Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5% to 30% performance hit on cpu renderering

I honestly think they should focus more on securing communication.. because let's face it.. this is the pipe all those attacks go through.

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    5% to 30% performance hit for computers built within a decade.
    'Kernel memory leaking' Intel processor design flaw forces Linux, Windows redesign
    Other OSes will need an update, performance hits loom.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...u_design_flaw/

Gpu all the way.
    One of the most ill-informed and stupid topics I've ever read on this forum.

This is about the kernels of the Operating systems; not about Render engines or any software running ontop of these Operating systems...

Educate yourself before creating a "drama" thread.
    Last edited by Cageman; 01-07-2018 at 03:51 PM.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    One of the most ill-informed and stupid topics I've ever read on this forum.

This is about the kernels of the Operating systems; not about Render engines or any software running ontop of these Operating systems...

Educate yourself before creating a "drama" thread.
    The news says overall performance.
    Why don't you stick with your fabulous joystick renders. Lol!
    Last edited by samurai_x; 01-07-2018 at 07:43 PM.

Very "ill-informed":

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	42 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	139287
    (Fortnight servers. Which mostly only crunch numbers btw.)

We know it is about kernels. I think you underestimate the impact.
    And it is not about rendering engines either. It is about a patch that can have a very significant effect on the overall performance on your computer.

And I can think of one thing that affects performance.. since we are talking about kernel operations.... DRM.
    Last edited by MichaelT; 01-08-2018 at 01:27 AM.

That's from Epic games right?
    20 percent increase in CPU utilization after installing the patch.

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    That's from Epic games right?
    20 percent increase in CPU utilization after installing the patch.
    Yup. Fortnight servers.

I got the patch on Saturday evening for Win 10 and and probably most Win 10 users have it by now. Well I can't give any LW2018 benchmark figures on the patch because I didn't write down any prepatch numbers. But blender wise the difference is negligible for the gooseberry one on my system. My old Gooseberry benchmark was 22m 10.19s with my AMD 1950x OCed to 4.0Ghz pre patch, the current one post patch is 22m 47.13s but that is also with a drop in my OC setting to 3.8Ghz (I lowered the OC because the CPU ran much hotter given the amount of performance an extra 200mhz offered). So I am guessing that the patch on the CPU render side is going to only really cost you a lot of performance if the renderer has to constantly ask for or swap out things from memory during rendering. So low memory situations, or multitasking will lower performance much more than pre-patch but for anything that basically fits easily into memory the amount of extra processing is negligible. Anything constantly allocating/deallocating memory will probably hit that higher level performance penalty percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by Lito View Post
    I got the patch on Saturday evening for Win 10 and and probably most Win 10 users have it by now. Well I can't give any LW2018 benchmark figures on the patch because I didn't write down any prepatch numbers. But blender wise the difference is negligible for the gooseberry one on my system. My old Gooseberry benchmark was 22m 10.19s with my AMD 1950x OCed to 4.0Ghz pre patch, the current one post patch is 22m 47.13s but that is also with a drop in my OC setting to 3.8Ghz (I lowered the OC because the CPU ran much hotter given the amount of performance an extra 200mhz offered). So I am guessing that the patch on the CPU render side is going to only really cost you a lot of performance if the renderer has to constantly ask for or swap out things from memory during rendering. So low memory situations, or multitasking will lower performance much more than pre-patch but for anything that basically fits easily into memory the amount of extra processing is negligible. Anything constantly allocating/deallocating memory will probably hit that higher level performance penalty percentage.
    Just out of interest/curiosity, what O/S version and build number are you now running in Wondows 10 ? I did get a patch on my LW PC last week that caused me a whole load of problems but nothing since then. My LW PC is Windows 10 Pro while my internet and other stuff PC is Windows 10 Home. Both are showing:

Version 1709
    Build 16299.125
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Good good .. happy to hear that. It will be interesting to see more reports from people. I've heard good ones (like yours) and awful ones.. like older AMD chips ending up in more or less locked state. So, we'll see.

nvme is hit quite badly it seems... I see as much as 40% reduction in performance (mainly very small files), SSDs are affected but not as badly.. So disk activity indeed seems to be affected the most (so far)
    Games are affected, but not very much.

Personally I hope the disk thing is addressed.. because I will be affected by this.
    Last edited by MichaelT; 01-08-2018 at 03:06 PM.

The patch brought me up to 1709 build 16299.192.

The patch brought me up to 1709 build 16299.192.
    Dang, just left this PC for a while to have my evening meal...and now it is on Build 16299.192 as well. Oh well
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Well, at least you're not one of the "lucky" ones, who got their computer bricked by this update (AMD chips.. older ones) because Microsoft apparently disabled update for those computers.
    I blocked updates.. because I'm terrified of the nvme drives being hit so badly with up to 40% drop in performance. With that, my music program would tank. It would be impossible to write music as it streams off the drive.
    Don't know if they'll fix that any time soon either

Edit: Seems to be different brands mostly. I might get away with only a few % at worst. So that is some relief.

I so do hate this forced patching nonsense. It really must stop.

Anyway.. as it looks now.. I'll probably upgrade.
    Last edited by MichaelT; 01-10-2018 at 03:25 PM.

just to point out, i had this patch install about a week ago, no it dosnt affect things like rendering, however it has broken a lot of software, specifically things that monitor or scan your computer, Spacesniffer, Aisuite, that sort of thing, although these are only the first ones ive seen,
    Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
    Well, at least you're not one of the "lucky" ones, who got their computer bricked by this update (AMD chips.. older ones) because Microsoft apparently disabled update for those computers.
    I blocked updates.. because I'm terrified of the nvme drives being hit so badly with up to 40% drop in performance. With that, my music program would tank. It would be impossible to write music as it streams off the drive.
    Don't know if they'll fix that any time soon either

Edit: Seems to be different brands mostly. I might get away with only a few % at worst. So that is some relief.

I so do hate this forced patching nonsense. It really must stop.

Anyway.. as it looks now.. I'll probably upgrade.
    You don't really need to - there's a snowballs chance in hell of you falling victim from an attack like this.
    - Ignorance is bliss...

Technically no, don't *need* to But if I plan on getting any other upgrades I must.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast