Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Love the new docs.lightwave3d.com! Great Job BeeVee & Co!

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    So, it's pretty much immediate (within human limitations) and ongoing? That is, corrections and additions aren't stored up for group release?

(Sorry(ish) if I'm banging on about this, just want to know. See, I never understood why the PDFs apparently weren't updated weekly/as necessary, TMK.)
    The PDF for 2015 had three updates, but also no-one reported bugs with that (or very few that were remedied for each update).

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 960 (388.59, 4GB and 1024 CUDA cores)
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (306.97 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

I'd like to request a *downloadable* version of the documentation. Several of my in-house systems don't have any Internet access at all, by design. For example, my main LW rendering system is blocked from the Internet, which means I don't have to run an antivirus or firewall, improving performance on that system substantially.

As well, I occasionally try to do a bit of LW work and research in motels when I'm on the road where the Internet access is 1) wireless, 2) insecure, and 3) saturated by the other patrons downloading HD movies off NetFlix or Hulu.

For me, it doesn't have to be PDF, but maybe a ZIP'd version of the entire online documentation? Please?

Thanks!
    mTp

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    The PDF for 2015 had three updates, but also no-one reported bugs with that (or very few that were remedied for each update).
    B
    I must have given up by then.

An "update" for the version updates is not really an update, IMO, if that's what you mean. I'm talking Errors & Omissions, and just flat out clearer (and/or "expanded") explanations where needed.

++
    re: Monro's point: this seems to be a common request. I understand that the new doc s/w could do this BUT doing it in a simple-minded way would bog down the server something fierce.

I suggest that it be done (compiled/dl'd --whatever the s/w supports) on a schedule and archived for those who need it. That way they have some recourse for their offline systems and it doesn't choke the server. And if it's on a schedule, BeeVee doesn't have to do it every time he makes some trivial alteration. After these first couple weeks, I don't imagine it will change much. (Unless YouTube links, et al, are added, which would be fantastic.)
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 01-13-2018 at 04:27 PM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Found an error. Triple is now called Convert Polygons To Triangles. Took me a couple of minutes to realise this.
    https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display...u-link-content
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Boland View Post
    Found an error. Triple is now called Convert Polygons To Triangles. Took me a couple of minutes to realise this.
    https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display...u-link-content
    Have you reported it?
    fauxWaver \foʊ-wāv-er\, n. one who likes LightWave, but shuns car-anologies.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Boland View Post
    Found an error. Triple is now called Convert Polygons To Triangles.
    Yeeshh. --That's concise. :eyeroll:

Does it have a shorter name for the button?

Not sure where you're getting that from Paul. It's still Triple for me, and is also thus in the wiki?

By the way, with the patch also comes faster wiki and better mobile support.

B
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 960 (388.59, 4GB and 1024 CUDA cores)
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (306.97 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit, 8GB RAM

BeeVee, the document bug reporting link is inactive for me at this moment, but at https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display...ed+with+Layout we still have "The cow is standing right over the Origin." I believe it should read "Alien Emissary" instead of "cow".

(Doesn't bother me at all but someone might want to correct during the next round up).

JUst noticed the docs are now fully readable and sear hable from my iPad. Thanks for fixing this !

And should be much faster, maybe 3 to 4 times faster. @TheLexx, thanks for that, I fixed it, but please use the bug reporter. Do you have LightWave 2018 installed? If not, that would be why the wiki bug reporter isn't working.

B

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Not sure where you're getting that from Paul. It's still Triple for me, and is also thus in the wiki?
    B
    I think I know: in the MENU EDITOR (and likely in the hotkey editor), if you search for TRIPLE, you get a couple plugins with "Triple" in the name, but not "Convert Polygons to Triangles". If however you type "Convert" in the search box, you'll see "Convert Polygons to Triangles", and clicking on that reveals the Menu entry is listed, on the button, as "Triple".

We've come to expect that function to be called "Triple", but at some level, it is not. And buttons can be NAMED anything, calling functions totally different from the function's name. Several buttons have labels totally diff. from their function. Which is good, but confusing.

As to whether it's in the 2018 Dox, I can't verify.

Ah yes, you are right. However, that's not a new thing. It has been that way a looong time

B

BeeVee, it might be worthwhile to have an appendix that enumerates (in order of appearance) all the Default / Studio Production menu layout's buttons' label text and what actual commands are associated with each button. Having that as part of the indexed and thus searchable text in the docs would be even more useful.

Just a thought. Confusions about what button means what command arise every couple months or so on the forums, and if it's happening that often with public postings, then it's happening a lot more often overall. Seems like helping with that would be useful.

It would also offer two, slightly more "subtle" benefits:

• Folks using stock Default/StudioProd menus could easily confirm whether a common button has "disappeared" or if they're just misremembering where it is. In this case, it'd also help with checking for missing plugin since the cmd would be right there (if they can't find matching cmd it means plugin needs re-add).

• Having this would provide additional incentive to keep both enumerations "up to date", and in turn would encourage keeping both layouts in sync and updated as well.
    Last edited by jwiede; Yesterday at 05:20 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.2),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

it would be cool to have a section on plugins too. perhaps users could fill that out.

By the way, with the patch also comes faster wiki and better mobile support.

B
    I just went into Modeller to get you a screenshot and now it is called Triple. LOL!! Perhaps it changed in the 2018.0.1 update? Never mind.
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345