Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5% to 30% performance hit on cpu renderering

5% to 30% performance hit on cpu renderering

5% to 30% performance hit for computers built within a decade.
    'Kernel memory leaking' Intel processor design flaw forces Linux, Windows redesign
    Other OSes will need an update, performance hits loom.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...u_design_flaw/

Gpu all the way.

I believe AMD is unaffected, so Threadripper seems a reasonable option for the next PC build...

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    5% to 30% performance hit for computers built within a decade.
    'Kernel memory leaking' Intel processor design flaw forces Linux, Windows redesign
    Other OSes will need an update, performance hits loom.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...u_design_flaw/

Gpu all the way.
    Also, the guy who created minix wrote an open letter to Intel some time ago: http://www.cs.vu.nl/~ast/intel

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    I believe AMD is unaffected, so Threadripper seems a reasonable option for the next PC build...
    Wonder what would happen if companies etc.. started demanding Intel to replace these faulty chips. Or even a class action lawsuit. Could get nasty.

yes, for companies like amazon and google a 30% drop could represent billions of business loss, so we get lw2018 and then straight after we get a 30% speed drop, cool, and it took 10 years to spot it?
    Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    yes, for companies like amazon and google a 30% drop could represent billions of business loss, so we get lw2018 and then straight after we get a 30% speed drop, cool, and it took 10 years to spot it?
    Actually haven't people noticed there's some speed drop with lw 2018's renderer? Going bidirectional pathtracing on cpu would always be slower.
    I was using indigo renderer before, which is not so different to lw 2018 renderer, but it supported cpu and gpu . The difference using cpu and gpu was enormous in indigo.

And it is a very noticeable drop.. imagine a 3ghz cpu performing like a 2ghz one. Imagine the sh*tstorm that will come when those patches are out. Now I am especially happy I have disabled Microsofts auto updates.

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    Actually haven't people noticed there's some speed drop with lw 2018's renderer? Going bidirectional pathtracing on cpu would always be slower.
    I was using indigo renderer before, which is not so different to lw 2018 renderer, but it supported cpu and gpu . The difference using cpu and gpu was enormous in indigo.
    actually with the scenes i was working with just before i got 2018, they are much faster now, for internal renders i think it will be slower, but for external, volumetric and so on once you start tweaking the settings its far faster, and ive not even dropped the settings and started using the denoiser yet,
    Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator

Last edited by Mastoy; 01-03-2018 at 09:53 AM.

actually with the scenes i was working with just before i got 2018, they are much faster now, for internal renders i think it will be slower, but for external, volumetric and so on once you start tweaking the settings its far faster, and ive not even dropped the settings and started using the denoiser yet,
    Good to know. Need further testing.
    For interiors, probably the same. Lightwave 2015 was never fast with interiors. I have kray for that.
    Volumetric - lw 2018 is faster than lw 2015. Faster than redshift, octane, cycles using a sample vdb? Not tested but I'm sure gpu will be faster.
    Exteriors - Is it faster than dpsun+backdrop radiosity? Need to test. Exteriors aren't really problematic with most render engines. Even octane is fast for exteriors.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
    Now I am especially happy I have disabled Microsofts auto updates.
    So just to be sure I understand your position: You'd rather continue to operate with the serious security hole in question present (plus all the others you've missed), rather than take a patch that closes the hole (but incurs perf. cost)?

Good luck with that!
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.2),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    So just to be sure I understand your position: You'd rather continue to operate with the serious security hole in question present (plus all the others you've missed), rather than take a patch that closes the hole (but incurs perf. cost)?

Good luck with that!
    Microsoft automatic updates are a sore point for me right now after spending around 7 hours yesterday sorting out the mess the latest Win 10 patch caused to my Lightwave PC I do allow the updates as the security aspect does concern me but when it results in my PC being unusable I have serious second thoughts about it. Yesterday's fun and games were only resolved after swapping in an ancient nvidia graphics card, attaching it to an equally old Dell 4:3 monitor, then swapping in a more recent 1050ti graphics card, then reconnecting my regular monitor and finally reinstating my Quadro graphics card. Oh, and several graphics driver install/unistall/resinstall cycles plus a touch of CCleaner tidying up All this because for some reason the latest Win 10 update decided it no longer recognised my monitor so kept switching to an incompatible signal which my monitor could not recognise.
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Good luck with that!
    Actually, it might be a good choice because the hole seems to be not too easy to exploit and if you take care to run only trusted programs (i.e., have virus and malware protection on), the chances of being affected may to too low to be worth taking a steady performance hit across all apps.
    Last edited by Sekhar; 01-03-2018 at 12:51 PM.

Good luck with that!
    but at the same time, the hole has been there for 10 years

Good luck with that!
    You're assuming that some nefarious person have physical access to my computer. And even if they (somehow) manage to attack it remotely, I still would avoid a patch that literally caps the cpu performance at the kneecaps. I'd much rather prefer if companies like Microsoft et.al. forced Intel to face up, and replace the cpus. Like if that would ever happen. But yeah... when performance is capped that badly... yeah... I'll pass on that patch. I'd like performance to stay in 2018 thank you very much... not in 2006. I suddenly see AMD stock rising on the horizon.
    Last edited by MichaelT; 01-03-2018 at 01:59 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast