Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: LightWave 2018 Announcement - Discussion Thread

Heffalump
    Quote Originally Posted by Anttij77 View Post
    Things you could not do in 2015 and before:

Volumetric Area lights, Spherical lights, Photometric lights, etc.
    The API now allows any 3rd party to create new lights with full volumetric support.

Attachment 138807Attachment 138808Attachment 138809
    Is that true volumetrics in the sense that you can create caustic events from lenses, and volumetrics that are affected by mirrors?
    Inactive.

While it's great to see that we are finally getting 'Next' I do have a few things that I've noticed in the press release vs previous marketing which could raise issues in the future.

Approximately 12 months ago Lightwave 3D Group released a Cross Grade offer and with it did a big post about 'New Pricing Structure' as part of that certain promises where made including that you would be able to upgrade at any time from the last 'Previous' version to the 'newest' for 295$ and from any version prior then that for the normal 795$

LightWave Special Upgrade Price from a Current Version - $295 (USD)
    LightWave Regular Upgrade Price from a Non-Current Version - $795 (USD)
    LightWave Full License Price - $1195

When the previous head of LW3DG was asked about it and if it was now the 'normal' pricing this was the answer:

Quote Originally Posted by robpowers3d View Post
    Hi Ernest,
    The plan is that this will be ongoing upgrade price for those of you that stay current starting with the next major release of LightWave and trust me, that is a release that you don't want to miss out on, when I say it will begin a new era for LightWave innovation I am serious about that. More details will be coming in the next few weeks. The decision to take advantage of our current offer is really up to each individual but I personally think that rewarding those that support our development so much through staying current is a great way to say thank you.
    There are more responses to this etc but the general gist was those on 2015 would be able to update to (what is now) 2018 at any time for 295$US, however reading the current press release that offer is now 'You can do it until March'.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm lucky baring a house burning down or something i'm likely to have the money to buy at 12:01 UTC (Come on Marketing GMT shouldn't be being used for time co-ordination it only exists for 1/2 a year). But there are a lot of people who won't and may not until mid year tax time etc, especailly given the release is RIGHT on the time of year where most non Corporate customers are going to be strapped for cash if they have families.

It would be nice to get some clarification if the statements made by the Marketing team previously will be held to?

Will people be able to upgrade from 2015 - 2018 at ANY TIME for 295USD?

Because a lot of US indies kinda relied on that promise.

P.S Please say you finally gave us Smoothing groups.. Please? we've only been asking for them for 17 years
    Last edited by RobertGraham; 12-12-2017 at 05:06 PM.

Long time listener, first time caller, (been using LW for 20 years and posted here about 2 times). Are there going to be any tutorials on the new stuff coming out on the 1st? I'll have a week before work starts again. would like to be up and running before that hits.

Quote Originally Posted by 3D Kiwi View Post
    Is merging modeler and Layout still going to happen in the future?
    Interesting question. That is something that I would like to know too.

Will the merging happen?
    Ground control to Major Tom

Finally, great news !

Any news from 3rd party for plugin ? It is unchanged or there is support for C++ or C/C++ ? Please make wiki developer for more info where they share technic, knowledge, etc, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 3D Kiwi View Post
    Is merging modeler and Layout still going to happen in the future?
    Quote Originally Posted by MAUROCOR View Post
    Interesting question. That is something that I would like to know too.

Will the merging happen?
    hopefully in 2020
    it was a long-term plan according to Rob. now, who knows. we need a roadmap.
    Last edited by erikals; 12-12-2017 at 05:30 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Noise Reduction Filter:
    worth the upgrade alone?  
    very curious about this one...
    does it work like the DPont one...
    Last edited by erikals; 12-12-2017 at 05:37 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Just read through again and again all the new feature updates.

What's not to like eh? Tons of new stuff and features. It looks like a solid release with the additions, hopefully as stated, the beta testing has been long and arduous, if it is very robust then great stuff.

UDIMS used to be unofficially supported, just to let you all know you can use it on the 2015 version right now, but it requires a workaround.

I've brought in multi-tiled uv'd objects years ago. You had to create a different or copy of your surface layer and wire in your separate diffuse textures, but it worked. It didn't matter if you had 15 tiles out of the 0-1 UV space, it still worked.
    I'm happy though it is now officially supported.

Now that Viktor has released 5.5 a week or so back, I've gone from feeling very deflated to feeling great with this Next news!!

Just one other thing to sway others on the fence. There is a new VR Camera. You can use your mesh/visible lights to create your own HDRI Maps. Just remember or think of this, I paid nearly £200 for HDRLS 4 MODO plugin to do this same very thing, it is a very cool new feature and not to be scoffed at or the very thing itself, a VR Camera.
    I'm always 100% right!!!

Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertGraham View Post
    While it's great to see that we are finally getting 'Next' I do have a few things that I've noticed in the press release vs previous marketing which could raise issues in the future.

Approximately 12 months ago Lightwave 3D Group released a Cross Grade offer and with it did a big post about 'New Pricing Structure' as part of that certain promises where made including that you would be able to upgrade at any time from the last 'Previous' version to the 'newest' for 295$ and from any version prior then that for the normal 795$

LightWave Special Upgrade Price from a Current Version - $295 (USD)
    LightWave Regular Upgrade Price from a Non-Current Version - $795 (USD)
    LightWave Full License Price - $1195

When the previous head of LW3DG was asked about it and if it was now the 'normal' pricing this was the answer:

There are more responses to this etc but the general gist was those on 2015 would be able to update to (what is now) 2018 at any time for 295$US, however reading the current press release that offer is now 'You can do it until March'.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm lucky baring a house burning down or something i'm likely to have the money to buy at 12:01 UTC (Come on Marketing GMT shouldn't be being used for time co-ordination it only exists for 1/2 a year). But there are a lot of people who won't and may not until mid year tax time etc, especailly given the release is RIGHT on the time of year where most non Corporate customers are going to be strapped for cash if they have families.

It would be nice to get some clarification if the statements made by the Marketing team previously will be held to?

Will people be able to upgrade from 2015 - 2018 at ANY TIME for 295USD?

Because a lot of US indies kinda relied on that promise.

P.S Please say you finally gave us Smoothing groups.. Please? we've only been asking for them for 17 years
    That's exactly where my problem is with NewTek, they don't stick to their word. You can bet that that there will be an extension, then an easter sale, last chance, summer sale etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Keep reading, you're eventually going to come on my related comment on this.
    You mean in this thread?

just wanted to congratulate the Dev team....
    despite the critiquing by myself and others, you guys executed an obviously large project that is a big step forward for LW

For whoever is responsible for keeping us in the dark...great job as well. Probably only lost a small handful of users..at most.
    Brilliant contrarian marketing exercise to wean out the herd so only true believers remain.

Another render ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hulk.png 
Views:	325 
Size:	3.16 MB 
ID:	138817
    LightWave UX Designer
    LightWave 3D Group
    A Division of NewTek Inc.

"Beautiful things are easier to use" - Don Norman

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Wasn't made as big a deal of as it should, but OpenGL got an update ...

Left PBROpenGL Mode / right VPR

Attachment 138804
    impressive...definitely an undersold feature

A bit of SSS

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Groot.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	382.4 KB 
ID:	138818
    LightWave UX Designer
    LightWave 3D Group
    A Division of NewTek Inc.

"Beautiful things are easier to use" - Don Norman

there is no sanctuary....
    Looks like plenty there to justify the $295, I’m in. Congrats on finally breaking through lol.
    Bill Carey

I7 6700K 4.0 ghz
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    Nvidia GTX 980 4 gb 375.70
    LW 2015.3 x64
    Space Navigator

Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast