Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photorealism and expanding the dynamic range in LW???

default means nothing as in nothing has been applied per the old pre LW11 workspace, only when you choose a preset from the drop down menu such as sRGB do you have a true profile, sRGB looks flatter tonally but gives better detail in the blacks I usually drop the bounces to one if it is an open air scene to gain a little contrast, but the whole point is that you should follow the workflow all the way through and output in Radiance format or any of the HDR settings that can be opened by your image editor and balance the image there rather than trying to do it all in the render
    Last edited by gerry_g; 12-08-2017 at 09:26 AM.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerelium View Post
    Why do I want / need to mess with the colour spacing.
    The real answer is pretty long and involved, but the cut and thrust is this...

The renderer does all its calculations of lighting, shading, etc in linear space (basically, all values of things are just added up in a nice plain linear fashion). As such, when the renderer samples a surface colour/texture/whatever, it expects that the colour value assigned is also in a linear representation, if its not, then the renderer is "given the wrong number" to work with. The result, visually, is that the contrast in your final image is actually wrong (its one of tha major factors when a render looks good but somehow "CG-y").

In LW10+, you dont really have to do much at all, just go to the CS tab in the options, choose the sRGB preset, and forget about it.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    GI Tutorial On cmiVFX
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Quote Originally Posted by Amerelium View Post
    This might be a silly question, but:

Why do I want / need to mess with the colour spacing.

I texture surfaces, light them and let radiosity do the rest - with the help of secondary lighting if needed.

Got any good examples for me?
    in sRGB space (gamma 2.2) middle grey is 50% white....this gamma is very similar to our vision.
    However when translated to linear (absolute measurable) it equals about 20%.

If the math is done wrong...i.e. non linear space...or sRGB, then you get 20%+20%=100%
    Where in linear it would correctly equal 40%

All the renders happen in linear space....CS just will allow the render to apply the right conversion to the image, and at the same time will provide proper monitor gamma so it looks right to your eyes.

check out

www.linearworkflow.com
    edit...link is pretty old. Lots of dead links

heres a good image showing a common issue in regards to light falloff
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GUID-DB0C2C61-53CE-47D9-B7F6-362C6AAC2050.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	138755

with non linear, you will be fighting with lights to achieve realism
    Last edited by m.d.; 12-08-2017 at 01:19 PM.

Another good example of M.D's explanation is that in Gamma2.2 sRGB space the blended calculated values between two colours add up to too dark values:

So in short, you want to avoid doing any lighting in a display referred colour space.
    Win10 64 - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    Another good example of M.D's explanation is that in Gamma2.2 sRGB space the blended calculated values between two colours add up to too dark values:

So in short, you want to avoid doing any lighting in a display referred colour space.
    Good one...I had seen some of these examples mostly from photoshop, as you can easily break the workflow there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12