Page 10 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: LightWave 2018 Announcement - Discussion Thread

Cool

OLD ASSETS FROM 2015 prior in to 2018....

As some one who has been converting 2015 and prior assets for a while, I wanted to set your minds at ease. Once you've learned the new PBR Surface Editor, and that won't take long, getting your assets converted and looking snazzy takes very little time. Of course, it can take a little longer depending on the complexity of a mesh and its surfacing.

Using the built-in convert option does most of the work. Then going in to each surface and uniquely adjusting each channel to "fit better" in a PBR workflow is where most of the time is spent. You should always have a nice common ground to tweak your surfaces. Have a base scene with lighting and an HDR that is well suited. Something PBR/multi-app friendly. Even if you don't have access to PBR paint programs, you can do WONDERS with the Color Tool node and your existing image maps. So even if you don't have "PBR" maps, making them look good in the PBR system is possible. Sure they are not 100% PBR, but you can come close. This way you can get all your old assets in to the new system quickly.
    Last edited by Mr_Q; 12-12-2017 at 06:57 PM.
    Kevin "Q" Quattro
    Inhance Digital
    3D Art Director

Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    If there is an explicit statement to the contrary that is important to you, I'd locate it and discuss it with sales.[/INDENT]
    There has been a sale going on for two years and many of them claimed to be the final chance, few days left.

Additionally to that we were promised to be able to upgrade for the reduced price if current. The prices announced were higher to motivate users to be current otherwise the upgrade is $795.

LW2015 has lot of issues and there seems to be no more updates but the product is still on sale. We were also promised to get the most modern architecture of 3D applications in LWNext.

Now the price is back to $995 and the upgrade price is only valid until March (no matter if you're current).

There was a long silence and LWs future seemed very uncertain (and still is to me), still we don't know why NewTek can not be transparent, there seems to be no legal restriction.

Alot of time has passed and decision have seemingly been revised. NewTek can of course be rebellion as much as they want, they're a private company. I don't see how it's good for them. Just talking from my perspective, I prefer other ways.

Enough said, I'm looking forward for more LWNext news and renders now.
    Last edited by Marander; 12-12-2017 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    I did a redux of the Oscar Anchondo loft...
    http://forums.newtek.com/attachment....0&d=1513103036
    i noticed these Aliased pixels in LightWave 2011, where they could be solved partly by using "Limited Dynamic Range"
    https://i.imgur.com/pdhzqMr.jpg

note sure if LW2018 has something similar. no biggie, however something to be aware of.
    Last edited by erikals; 12-12-2017 at 07:44 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by oliverhotz View Post
    Regarding Substance Support..

I've got the substance support taken care of... I'll post a little vid maybe later, probably tomorrow... its nice..
    A very big, sincere thankyou for doing that Oliver.

Instead of using GI, one can use the Environment Light; it will use whatever you put as a background image, gradient, Image World or Textured Environment, and use it as a light source. A bit like what BG Radiosity did back in the days, but, obviously, much faster and much cleaner. So, the only thing that is lighting the examples below is a single Environment light with an HDRI used in Textured Environment.

Rendertime on my machine (see my signature for specs) is around 3-4 minutes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EnvironmentLight_using_HDRI_as_Source_Example1.jpg 
Views:	541 
Size:	349.0 KB 
ID:	138821

Name:	EnvironmentLight_using_HDRI_as_Source_Example2.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	404.8 KB 
ID:	138822

Name:	EnvironmentLight_using_HDRI_as_Source_Example3.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	352.0 KB 
ID:	138823
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    Ok, there was this...

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....=1#post1460935

And later in the same thread this...

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....=1#post1461143

But even without any of that, you can still do a lot with LW as is, I do all the time, just using additional bones for shaping, as you can see here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-E0HhLyAJY

Ofc, such techniques can be added to and expanded with morphs, but the problems you're having CAN be solved now, and have had solutions in LW for many years.
    Will your videos be updated for LW 2018 or are they good to go as is just now? Was considering buying

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Wasn't made as big a deal of as it should, but OpenGL got an update ...

Left PBROpenGL Mode / right VPR

Attachment 138804
    Is that OGL update able to go into modeler too ? If not what is stopping it from happening?

On other thing, what would stop modeller from having VPR in a "frprime" style viewport ? Just for surfacing and modelling feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    That’s much better than the current pdf solution! They really appear to have addressed a lot of nagging issues along with the big foundational changes that were promised.
    looks like its using confluence

No, they are the same currently
    Saddened to hear this but thanks for the prompt reply.
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

I don't mean to be too negative, as I can clearly see that the rendering side of LightWave has greatly improved. But the features that I wanted fixed that I have already paid for in 2015.3 still aren't fixed eg. the modelling tools when using Catmull Clark). I now use Octane for all of my rendering so I am struggling to find a reason to upgrade. I personally think that more people would have appreciated upgraded modelling tools and general UI improvements over the new rendering engine. I could be wrong though obviously. Its a such a shame to me as I wanted to keep up with the LightWave upgrades, but this version would be of very little use to me I think. What is it going to cost me if I upgrade the next time around?

Sim generated in Houdini, rendered in LightWave 2018 using a simple gradient on the emission channel:

That looks great

Quote Originally Posted by gamedesign1 View Post
    I don't mean to be too negative, as I can clearly see that the rendering side of LightWave has greatly improved. But the features that I wanted fixed that I have already paid for in 2015.3 still aren't fixed eg. the modelling tools when using Catmull Clark). I now use Octane for all of my rendering so I am struggling to find a reason to upgrade. I personally think that more people would have appreciated upgraded modelling tools and general UI improvements over the new rendering engine. I could be wrong though obviously. Its a such a shame to me as I wanted to keep up with the LightWave upgrades, but this version would be of very little use to me I think. What is it going to cost me if I upgrade the next time around?
    maybe you shouldn't since this upgrade is not for everyone.
    they had to change the Mesh Engine first, thereby ME and forced Rendering Engine rewrite got the attention.
    word is that Modeler attention is next, however, this was 2-3 years ago.

you could skip it, at $300 i'd say you should Absolutely upgrade anyway, if you use it to make money.

personally, if Layout got the PowerUp button we hoped for, i wish they stop upgrading Modeler, and instead integrate Modeler tools in Layout.
    Last edited by erikals; 12-12-2017 at 09:38 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Can't wait.
    "Once one can articulate an important idea into a concise statement, then one can use the statement and not have to have the fear of changing behavior." - Ed Catmull on Pixar creativity

regarding substance support... i just released another video that'll show you what my implementation is.

https://vimeo.com/album/4335852/video/247086500

Quote Originally Posted by 3D Kiwi View Post
    Is merging modeler and Layout still going to happen in the future?
    With Rob gone I think its out of the picture. Matt and Lino afair like the split app from previous posts that I read. This is what makes lightwave "special"

Page 10 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast