Thread: Clock Cam and Bug in 1 DSK

Clock Cam and Bug in 1 DSK

For most of our broadcasts, we can pull live data from the venue scoreboard. However, we now have one location without compatible scoreboards, so I want to use a camera to crop in a clock. The challenge of this is that I need the bug from Livetext and the cropped clock cam to appear in one DSK, not 2 (as we only have 2 DSKs with the mini and need DSK2 free for other things).

My thought was to use an M/E to put Livetext in the B layer, and the clock in the A layer. Then, I would output the M/E to NDI via MIX3 and just take it straight back into the Tricaster on Input 6 and assign it to a DSK. However, the transparency isn't maintained when I do this (it makes the background layer black)

Is there a way to keep the transparency, or is there a better way to do this? We're running a Tricaster Mini HD4 with Advanced Edition.
    Gabe Thomas

Gear Used:
    Tricaster Mini (AE)
    JVC GY-HM600 & JVC GY‑HM620U
    Livetext with LTscoreboards2 (Datalink from Daktronics AllSportCG)

Hi Gabe,

What if you use the M/E in MIX mode (like a secondary switcher) and then you have 2 Keyers in that M/E with which to add the LiveText and clock insert. Then select that M/E on PROG and you still have 2 more DSKs that can then be added. Just do the live switching in M/E rather than Main. Do you have a Control Panel? That can be delegated to switch the M/E rather than MAIN. No need then to route NDI back and forth.

EDIT: If you needs 3 keyers total...and don't want to do switching in the M/E...group the A and B layers in M/E to match PROG and PREV, then you will be switching M/E using MAIN controls (mirrored actions). Add clock and LT using 2 keyers in the M/E. Now assign that M/E to DSK1 (full screen source from M/E with 2 Keyers overlayed) and then you still have DSK2 to add that other layer you need. The only caveat is that when using TAKE and AUTO from MAIN to control M/E, only TAKE works. But easy enough to create an M/E AUTO macro if you want.

Thanks
    Last edited by JPulera; 12-28-2017 at 03:22 PM.
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    Hi Gabe,

What if you use the M/E in MIX mode (like a secondary switcher) and then you have 2 Keyers in that M/E with which to add the LiveText and clock insert. Then select that M/E on PROG and you still have 2 more DSKs that can then be added. Just do the live switching in M/E rather than Main. Do you have a Control Panel? That can be delegated to switch the M/E rather than MAIN. No need then to route NDI back and forth.

EDIT: If you needs 3 keyers total...and don't want to do switching in the M/E...group the A and B layers in M/E to match PROG and PREV, then you will be switching M/E using MAIN controls (mirrored actions). Add clock and LT using 2 keyers in the M/E. Now assign that M/E to DSK1 (full screen source from M/E with 2 Keyers overlayed) and then you still have DSK2 to add that other layer you need. The only caveat is that when using TAKE and AUTO from MAIN to control M/E, only TAKE works. But easy enough to create an M/E AUTO macro if you want.

Thanks
    Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the suggestion. We don't have a control panel, sadly, as switching in the M/E would be nice. Appreciate the suggestion about mirrored actions! I'll have to look into that more...

Thanks for your help!
    Gabe Thomas

Gear Used:
    Tricaster Mini (AE)

Hi Gabe.

You can edit your CS XML to create keyboard shortcuts for everything. We used that to do M/E switching with a standard QWERTY keyboard a while ago. It's not that difficult to set up.

Imry

Quote Originally Posted by imryh View Post
    Hi Gabe.

You can edit your CS XML to create keyboard shortcuts for everything. We used that to do M/E switching with a standard QWERTY keyboard a while ago. It's not that difficult to set up.

Imry
    Thanks for this info, Imry. Could you point me in the right direction as to where the manual discusses this?

Thanks!

Gabe
    Gabe Thomas

Gear Used:
    Tricaster Mini (AE)

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Hello Gabe, funny thing that I have been working on something custom for a client that have similar issue of transparency not passing from the ME. For now the quickest work around has been to add a color background that is not used in the LiveText or the other layers. Then right click on a multi viewer box and change it to the ME. Now Livematte the color background. The keyed transparency is respected in the DSK
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Quote Originally Posted by joseburgos View Post
    Hello Gabe, funny thing that I have been working on something custom for a client that have similar issue of transparency not passing from the ME. For now the quickest work around has been to add a color background that is not used in the LiveText or the other layers. Then right click on a multi viewer box and change it to the ME. Now Livematte the color background. The keyed transparency is respected in the DSK
    Jose- That was going to be what I tried next, so I'm glad to hear it worked well for you. Thanks much for the tip!
    Gabe Thomas

Gear Used:
    Tricaster Mini (AE)

Hi Gabe.

Well, it depends on what Tricaster OS version you're running. If it's the newest version, then there's an app within the Tricaster interface to update all the key mappings. If it's anything besides the newest version, go to C:\Tricaster\Configuration.
    Look for the file product_surface_mappings.xml. You can search for the "Surface Name" area that you want, and update the <source> configuration. Should be pretty self explanitory, but let me know if you need more info.

Good luck!

Imry

Quote Originally Posted by imryh View Post
    Hi Gabe.

Well, it depends on what Tricaster OS version you're running. If it's the newest version, then there's an app within the Tricaster interface to update all the key mappings. If it's anything besides the newest version, go to C:\Tricaster\Configuration.
    Look for the file product_surface_mappings.xml. You can search for the "Surface Name" area that you want, and update the <source> configuration. Should be pretty self explanitory, but let me know if you need more info.

Good luck!

Imry
    Thanks much. Appreciate the help!
    Gabe Thomas

Gear Used:
    Tricaster Mini (AE)