Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New video training for 2018

Hi RebelHill,

Thanks for your awesome videos. I went through quite a few of them and it helped me out a bit in Layout. I did kind of fall asleep when you were setting up the nodes for PBR in your 'standard shader' video, though. It felt like we were creeping into Pov-Ray territory.... But that's how I am with nodes.

I'm glad that I can still achieve good PBR-esque materials using the standard shader even if it does require some extra manual work. I can play with the Principled BDSF material but the standard shader feels more familiar to me.

There is one thing I'm hoping you could clarify for me. In your videos, you mentioned the conservation of energy and how you had the adjust the settings in the standard shader so that it fits the formula. However, I'd like to know the FULL range of which settings (IE diffuse, specular, gloss, etc...) that need to be considered in LW2018 to ensure the 100% total value?

I just want to make sure there are no settings/attributes that you may have missed to ensure that I can get things looking right.

You know, the weird thing is that whenever you spoke on your videos, I always imagined Simon Tofield doing the voice as he sounds similar (he's an animator who makes "Simon's Cat"). I know, silly....

Thanks again for your great videos. I know that if I ever need a good sleep, I can always watch one of your videos where you set up nodes

Cheers,
    Revanto
    ---------------------
    I'm a Mega 3D dude!!!
    ---------------------
    Check out my friend's OLD Youtube tutorials
    Mix Mash's tutes

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Revanto View Post
    In your videos, you mentioned the conservation of energy and how you had the adjust the settings in the standard shader so that it fits the formula. However, I'd like to know the FULL range of which settings (IE diffuse, specular, gloss, etc...) that need to be considered in LW2018 to ensure the 100% total value?
    So... energy conservation is ONLY about the TRANSPORT of light (or more correctly, it's energy). Thus, the only things that need to balance out (add up) are diffuse, specular, and transmission. If you've got 60% specular reflection and 60% transparency, that means you're putting 100% of light "in", and getting 120% "out". Remember that when I say transmission, that includes transparency (as in glass), translucency and SSS.

How blurry/sharp/soft/scattered something is matters not a jot to the energy conservation, that's just the "spread" of the "outgoing" light from the surface. You also don't need to care about luminosity, as this is light emitted from the surface, not being bounced off/through it, and that represents light energy being "added" by the surface itself.

The standard material might well feel more familiar, but remember it's inclusion is mainly to give backwards compatability with surfaces created in earlier versions of LW... to ensure that it's pbr correct for the new renderer does require a bit of extra work to make sure you're getting the conservation right, and the nodes certainly do help (since you can take the inverse of one value to drive another, ensuring proper behaviour, and doubly so when it comes to managing things like fresnel effects). That said, you will do well when either recreating old surfaces for 2018, or doing all new work in it, to have a go with the Principled material... since it does all this stuff for you automatically, and you can focus on the material "look" in terms of the conductor/insulator divide discussed in the foundations videos there. It may seem a bit weird at first, since it does represent a quite different workflow and way of thinking, but once youve used it a few times and gotten a bit used to it, you'll love it more than standard and find it easy as pie. (And thanks to it doing so much of the pbr work for you, you'll find it even less necessary to fiddle about much with nodes, aside from plugging in the odd texture map or procedural which, lets be honest, is flippin easy)

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    The only complaint I have is the US dollar is not what it used to be
    Nah... it's totally what it USED to be, now that the currency markets have mostly gotten over themselves with respect to the whole brexit shenanigans.
    Last edited by RebelHill; 01-07-2018 at 10:20 AM.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    GI Tutorial On cmiVFX
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Hi, your tutorials are awesome.

Can you make something about interior lighting?

Regards!
    English is not my native language so please be patient.

Salvador Ureña
    http://urenasalvador.wixsite.com/portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Asticles View Post
    Can you make something about interior lighting?
    That's gonna be in the final series once done (it's also in the early bird advance set).
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    GI Tutorial On cmiVFX
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    That's gonna be in the final series once done (it's also in the early bird advance set).
    Hi RebelHill, I've paid for the early bird and haven't received any links (which is fine as I'm happy to wait till final version then go through it all in order), but I'm just checking I haven't misunderstood anything.

Thanks for your answer.

Btw, your GI Tutorial On cmiVFX link does not work for me.

Regards
    English is not my native language so please be patient.

Salvador Ureña
    http://urenasalvador.wixsite.com/portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Asticles View Post
    Btw, your GI Tutorial On cmiVFX link does not work for me.
    Oh, so it doesnt... it can be found with a search though... https://cmivfx.com/search?utf8=%E2%9...erms=lightwave

However, do note that this is all using the old system, 2018 has a good few changes which put that tutorial out of date. But fear not, the new workings of the 2018 GI system will be covered in these new 2018 videos.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    GI Tutorial On cmiVFX
    YT Vids Tuts for all

So... energy conservation is ONLY about the TRANSPORT of light (or more correctly, it's energy). Thus, the only things that need to balance out (add up) are diffuse, specular, and transmission. If you've got 60% specular reflection and 60% transparency, that means you're putting 100% of light "in", and getting 120% "out". Remember that when I say transmission, that includes transparency (as in glass), translucency and SSS.
    OK, I get that but that last bit stumps me. You are saying that the values:

Diffuse + Specular + Transmission = 100%

However, you split Transmission into three parts. So, does that mean the values are:

Diffuse + Specular + (Transparency + Translucency + SSS) = 100% ?

Also, is the Specular value split into any groups like EG Specular = Specular + Gloss/Roughness?

Ages ago I was watching a video that mentioned that the Diffuse colour also equalled the Diffuse Value. Meaning, the luminance value of the Diffuse colour is used to determine the Diffuse value. Is this correct?
    I'm not sure if you mentioned this in your videos, though, that is, if that is correct.

Thank you for your reply, by the way. Helpful info.

Cheers,
    Revanto
    ---------------------
    I'm a Mega 3D dude!!!
    ---------------------
    Check out my friend's OLD Youtube tutorials
    Mix Mash's tutes

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Hi RebelHill, I've paid for the early bird and haven't received any links (which is fine as I'm happy to wait till final version then go through it all in order), but I'm just checking I haven't misunderstood anything.
    I am on the same boat
    www.oliviermichon.fr | 3D Animation, Motion Graphics and Broadcast Design.

I guess there's many of us in that boat. We'll get our grog as the Captain releases it sailor by sailor, I presume.
    Salut!,
    Allabulle.

Blog Entries
    Love all the new videos they are awesome thank you.

Like a few other people asked about Interior Lighting how to's would be awesome.

But having difficulty wrapping my head around some issues with indoor, interior lighting... with the new lights..

hmmm going to see if this new thinking cap made out of alum foil used for alien mind probe protection will work...

Intel Core i7-980, OC 4.7ghz water cooled.
    Gigabyte x58-UD3R with an Intell SSD 180GIG
    RamCorsair-DDR3-1600-32GIG
    Nvidia Titan Z, x 2 And 1 GTX-1080 by Gigabyte.
    4xEnterprise/WDVelociRaptor®300gig

Quote Originally Posted by allabulle View Post
    I guess there's many of us in that boat.
    Yeah... a couple days overdue on my expectation. Mainly it's been because I keep seeing folk posting around, different questions, misunderstandings, confusions, and it makes me think... ooh, I should add that in, or maybe explain this certain thing a bit differently. So I go back make some changes, re-record a bit, etc. It's left me with a couple do-overs, and by the time I change something, invariably there are new posts/questions that make me think again.

On the one hand its a pain in the arse, and has led to a bit of repeating stuff... on the other though, it's really good, as folks initial experiences with 2018 are helping me shape some of the most important explanations for how to work with the new system. This can only serve to make the tutorials more thorough, complete, and clear overall, which should improve their usefulness and value for everyone. So to that extent Im happy, and I'm quite confident you all will be too.

Anyhow, the initial early bird set is pretty much ready now... there's near 9 hours worth of stuff, so plenty to learn. Just gotta be uploading the zips, which is currently a bit slow on my connection (went fine last night, today its crap). But it's all going, so... links tomorrow!

Cheers all.
    Last edited by RebelHill; 01-08-2018 at 11:28 AM.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    GI Tutorial On cmiVFX
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Aye Captain. Good news indeed. And thanks.
    Salut!,
    Allabulle.

Same, and a particularly fine reason for the delay.

Thanks for the news RH, seems very promising and informative, as always with your products
    www.oliviermichon.fr | 3D Animation, Motion Graphics and Broadcast Design.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast