Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556

Thread: LightWave 2018 Announcement - Discussion Thread

Hi,

we MUST have a physical Sky and physical Camera. The archviz is the biggest market and we don't have these basic "stuff" to work on it, at the moment.
    Please just try to copy Corona Render or I mean to try to have that engine as a target.

We are an architect's firm in London with more than 65 people and I'm the head of Visualization. And Yes, in my team we use ONLY Lightwave...weird isn't it? We don't use the standard package (3dsMax/Vray/Corona).
    But we need to try to stay almost at the same level with them, and this it means at least Physical Sky and Physical Camera.
    It is not acceptable to me in 2018 to put again Area Lights/Portals for interiors when in Corona (in seconds) you need just Corona Sun and Corona Sky and the room is incredibly almost in a perfect light (natural light).

So please, try to fix this improvements for the next release (or create a plugins) and considering this kind of things because LW2018 deserve it...and also us as archviz users.

Thank you!

id add an edge shader, dponts ao shader and shadermiester global materials to that.

Holy S#!+ - I just bought LW 2018 and rendered out a looping screensaver animation (for a kiosk) and the render time was WAY less then half of what it was yesterday when I rendered the same scene in LW 2015 (1:24 in LW 2018 versus 3:22 in LW 2015.3) The only thing that threw me so far in LW 2018 was the normalize setting (It had to be shut off as I'm using a pretty big grid size and it didn't like the area lights being so huge with my settings.) I didn't even have radiosity turned on in LW 2015 where now it's on by default making the shadows a whole LOT better.

Damn this is cool. I totally have a chub.

Quote Originally Posted by beegm View Post
    Holy S#!+ - I just bought LW 2018 and rendered out a looping screensaver animation (for a kiosk) and the render time was WAY less then half of what it was yesterday when I rendered the same scene in LW 2015 (1:24 in LW 2018 versus 3:22 in LW 2015.3) The only thing that threw me so far in LW 2018 was the normalize setting (It had to be shut off as I'm using a pretty big grid size and it didn't like the area lights being so huge with my settings.) I didn't even have radiosity turned on in LW 2015 where now it's on by default making the shadows a whole LOT better.

Damn this is cool. I totally have a chub.
    I'm very happy with this release. The fact that rendering has improved so much in quality and looks so modern (and with ease) gives me that "WOW" factor I've been wanting. You would think that just one major module to be re-vamped wouldn't make a difference but it really does.

I really do want LW team to give us the same effect with other areas, particularly modernizing character animation.

Quote Originally Posted by pbaroque20 View Post
    I'm very happy with this release. The fact that rendering has improved so much in quality and looks so modern (and with ease) gives me that "WOW" factor I've been wanting. You would think that just one major module to be re-vamped wouldn't make a difference but it really does.

I really do want LW team to give us the same effect with other areas, particularly modernizing character animation.
    Character animation! Yes, please give us some impressive tools May be the main focus for 2018.5 in June
    Ruud Zeelenberg

WizzArt Animations

Quote Originally Posted by Niko3D View Post
    Hi,

we MUST have a physical Sky and physical Camera. The archviz is the biggest market and we don't have these basic "stuff" to work on it, at the moment.
    Please just try to copy Corona Render or I mean to try to have that engine as a target.

We are an architect's firm in London with more than 65 people and I'm the head of Visualization. And Yes, in my team we use ONLY Lightwave...weird isn't it? We don't use the standard package (3dsMax/Vray/Corona).
    But we need to try to stay almost at the same level with them, and this it means at least Physical Sky and Physical Camera.
    It is not acceptable to me in 2018 to put again Area Lights/Portals for interiors when in Corona (in seconds) you need just Corona Sun and Corona Sky and the room is incredibly almost in a perfect light (natural light).

So please, try to fix this improvements for the next release (or create a plugins) and considering this kind of things because LW2018 deserve it...and also us as archviz users.

Thank you!
    It is interesting. What about Kray and Octane? What is your opinion?
    Is there many LW users in London? I mean when you looking for new guys how it looks?
    You saying archviz is the biggest market. I watched last interview with Blender creator. He said Autodesk income from software like 3dsmax, Maya is about 10%. About 90% is from CAD things. He said something like income from Maya is about 1% and 3dsmax is much more important. I was quite shocked. So yes LW should have better intercharge with CAD programs.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusM View Post
    It is interesting. What about Kray and Octane? What is your opinion?
    Is there many LW users in London? I mean when you looking for new guys how it looks?
    You saying archviz is the biggest market. I watched last interview with Blender creator. He said Autodesk income from software like 3dsmax, Maya is about 10%. About 90% is from CAD things. He said something like income from Maya is about 1% and 3dsmax is much more important. I was quite shocked. So yes LW should have better intercharge with CAD programs.
    Hi,

For me the point is easy...I love both, but...
    KRay is GREAT, but the development is sooooo slow because there's only ONE guy that develop it, and still have some problems. Also the costumers support it doesn't exist, if we have questions or bugs how long I have to wait maybe just for an answer by email?
    Octane is INCREDIBLE, but is GPU...so, or your all workflow/setup has been built in GPU or nothing. We have our internal render farm in CPU, all machines built with powerful CPU ect...you know, it's not just me alone.

In London there are some LW users, but for VFX...in archviz, probably there's only me!ahahahah!...(I laugh to keep from crying)
    Yes, archviz is the biggest market...but I was talking only for LW, but I can see is the same even for 3dsMax. Also there are a lot of works not directly related in specific with archviz, but where archviz stuff (or the same tools, engine speed/quality ect ect) is fundamental and it is the base.

The market is huge! But of course LW is still missing a lot of basic archviz stuff!!!
    As I said, I find ridiculous that is still missing >>> DWG import, Physical Sky/Sun, Physical Camera, you can't select as object in Modeler, in Layout if you create one single instance and later you change the name of the original file the instance keeps the old name, you can't work with references (very useful in archviz, almost essential) and you can only replace the object, but if the new object has differents coordinates you lost the correct position, or if the new object has less layers Layout keep the old layers from the old object.

This is a short lists of "problems" that LW has, for me and in our workflow.
    But to be honest they are easy to change or improve it (it is not re-built one render engine) and they would make it LW more clear, intuitive and more "professional".
    I think nowadays (2018) there are a lot of render engine, each with pro/cons...and I think it is not very hard to try follow the tracks of standard engine as VRay or Corona for example. Or to see basic stuff in others software as Maya or 3dsMax how they work...
    What I'm saying is...ok great, you did LW2018...is very good, nice ect ect...you did INCREDIBLE volumetric lights...but for archviz??? To be honest...when I will use some volumetric lights in our projects?...1 time every 10...and they missed BASIC archviz stuff and I repeat BASIC...(until now)...

Quote Originally Posted by Niko3D View Post
    Hi,

For me the point is easy...I love both, but...
    KRay is GREAT, but the development is sooooo slow because there's only ONE guy that develop it, and still have some problems. Also the costumers support it doesn't exist, if we have questions or bugs how long I have to wait maybe just for an answer by email?
    Octane is INCREDIBLE, but is GPU...so, or your all workflow/setup has been built in GPU or nothing. We have our internal render farm in CPU, all machines built with powerful CPU ect...you know, it's not just me alone.

In London there are some LW users, but for VFX...in archviz, probably there's only me!ahahahah!...(I laugh to keep from crying)
    Yes, archviz is the biggest market...but I was talking only for LW, but I can see is the same even for 3dsMax. Also there are a lot of works not directly related in specific with archviz, but where archviz stuff (or the same tools, engine speed/quality ect ect) is fundamental and it is the base.

The market is huge! But of course LW is still missing a lot of basic archviz stuff!!!
    As I said, I find ridiculous that is still missing >>> DWG import, Physical Sky/Sun, Physical Camera, you can't select as object in Modeler, in Layout if you create one single instance and later you change the name of the original file the instance keeps the old name, you can't work with references (very useful in archviz, almost essential) and you can only replace the object, but if the new object has differents coordinates you lost the correct position, or if the new object has less layers Layout keep the old layers from the old object.

This is a short lists of "problems" that LW has, for me and in our workflow.
    But to be honest they are easy to change or improve it (it is not re-built one render engine) and they would make it LW more clear, intuitive and more "professional".
    I think nowadays (2018) there are a lot of render engine, each with pro/cons...and I think it is not very hard to try follow the tracks of standard engine as VRay or Corona for example. Or to see basic stuff in others software as Maya or 3dsMax how they work...
    What I'm saying is...ok great, you did LW2018...is very good, nice ect ect...you did INCREDIBLE volumetric lights...but for archviz??? To be honest...when I will use some volumetric lights in our projects?...1 time every 10...and they missed BASIC archviz stuff and I repeat BASIC...(until now)...
    I see your concern. There is many fields in 3d where LW could be better. I do most modeling and game art and you know how Modeler development looks ;] You have right about missing basic most important things...
    Aa a fun fact Kray is compatibile with PRO100. Simple example (in polish) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3jb-trsk48.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusM View Post
    I see your concern. There is many fields in 3d where LW could be better. I do most modeling and game art and you know how Modeler development looks ;] You have right about missing basic most important things...
    Aa a fun fact Kray is compatibile with PRO100. Simple example (in polish) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3jb-trsk48.
    Yes...it is still missing basic tools. But of course I talk only about archviz field...
    Also we don't model a lot because we received the files already modelled, but I know very well Modeler how it is...in any case we need to adjust it, to fix some stuff ect ect...

I saw the link...nice!

Rendering is 2x slower and noisier in 2018 vs. 11.6 scene files. Lots of changes with regards to menu and settings between the two, (which seems more organized BTW), I have some tweaking to do. I'd like to see a revamped modeler before consider an upgrade in what I think will be another learning curve, (but much less of one vs. going to another application). I'm glad that LW has hung on all these years and maintained it's basic core. I've not bothered with all the chest beating and fanfare, (people come and go, that's life). I've opted to quietly get work done. I do most of my modeling in Solid Edge and Rhino anyway, but wouldn't mind to see improvements in Modeler handing more formats and be more CAD like and work with Nurbs, (yes I did contribute to the survey).

I'm also a Linux User. I have managed to forestall the upgrade at work and will stick with Win 7 until it croaks. However, we're down to the wire. Mobile is going to be making some serious headway in becoming a dominant tool, (the things I can do with inexpensive mobile apps and free on Linux is very telling of a paradigm shift). I may very well be looking at my last PC style Workstation Upgrade going into 2020 -and it will be a Linux box, no doubt, (and things will be interesting again). Thus, I'm playing with other applications now, giving myself a year or two before switching.

Time will tell.

Giving it some thought, I've decided not to pursue additional updates. The render (for my use/method) is much slower than v 11.6.3. The new surface/node mapping scheme is added steps vs the old method. The new implementations means another learning curve, such that I'm considering other options. Something more with accurate, CAD like or Nurbs Modelling would be a worthwhile venture, as I could drop a few tools. Shortening my pipeline.

I will mostly likely stick with v11 to support old projects.

Well done, Newtek and the Lightwave 3D team on a kick *ss 2018 release! Really upping the game on Lightwave's already legendary renderer. Keep up the excellent work!

Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556