Thread: 4K HDMI Connection to NC1

4K HDMI Connection to NC1

What is recommended for connecting the Panasonic 4K AW-UE70 to the NC1 I/O? It has 4K output through the HDMI connector only. Does the SPARK HDMI support 4K out or only 3G?

The Spark units support a maximum of 1080p50 or 1080p60 resolution. If you want 4K/UHD there are the following options.

1. Connect NC1 IO box ( https://www.newtek.com/connect/nc1-io/ ). This unit takes in 4K/UHD via Quad-Link SDI. So you would also need a HDMI to Quad-Link adapter. Each Connect NC1 IO unit supports up to 2 channels of UHD input or output. Here is an example of one of these kind of converters. https://www.aja.com/products/mini-converters/ha5-4k

2. Connect Pro and supported video input card. You can get the NewTek Connect Pro software and combine it with a supported HDMI input card (like from BlackMagic, Magewell, Bluefish, Matrox, Viewcast, AJA, Deltacast) to create your own solution. Of course going with a solution like this you need to make sure the system in question has the processing power and bandwidth to work with UHD video.
    Last edited by kanep; 12-04-2017 at 02:58 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks Kane. Now I know what was meant by "Quad-Linked SDI".

It's good to know that someone makes a convertor to use while we wait for Panasonic to release their NDI firmware update for this camera; if that firmware update is still in the works.

The NDI-HX is still planned, but I don't know when it will be released. Last I heard was before the end of the year, but that is really close now.

FYI, the NDI-HX firmware for the Panasonic UE70 is going to support up to 1080p60 maximum video resolution. If you want to to 4K/UHD form this camera you will need to use the HDMI output and one of the methods I mentioned above.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks again. Very good to know that the NDI-HX will only be 3G. Helps us plan ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    Thanks again. Very good to know that the NDI-HX will only be 3G. Helps us plan ahead.
    Just to mention it, while I'm not aware of any current NDI|HX solutions for 4K, I wouldn't bet against them appearing in time.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Yes, it would be unwise to say that 4K NDI straight from cameras won't available in the next year or so.

However, now I understand how far ahead the TC1 was and still is. As Kane pointed out, presently there are only two ways to get 4K video into NDI. The NC1 I/O at about $5,000 USD / input, (plus camera), and build your own computer with a HDMI input card combined with NewTek Connect Pro software. This might be lower in cost per 4K input but not only if labor and research are free.

I'm also now seeing the significance of an announcement that I don't recalls the details. It was something about a 4 input HDMI card now supporting NDI, if I remember correctly.

It would be even better to see the next NewTek I/O box, (NC2 I/O?), to have HDMI 2.x I/O.

All I can say at this moment is, stay tuned. There are many exciting developments in the NDI pipe, both here and elsewhere.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Staying tuned, with great anticipation!