Thread: Skype TX Video quality

Skype TX Video quality

Before Skype TX worked with peer to peer. Now with the update it seems they changed the technology.
    In my opinion the video quality is less.
    With the adaptive codec, when you send PowerPoint with no movement, the bitrate is dropping down to 1 mb.
    With low movement video the maximum videobitrate is 3,6 mb.
    What is your opinion.

Microsoft has changed the transport technology in Skype from peer to peer to client/server. Overall, this should be better for everyone. Previously, if you didn't get a direct peer to peer connection, the video quality was low resolution with no possibility of achieving HD video. Now with client/server everyone should be able to get good video.

I'm not aware of any changes to the video codec itself, but the software encoding of video up to 1080 resolution was added recently, before that the software encoding was limited to 720 resolution and the only way to get 1080 was using a hardware codec (like the one found in the Logitech C920 webcam).

Perhaps Microsoft has adjusted aspects of Skype so it adjusts bit-rates more aggressive to bandwidth? I too notice that video with lower motion will not push the video as high, but I thought it was always like that.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Kane,
    We used the unit with old setup for the same congress many times. For sure the picture quality dropped. I will look if i can find logs but the bitrate was higher before.
    Is it possible to check with Microsoft if the dropped the bitrate? It would be nice if you also can setup maximum bandwith with less motion. Powerpoint slides can not be used anymore.
    We did tests with VP9 google codec, 10mb but much better quality. We did the not with Skype TX hardware.

I'll take a look on my system again. I don't have any contact with Microsoft, but they control the Skype protocol.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Hi Mr
    We are from VTC, Vieet Nam
    We have just purchased VS 4000 from Newtek with SkypeTX ver : 2-0-170901 (S/N:NA9988870786473). The problem is:
    When We call a from mobile (Note 7, Iphone 7s) by Skype, On the Skype TX, The resolution on the incoming video is only 360 px x 450 px ( too low) . Althought, the picture from Skype on the mobile phone is HD. The incoming video must be HD-SDI from VS-4000 use in TV Studio , Right ?
    Please help me Increase resolution of Incoming video on the Skype TX
    The best regards
    Chu Hā