Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to Update Firmware on Tricaster Mini

Hey Shane,
    Would the SLG, correspond to the company Slave Labor Graphics? That's just a question.
    With a T-40 version one I have broadcast many live video game tournaments to Twitch, using live sets that I've created, incorporating tournament gameplay coming in from all over the US and Canada, animations, b-roll, lower thirds. Everything that you could ask for really. It was done successfully, in real-time with the gameplay coming through at a high res 30fps with a custom streaming profile that I wrote. It looked real sweet and people loved it. That was done on a T-40. If a fully produced show can be broadcast to Twich from a T-40, I'm sure with a little thought you could make it happen with a mini. Sure you could also do it with OSB and some Elgato hardware and make a respectable go at it. Whatever gets the job done. No need to try and go on a non-stop troll run because you're unhappy with some things. Smile sometimes. Thanks.
    Tricaster 460 Advanced Edition 2, Tricaster 40 V1
    2 Sony PXW-X70 Cameras, 2 Panasonic AG-HMC40P Cameras
    VSE 2.5 - VSE Advanced Edition, A bunch of Doo-Dads and cables

I'm just a layman compared to these guys but based on my experience the cost of Advanced Edition has been worth it for the NDI capabilities alone. To be quite honest I don't even know what other features come with AE and don't care because that's how awesome NDI and the NDI Tools (that are offered for FREE) have been.
    Mike Riley
    Tri-City Storm and Viaero Center
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/michaelariley/

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    It all depends on what you need. For a church, school, corporation or mutli-camera live streamers (common customers for a TriCaster Mini models) 1080p60 isn't a requirement. It sounds like you are looking for streaming video games. Honesty, if all you need to do is the one task of streaming a game to Twitch or YouTube, that AverMedia is probably what you should use. It doesn't matter if the Mini had 1080p60 in this case, 99.9% of the game streamers out there aren't going to purchase a $6000 full production system to stream a video game output with a webcam overlay. Heck if it is a PC game you can do this for free using OBS Studio.

Now went it comes to producing eSports events, which might be what you are looking to do, our TC1 or IP Series system are a fantastic solutions. Twitch.tv has an IP Series and TC1 systems just to do that. I can also tell you that many other large eSport companies and game studios are also looking (or already have) our products. NDI is becoming a big force in the eSports world. Don't think that NewTek isn't all in for this market, it is a big focus. However this market isn't that the TC Mini was targeted for.

I'm not sure what happened with the update. What I do is use the download only option, then after that has completed I run the installers manually. In my case, I do this because I have multiple systems to update, but I also like to keep a copy of the current and previous versions of software. While I've rarely needed it, I always want the ability to go back to a previous version. I recommend trying this method, download only then install.

As for future software updates, even though Advanced Edition is out, free updates have continued for systems running the Standard version of software. If you get to a point where Advanced Edition is something you need, it is an option. It sounds like you don't need it and that is fine. It was the entire reason it was made a separate paid update. Instead of stopping development on Standard Edition and forcing everyone to get AE to stay current, everyone has a choice and either way you are still getting updates.
    So I ran into a problem. After I updated the firmware we can no longer stream to Twitch. We went back in and tried to set it up again with no luck. We had streamed to Twitch for over two years using our mini and now it won't work. I'm also curious because I found this video about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7tkH5QRNsc

Near the middle of the video the guy clicks a drop-down menu beside the Stream button and there's an option to select Twitch. Even after updating the firmware there's no drop down next to the Stream button and when you go in to set it up manually by clicking the gear there still isn't an option for Twitch. Why are his options different from mine?

When setting it up manually we put the url of our Twitch channel in the first field and our Twitch stream key in the second field. Then we tried it both with the login/pass and without. We could not get it to work and we had to abandon our weekly stream with hundreds of people waiting in the chat. Can you offer any insight or help on how to get it working with Twitch again? Thank you.
    Last edited by slgshane; 01-06-2018 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stream View Post
    Hey Shane,
    Would the SLG, correspond to the company Slave Labor Graphics? That's just a question.
    With a T-40 version one I have broadcast many live video game tournaments to Twitch, using live sets that I've created, incorporating tournament gameplay coming in from all over the US and Canada, animations, b-roll, lower thirds. Everything that you could ask for really. It was done successfully, in real-time with the gameplay coming through at a high res 30fps with a custom streaming profile that I wrote. It looked real sweet and people loved it. That was done on a T-40. If a fully produced show can be broadcast to Twich from a T-40, I'm sure with a little thought you could make it happen with a mini. Sure you could also do it with OSB and some Elgato hardware and make a respectable go at it. Whatever gets the job done. No need to try and go on a non-stop troll run because you're unhappy with some things. Smile sometimes. Thanks.
    I've been streaming on Twitch with my Mini for over two years. We do both live gameplay streams and talk shows with three cameras, motion graphics, and B roll. I know what it's capable of. My main complaint is that the output is always 720p and that I should be able to output 1080p with fewer features enabled to relieve the strain on the hardware. SLG does not stand for what you asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio_TVPat1982 View Post
    If you are just looking for a device to stream something at 1080p you will find a bunch of solutions much cheaper than the MINI. The MINI is much more than a streaming and encoding machine however. You are probably correct that most people doing TV are going to use a higher solution (like the TC1) but the MINI certainly serves its purpose streaming online at 1080i. You have to consider that the small frame on AE can do the following:

8 Cameras or NDI inputs in HD
    2 DDRs
    2 Layers of graphics
    15 Frame buffers
    4 MEs
    4 Replay Angles
    Stream to multiple desinations
    Multiple channels of incoming and outgoing audio
    Archive both video and audio files
    4 Independent Outputs (Plus NDI Out)
    Advanced Macro options

Add in several AE options not listed above and you really have a very powerful machine that can fit in a standard backpack.

Some people seem to get confused and consider the MINI to be a full scale production truck solution. I purchased mine to have a very small footprint. I use a 3 machine system with a Mac Mini, and a laptop. Those 3 machines fit between one very small case and my laptop bag.

If you are in to buying and building your own machine there are now several options both PC and Mac that includes NDI features. Just be aware that they are not plug and play like a Tricaster. Converting signals to get them in to your machine gets very costly real quick. Just look at the price of one quad SDI or HDMI capture card.
    I've had my Mini for over two years. I know what it can do. We do a three-camera talk show with motion graphics, overlays, and B roll. The problem is that the end result is always 720p and looks awful on modern TVs. I realize that using an Avermedia box is cheaper and will stream at 1080p. I have one. My point is, the Mini should have an option to use just one camera, gameplay, and an overlay and output at 1080p. If you chop out all the other inputs and just focus on those three things there's plenty of hardware in the Mini to make it happen. I think Avermedia should focus on satisfying the most likely usage of the Mini instead of piling on features for professional broadcasts that no one is using the Mini for.

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Since you ask, you may want to consider the tone of your comments. You implied that both Kane and I lied when responding to your remarks. You feel free to make negative (and wrong) assertions about NewTek's business and development strategies, based on the absence of exactly one specific feature in a product that has been on the market for quite a few years now.

As Kane pointed out, when Mini shipped, 1080/p60 in the real world was virtually non-existent, and it wasn't designed for it. And - despite it's only relatively recently starting to gain importance for some niche applications in streaming contexts, it's still relatively rare in broadcast. Still, and unsurprisingly, our most recent models do support 1080/p60 (also 4k at p60). Both their price and performance has become all the more attractive due to advancing technology.

I've little doubt that, in the fullness of time, we will see NewTek products that more specifically address advances in the lower mid-range, but Mini continues to be a strong product, and a top seller ... despite the existence of $160 'competition'. Presumably this is because someone out there finds it attractive, even if you feel differently. There were plenty of "simple and cheap streaming options" on the market when Mini was first launched, yet it has done very well. I don't think it aims at the same market, nor frankly does it seem likely we will be spending a lot of engineering time to complete with current or future sub-$1k switching/streaming products.

Again, whatever validity there may be to any point you wish to make, most of your assertions are incorrect, and the manner of your making them is insulting. Perhaps you need to give a little thought to how you communicate what is essentially a feature request.
    So I ran into a problem. After I updated the firmware we can no longer stream to Twitch. We went back in and tried to set it up again with no luck. We had streamed to Twitch for over two years using our mini and now it won't work. I'm also curious because I found this video about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7tkH5QRNsc

Near the middle of the video the guy clicks a drop-down menu beside the Stream button and there's an option to select Twitch. Even after updating the firmware there's no drop down next to the Stream button and when you go in to set it up manually by clicking the gear there still isn't an option for Twitch. Why are his options different from mine?

When setting it up manually we put the url of our Twitch channel in the first field and our Twitch stream key in the second field. Then we tried it both with the login/pass and without. We could not get it to work and we had to abandon our weekly stream with hundreds of people waiting in the chat. Can you offer any insight or help on how to get it working with Twitch again? Thank you.

The reason that the TriCaster Mini can't input 1080p60 is the same reason no other video input card from BlackMagic or AJA (or anyone) can't go beyond what it was designed to do. The chips on the SDI or HDMI inputs aren't capable of supporting this format. It doesn't have anything to do with how many or how few inputs are being used on the system or CPU, GPU or memory. The video I/O hardware on the Mini can handle the video formats it can handle. If it was just a software change to make this happen it would of happened a while ago!

As for the streaming. In the video he is running Advanced Edition v1, which has a new streaming engine (one of AE's new features) that allows for custom CDN streaming connections (like Twitch, YouTube, Facebook, UStream, etc) along with supporting streaming video formats like 1080 and the ability to stream to multiple destinations.

The streaming engine hasn't changed in Standard Edition, it is the same streaming engine as before and will work exactly the same. I'm not sure what the issue you are running into, but nothing different should be required from how you were doing it.
    Last edited by kanep; 01-08-2018 at 04:55 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12