Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Love the new docs.lightwave3d.com! Great Job BeeVee & Co!

Quote Originally Posted by NeonZ View Post
    I used the link from the Readme.txt file (http://docs.lightwave3d.com/) and the page couldn't be displayed. Could be that port 80 needs to be enabled for this sub-domain? Happy to use HTTPS, though! If HTTPS only, readme.txt file needs to be updated in the install package!
    Confirmed here. http times out. https works fine. So link on the home page of lightwave3d.com works fine, it's https but if there are links to http they may not work.

Windows 10 at home and at work, just fine. Desktop is normal, I don't use start page etc. It's really no different except under the hood. I don't have crashes and I'm pleased. Happy I'm not on an old OS that will be forced out of my hands one day... At least I was able to move to it on my terms and timing

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

Question Tracking user reference rates?

Yo! BeeVee!

Does the new doc system have any facilities to note WHICH portions of the dox get referenced the most often?

My thinking is: if something is repeatedly referenced by a single user, maybe it needs some work.

If it's globally referenced, but not repeatedly, it's just Important ('cuz everybody is looking at it) and should be examined for completeness. ---Or it's fine.

Thinking of ways for the dox to continuously evolve, not just from "yeah, it's in there" to "good examples, very clear".
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonZ View Post
    I used the link from the Readme.txt file (http://docs.lightwave3d.com/) and the page couldn't be displayed. Could be that port 80 needs to be enabled for this sub-domain? Happy to use HTTPS, though! If HTTPS only, readme.txt file needs to be updated in the install package!
    Good find Martin! Please open a bug report to that effect.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 960 (388.59, 4GB and 1024 CUDA cores)
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (306.97 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Does the new doc system have any facilities to note WHICH portions of the dox get referenced the most often?

My thinking is: if something is repeatedly referenced by a single user, maybe it needs some work.

If it's globally referenced, but not repeatedly, it's just Important ('cuz everybody is looking at it) and should be examined for completeness. ---Or it's fine.

Thinking of ways for the dox to continuously evolve, not just from "yeah, it's in there" to "good examples, very clear".
    To be honest I'm not sure it has any tracking facilities like that, but it would be good. Certainly, the more eyes on it, reporting issues with it, the better it will get. As it is, since the release at the start of the year, I have updated it based on reports from a dozen people or more and that makes me happy. Right now, I am going to start a proper tutorial to setting up NRC since it seems to be giving people trouble - annoying for something that was designed to be easier than Screamernet!

B
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 960 (388.59, 4GB and 1024 CUDA cores)
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (306.97 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit, 8GB RAM

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    As it is, since the release at the start of the year, I have updated it based on reports from a dozen people or more and that makes me happy. Right now, I am going to start a proper tutorial to setting up NRC since it seems to be giving people trouble - annoying for something that was designed to be easier than Screamernet!
    B
    Very good, and glad to hear it.

Read that, everybody??? REPORT BUGS (including dox) AND THINGS HAPPEN. Good Things.

Traitor
    To be honest I'm not sure it has any tracking facilities like that, but it would be good. Certainly, the more eyes on it, reporting issues with it, the better it will get. As it is, since the release at the start of the year, I have updated it based on reports from a dozen people or more and that makes me happy. Right now, I am going to start a proper tutorial to setting up NRC since it seems to be giving people trouble - annoying for something that was designed to be easier than Screamernet!

B
    it does, but you need to be logged in. There's a number of macros available to do so. You could probably just publish whatever it generates for you. Though if you were using the documentation theme, you can just browse > pages > recently updated.
    If you open your mind too much, your brain will fall out - T.Minchin

Is there a way that a list could be posted here at the head of this thread [or a new dedicated one] that could show what has been found to be errors in the docs, so that users aren't searching for ones already discovered?

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCurtis View Post
    Is there a way that a list could be posted here at the head of this thread [or a new dedicated one] that could show what has been found to be errors in the docs, so that users aren't searching for ones already discovered?
    +1

Also, since the dox can now be updated (although I never understood why the PDFs couldn't be updated), I'd like to know what the planned SCHEDULE for updates is: weekly? Monthly? Whenever???

As soon as a bug gets reported I work on it (for the most part, some issues take longer than others). I have corrected or made additions to over twenty pages so far.

B

Cool. I can't wait to read the NRC tutorial.

Excellent work -- but interesting page header...

"Back In Time" page header

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW201Modeler

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LW docs modeler page header.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	139388  

I've been trying to access the docs on my iPad while away from my main computers or travelling and despite logging in with my Newtek Account details or my login details for this forum, it keeps asking me to log in and will not allow me to continue any further than the welcome screen!
    I can access the URL just fine on the main computer so whats with the login requirement on the (https://docs.lightwave3d.com/) address from the tablet?
    Thanks for any help!

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    As soon as a bug gets reported I work on it (for the most part, some issues take longer than others). I have corrected or made additions to over twenty pages so far.
    B
    So, it's pretty much immediate (within human limitations) and ongoing? That is, corrections and additions aren't stored up for group release?

(Sorry(ish) if I'm banging on about this, just want to know. See, I never understood why the PDFs apparently weren't updated weekly/as necessary, TMK.)

Quote Originally Posted by jdw View Post
    Darn, I thought I had got all those. Bug it for me wouldja?

B

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RedTed View Post
    I've been trying to access the docs on my iPad while away from my main computers or travelling and despite logging in with my Newtek Account details or my login details for this forum, it keeps asking me to log in and will not allow me to continue any further than the welcome screen!
    I can access the URL just fine on the main computer so whats with the login requirement on the (https://docs.lightwave3d.com/) address from the tablet?
    Thanks for any help!
    Report that as a bug too, please RedTed. It shouldn't ask for a password just because you're on a different platform.

B

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast