Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 76

Thread: Love the new docs.lightwave3d.com! Great Job BeeVee & Co!

  1. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonZ View Post
    I used the link from the Readme.txt file (http://docs.lightwave3d.com/) and the page couldn't be displayed. Could be that port 80 needs to be enabled for this sub-domain? Happy to use HTTPS, though! If HTTPS only, readme.txt file needs to be updated in the install package!
    Confirmed here. http times out. https works fine. So link on the home page of lightwave3d.com works fine, it's https but if there are links to http they may not work.

    Windows 10 at home and at work, just fine. Desktop is normal, I don't use start page etc. It's really no different except under the hood. I don't have crashes and I'm pleased. Happy I'm not on an old OS that will be forced out of my hands one day... At least I was able to move to it on my terms and timing

  2. #47
    Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    14,210

    Question Tracking user reference rates?

    Yo! BeeVee!

    Does the new doc system have any facilities to note WHICH portions of the dox get referenced the most often?

    My thinking is: if something is repeatedly referenced by a single user, maybe it needs some work.

    If it's globally referenced, but not repeatedly, it's just Important ('cuz everybody is looking at it) and should be examined for completeness. ---Or it's fine.


    Thinking of ways for the dox to continuously evolve, not just from "yeah, it's in there" to "good examples, very clear".
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

  3. #48
    LightWave documentation BeeVee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Pessac
    Posts
    4,786
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonZ View Post
    I used the link from the Readme.txt file (http://docs.lightwave3d.com/) and the page couldn't be displayed. Could be that port 80 needs to be enabled for this sub-domain? Happy to use HTTPS, though! If HTTPS only, readme.txt file needs to be updated in the install package!
    Good find Martin! Please open a bug report to that effect.

    B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 960 (388.59, 4GB and 1024 CUDA cores)
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (306.97 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

  4. #49
    LightWave documentation BeeVee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Pessac
    Posts
    4,786
    Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Does the new doc system have any facilities to note WHICH portions of the dox get referenced the most often?

    My thinking is: if something is repeatedly referenced by a single user, maybe it needs some work.

    If it's globally referenced, but not repeatedly, it's just Important ('cuz everybody is looking at it) and should be examined for completeness. ---Or it's fine.

    Thinking of ways for the dox to continuously evolve, not just from "yeah, it's in there" to "good examples, very clear".
    To be honest I'm not sure it has any tracking facilities like that, but it would be good. Certainly, the more eyes on it, reporting issues with it, the better it will get. As it is, since the release at the start of the year, I have updated it based on reports from a dozen people or more and that makes me happy. Right now, I am going to start a proper tutorial to setting up NRC since it seems to be giving people trouble - annoying for something that was designed to be easier than Screamernet!

    B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 960 (388.59, 4GB and 1024 CUDA cores)
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (306.97 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

  5. #50

  6. #51
    Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    14,210
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    As it is, since the release at the start of the year, I have updated it based on reports from a dozen people or more and that makes me happy. Right now, I am going to start a proper tutorial to setting up NRC since it seems to be giving people trouble - annoying for something that was designed to be easier than Screamernet!
    B
    Very good, and glad to hear it.

    Read that, everybody??? REPORT BUGS (including dox) AND THINGS HAPPEN. Good Things.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

  7. #52
    Traitor
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    To be honest I'm not sure it has any tracking facilities like that, but it would be good. Certainly, the more eyes on it, reporting issues with it, the better it will get. As it is, since the release at the start of the year, I have updated it based on reports from a dozen people or more and that makes me happy. Right now, I am going to start a proper tutorial to setting up NRC since it seems to be giving people trouble - annoying for something that was designed to be easier than Screamernet!

    B
    it does, but you need to be logged in. There's a number of macros available to do so. You could probably just publish whatever it generates for you. Though if you were using the documentation theme, you can just browse > pages > recently updated.
    If you open your mind too much, your brain will fall out - T.Minchin

  8. #53
    Is there a way that a list could be posted here at the head of this thread [or a new dedicated one] that could show what has been found to be errors in the docs, so that users aren't searching for ones already discovered?

  9. #54
    Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    14,210
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCurtis View Post
    Is there a way that a list could be posted here at the head of this thread [or a new dedicated one] that could show what has been found to be errors in the docs, so that users aren't searching for ones already discovered?
    +1

    Also, since the dox can now be updated (although I never understood why the PDFs couldn't be updated), I'd like to know what the planned SCHEDULE for updates is: weekly? Monthly? Whenever???
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

  10. #55
    LightWave documentation BeeVee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Pessac
    Posts
    4,786
    As soon as a bug gets reported I work on it (for the most part, some issues take longer than others). I have corrected or made additions to over twenty pages so far.

    B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 960 (388.59, 4GB and 1024 CUDA cores)
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (306.97 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

  11. #56
    Super Member CaptainMarlowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Belfort, France
    Posts
    1,688
    Cool. I can't wait to read the NRC tutorial.

  12. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    32

    Excellent work -- but interesting page header...

    "Back In Time" page header

    https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW201Modeler

    Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LW docs modeler page header.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	139388  

  13. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Posts
    1
    I've been trying to access the docs on my iPad while away from my main computers or travelling and despite logging in with my Newtek Account details or my login details for this forum, it keeps asking me to log in and will not allow me to continue any further than the welcome screen!
    I can access the URL just fine on the main computer so whats with the login requirement on the (https://docs.lightwave3d.com/) address from the tablet?
    Thanks for any help!

  14. #59
    Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    14,210
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    As soon as a bug gets reported I work on it (for the most part, some issues take longer than others). I have corrected or made additions to over twenty pages so far.
    B
    So, it's pretty much immediate (within human limitations) and ongoing? That is, corrections and additions aren't stored up for group release?

    (Sorry(ish) if I'm banging on about this, just want to know. See, I never understood why the PDFs apparently weren't updated weekly/as necessary, TMK.)
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

  15. #60
    LightWave documentation BeeVee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Pessac
    Posts
    4,786
    Quote Originally Posted by jdw View Post
    Darn, I thought I had got all those. Bug it for me wouldja?

    B

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTed View Post
    I've been trying to access the docs on my iPad while away from my main computers or travelling and despite logging in with my Newtek Account details or my login details for this forum, it keeps asking me to log in and will not allow me to continue any further than the welcome screen!
    I can access the URL just fine on the main computer so whats with the login requirement on the (https://docs.lightwave3d.com/) address from the tablet?
    Thanks for any help!
    Report that as a bug too, please RedTed. It shouldn't ask for a password just because you're on a different platform.

    B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 960 (388.59, 4GB and 1024 CUDA cores)
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (306.97 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •