Thread: Premiere & Tricaster MOVs: Quicktime 32-bit warning

Premiere & Tricaster MOVs: Quicktime 32-bit warning

Hi all! Hope you had a good transition into 2018...

The other day I got a warning from Adobe Premiere CC2018 while loading a Tricaster recorded MOV.
    Something like this:
    "Warning! Support of 32 bit quicktime will be depreciated in a future version of Premiere Pro! We suggest you transcode all non-legacy media files if you still want to edit the files in the future!"

Do I have to worry? I couldn't find any post related to this message.

My version of Premiere is running on Win 7. I read that Adobe did some changes from CC2017 to CC2018 on how it handles video CODECs and will work better on Win 10. But I don't have a Win 10 machine at hand to test if the warning will still arise.

Any observations from your side? Thanks!
    ...RALF

Currently, Premiere 2018 still supports 32-bit Quicktime so things work as they did before. When support is removed, SpeedHQ encoded files will not work (unless Adobe happens to also update to a newer version of FFMPEG which does support SpeedHQ). XDCAM type MOV recording files will continue to work. The codec of the MOV in the TriCaster depends on the video format being recorded.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    Currently, Premiere 2018 still supports 32-bit Quicktime so things work as they did before. When support is removed, SpeedHQ encoded files will not work (unless Adobe happens to also update to a newer version of FFMPEG which does support SpeedHQ). XDCAM type MOV recording files will continue to work. The codec of the MOV in the TriCaster depends on the video format being recorded.
    So what is the solution? (other than holding on to an old version of Premiere) I mean Windows QT feature development ended something like 8 or 9 years ago. Do you guys have any intentions to update your codecs? I don't recall seeing the typical export dialog you would normally see within other applications in the TAE interface, did I just miss it along the line? Will double check tonight.
    Last edited by JohnnyRandom; 02-28-2018 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRandom View Post
    So what is the solution? (other than holding on to an old version of Premiere) I mean Windows QT feature development ended something like 8 or 9 years ago. Do you guys have any intentions to update your codecs? I don't recall seeing the typical export dialog you would normally see within other applications in the TAE interface, did I just miss it along the line? Will double check tonight.
    XDCAM is pretty universal and should work with any major NLE. XDCAM is what is typically used for most recording formats in the TriCaster.

SpeedHQ is now supported by FFMPEG and has been for over a year now. Any software that has dropped the Apple Quicktime libraries probably is moving to FFMPEG. As long as Adobe uses a current version of FFMPEG, then they will get SpeedHQ automatically. In fact, the new version of VLC Player 3.0 just released a few weeks ago is using the new libraries and now supports SpeedHQ codec playback. The SpeedHQ codec is used for video formats that XDCAM can't support (like 4K/UHD video).
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

Understood, thank you for the additional info and clarifications.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    XDCAM is what is typically used for most recording formats in the TriCaster.
    Hi, question plz
    in a 460 with AE with format can i use for recording using XDCAM?

the TC1 record on Mov files so not support XDCAM format?

Tricaster is the best thing that i've used since I played with my atari
    Gear Used:
    Tricaster: All 3Play:440
    Cam: JVC GY-HM600, GY-HM150U
    Facebook
    Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by alonso View Post
    Hi, question plz
    in a 460 with AE with format can i use for recording using XDCAM?

the TC1 record on Mov files so not support XDCAM format?
    This is all with the QuickTime/MOV recording.

You can double check the codec using the MediaInfo tool.
    https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

If the codec is XDCAM, you will see 'xd5b' as the Codec ID.
    If the codec is SpeedHQ, you will see 'SHQ#' listed as the Codec ID (the number will be between 0 and 9, like SHQ2).
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

I record everything in my 860AE (first version) with the setting of 1080 422 Quicktime or 720P 422
    and sometimes make a symultaneous High quality MP4.
    Are those XDCAM codecs?
    I will be having a need to be able to move these files to Premiere for editing in the future.
    Toasting since 1990
    Tricaster 855 Owner

I think they would be XDCAM, but you can verify by downloading MediaInfo tool and checking the CodecID on the recordings from your TriCaster.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.