Thread: How to make water ripple effect in Lightwave

How to make water ripple effect in Lightwave

Can someone give an idea how to create a ripple effects like this video in Lightwave, I don't want to use Blender to achieve this effect if it can be done in Lightwave so what do you think how could I solve this problem, I can't make Softbody dynamics to work well with particles...

The problem I am facing is I can't make the Particles to collide with a Soft Body to form Ripples I am trying to do just that.
    Last edited by quakebox; 12-07-2017 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by quakebox View Post
    Can someone give an idea how to create a ripple effects like this video in Lightwave, I don't want to use Blender to achieve this effect if it can be done in Lightwave so what do you think how could I solve this problem, I can't make Softbody dynamics to work well with particles...

The problem I am facing is I can't make the Particles to collide with a Soft Body to form Ripples I am trying to do just that.
    It should be enough with displacements if you only have rain and ripples.

1.download dpont rman textures, it has a procedural texture called rain drops, that will however not use particles for triggering the ripples, though if you do not need exact drop hits, you can fake it together with particles.

2.For actual particle hits, you could instead use Particle paint ..which also is a procedural texture from Dpont, and it will record particle position to perform a displacement, but the displacement is purely procedural texture driven and not dynamic.

3. for actual dynamics, donīt use softbody, neither bullet or old legacy softbody dynamics, use clothfx instead, but it may be tricky to set cloth to be watery and also respond to particles with accuracy.

I would suggest go for number 2 though..thereīs always tricks to use nodes, and the standard ripple or other textures, but that is more advanced.

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/pl...RainDrops.html
    http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/pl...iclePaint.html

Download here..
    http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/Textures.htm

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    It should be enough with displacements if you only have rain and ripples.

1.download dpont rman textures, it has a procedural texture called rain drops, that will however not use particles for triggering the ripples, though if you do not need exact drop hits, you can fake it together with particles.

2.For actual particle hits, you could instead use Particle paint ..which also is a procedural texture from Dpont, and it will record particle position to perform a displacement, but the displacement is purely procedural texture driven and not dynamic.

3. for actual dynamics, donīt use softbody, neither bullet or old legacy softbody dynamics, use clothfx instead, but it may be tricky to set cloth to be watery and also respond to particles with accuracy.

I would suggest go for number 2 though..thereīs always tricks to use nodes, and the standard ripple or other textures, but that is more advanced.

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/pl...RainDrops.html
    http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/pl...iclePaint.html

Download here..
    Fantastic help prometheus this will really help I will try to use the Dpont textures the Dpont particle displacement seems the ideal solution.

10 stars my friend for your nice help

Quote Originally Posted by quakebox View Post
    Fantastic help prometheus this will really help I will try to use the Dpont textures the Dpont particle displacement seems the ideal solution.

10 stars my friend for your nice help
    Great!

I am dog tired now, only got 4 hours of sleep and then working all day..so off to bed now and work a bit in the morning but then itīs friday, I did check out how it performs with particle paint, and I may be able to set up a scene tomorrow
    with basics to get the ripple effect going if you can not discover it, it may be a bit tricky to set it right with itīs setting initially.

Michael

The easiest and most straight forward way to do this is with clothfx, takes max 1 min to setup.
    In layout:
    1. Make groundplane with 100 segments in both x & z
    2. Subpatch it and set the subdivision to last
    3. Apply clothfx to the plane with low viscosity ( value 0.1-5), high spring (value 100-100000) and set hold to 100. Enable collision all.
    4. Create an emitter and make it the same size as the plane. Change so it emitts 15 particles a sec instead of 100 and add gravity.
    5. Move the emitter upwards so its over the plane.
    6. Hit calculate and you should see the cloth react to the particles like water.
    7. Tweak settings, done!

Long-time waver
    Excellent! My settings make it look like an invisible cat padding across a duvet! (viscosity 0.1, spring 10000)

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    The easiest and most straight forward way to do this is with clothfx, takes max 1 min to setup.
    In layout:
    1. Make groundplane with 100 segments in both x & z
    2. Subpatch it and set the subdivision to last
    3. Apply clothfx to the plane with low viscosity ( value 0.1-5), high spring (value 100-100000) and set hold to 100. Enable collision all.
    4. Create an emitter and make it the same size as the plane. Change so it emitts 15 particles a sec instead of 100 and add gravity.
    5. Move the emitter upwards so its over the plane.
    6. Hit calculate and you should see the cloth react to the particles like water.
    7. Tweak settings, done!
    Maybe easier..but maybe not most effective and the best to get the ripple effect, particle paint and using bump or normal may be more effecient and doesnīt require subdivs with a lot of polys, neither does it require any calculation (well it sort of calculates) but not in the way you do for clothfx.
    Raindrops rarely hit so deep in to water surface that it is motivated with displacements, unless you have other dynamics going on in the water ..or need really heavy drops.

As for cloth fx, I do not think the settings you suggested just would work like that Ztreem, I think itīs a little more than that to get good ripples from clothfx, things like balancing the size of the waterplane against the etc/resolution, and setting a good weight for the after wake/ripples as well.

I would also consider using subpatch first..even though it takes a lot longer to calculate, set to last may be difficult to get the smaller double ripples in there, though set to first you really need to be careful with raising subpatch levels ..keep it low and use a higher divided plane instead, thatīs what I would do...if going for dynamics.

Experimenting with the ClothFX, it's difficult (at least for me) to get the perfect little circles, while with Particle Paint it's quite easy. Sample scene attached, using a multi-layer Displacement Texture, one stretched moving Turbulence to create a little "lop" on the surface, and two Particle Paint layers to give a couple of Wide-Rings type effect per particle strike. You could add more Particle Paint layers to get a little "center drop", etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RainDropRipples_DP_RMan_ParticlePaint_rgb_101.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	216.0 KB 
ID:	138749

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RainDropRipples_DP_Rman_ParticlePaint_Setup.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	138750

RainDropRipples_DP_RMan_ParticlePaint_Small.mov

If I was going to re-render the sample scene, I'd make the "Dissolve" Duration and Stretch parameters longer on both of the Particle Paint rings (on the Effects tab), which appears to be given in Frames. The attached video was slowed down in compositing, and it's still too fast for my taste.

mTp

P.S. BTW, the DP Rman Textures pack including Particle Paint is available here:

Remember to support Denis financially if you can!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MonroePoteet; 12-08-2017 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Add DP Rman reference

Quote Originally Posted by MonroePoteet View Post
    Experimenting with the ClothFX, it's difficult (at least for me) to get the perfect little circles, while with Particle Paint it's quite easy.
    Yes..thatīs why I also suggested that instead of clothFX, and I promised to make a particle paint setup and post, but I think I do not have to now since you posted a scene..I will have a look at it.
    I could post a cloth fx scene instead later.

Its a huge difference in having letīs say a water plane at 100 divisions(1000 polys), turned to subpatch order first at subpatch level 1 ..yielding 20000 polys and some ripples, or use a subpatch level at 2 for 80000 polys.
    I do not think subpatch order set to last really yields ripples that small in a good way.
    So the level at 2 and order set to first will do it, but it takes a while for it to start calculating, and a quite a bit longer to calculate with subpatch level at 2.

Have you considered the IFW2 Water shader with the Rain function type?

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Have you considered the IFW2 Water shader with the Rain function type?
    Not me..the thread starter, who knows? IFW2 for other stuff sure...but just for rain ripples? can that water shader connect to particle input? and what would it do better than particle paint or the free rain drop procedural from dpont?