Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing myself as a new LW user

Introducing myself as a new LW user

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to give a quick intro. I am a recent convert to lightwave. I have used Maya most of my life in a studio environment but was looking for a personal software for home use that I could make my own shorts on. I always had a weird thing for lightwave back in the day (like 15 years ago) due to the render quality and just something about the layout of the software (as weird as this sounds I think there are benefits to a separate modeller and layout)... I finally came around to testing it out this month with LW 2018 trial and honestly I really love the software so far.

My only fear is that the software doesn't progress or get's shut down but otherwise lightwave with 3rd power tools is a really top notch product for personal use... it's actually quick in a lot of ways than maya because it's simpler and doesn't deal with things you don't need in a non studio environment. The render is insane.. genoma rigs and Rhigget are on par with a lot of what Maya can do.. I wish Lightwave advertised this program better and did some basic marketing and had steady upgrades because a lot of people are like me looking for a nice home use program that is affordable and has a perpetual licence... especially in the 3d printing world but even for other industries as well...

Hoping to see lightwave have a bright future.

As an aside the community is what got me to be so interested. You guys are all awesome and seem to really be advocates for the software and what it can do... and help each other out... nice to see. This kind of loyalty doesn't exist elsewhere.

Great to hear and welcome! LW is a great software...and it has a bright future! I have used it for animated shorts...and it works well for animation. 2018 is a great start to get back into it! Lots of new tgings to play with....and dont forget to check out Odtools,Wtools, truearts, lwcad! Lots of great 3rd party support!
    http://nitelightstudios.com/

Graphxs@sbcglobal.net

Tony Prohl
    Director of Art and Design
    DGN Games

Cheers and welcome to a fellow Canadian.............even if you are from......Toronto
    Last edited by c.1; 01-12-2018 at 09:56 PM.
    Don't be a dink get some ink

Lots of us here.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Welcome. We always have room for those in the northern lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    Welcome. We always have room for those in the northern lands.
    HAHAHAH I was born in Baltimore and lived in LA up until four months ago... man the winters in Toronto are brutal... Im hiding out inside and just messing with lightwave... couple more winters like this and i'll be a pro at lightwave ahhahahaha I refuse to go outside.

Yes, welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by ilanvfs View Post
    manthe winters in Toronto are brutal... Im hiding out inside and just messing with lightwave... couple more winters like this and i'll be a pro at lightwave ahhahahaha I refuse to go outside.

Move over here to the left coast.....sure every home is $1,000,000.00 + but hey the weather is warmer. I still wear shorts.
    Last edited by c.1; 01-12-2018 at 11:27 PM.

I lived in Vancouver for 2 years. May end up back there on and off if things work out. I don't think I am willing to spend next winter here. Toronto homes are even worse than Vancouver.. At least in Van you get something that looks nice..

I lived in Vancouver for 2 years...

Wwll we do have some killer micro brews here now so that is an incentive

Welcome!
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by c.1 View Post
    Move over here to the left coast.....sure every home is $1,000,000.00 + but hey the weather is warmer. I still wear shorts.
    I think you mis-understood the initial post. When he said he was looking to make shorts it wasn't the type you wear.
    Forum Tips
    If English is your first language, you should know it's 'losing' and not 'loosing'!

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Lots of us here.
    There´s always too many canadians on the ice at the same time..it always seems, should be more penatly shots on that
    Anyway...Welcome to yet another one in this game.

HAHAHAH I was born in Baltimore and lived in LA up until four months ago... man the winters in Toronto are brutal... Im hiding out inside and just messing with lightwave... couple more winters like this and i'll be a pro at lightwave ahhahahaha I refuse to go outside.
    Sorry, but Toronto isn't really even Canada. Real Canadian winters start north of you, around Barrie, and then begin to get serious around Huntsville. (And let's not even talk about Winnipeg, where the winds at Portage and Main can peel the flesh from your bones faster than a river full of piranha.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast