Thread: Quad Sculpting

Quad Sculpting

Hi All,

Please tell me if I am wrong but I am right in thinking there still isn't a sculpting tool in any app that allows you to dynamically sculpt like in Blender but with creating quads as it goes instead of tris?
    It would be such a nice tool. I appreciate that that would harder to calculate, but I am just surprised I still haven't seen anything that does it. I know there are remeshing tools that can create quad meshes by using an auto retopology, but it would be nice have something on the fly. And then as you sculpt you can also have polyflow brushes (just like in autoretopo tools) that can then control the flow of polys. I'm sure its probably because of how much processing power would be needed to calculate multilevels of quad poly densities. Anyway it would nice to know that I am wrong and there is something out there

You can use the multires modifier on a quad mesh and sculpt with only quads. If you want to use dyntopo for sculpting then you are forced to tris and thats because I think it is impossible to do addaptive tesselation of quads. Imagine you have one big quad and the make one similar beside it that you subdivide once. Now try to weld these together without making anything other than quads? It doesn’t really work.

Quote Originally Posted by gamedesign1 View Post
    Hi All,

Please tell me if I am wrong but I am right in thinking there still isn't a sculpting tool in any app that allows you to dynamically sculpt like in Blender but with creating quads as it goes instead of tris?
    It would be such a nice tool. I appreciate that that would harder to calculate, but I am just surprised I still haven't seen anything that does it. I know there are remeshing tools that can create quad meshes by using an auto retopology, but it would be nice have something on the fly. And then as you sculpt you can also have polyflow brushes (just like in autoretopo tools) that can then control the flow of polys. I'm sure its probably because of how much processing power would be needed to calculate multilevels of quad poly densities. Anyway it would nice to know that I am wrong and there is something out there
    I suppose by dynamicly sculpting your refer to dynatopo and similar, as far as I have seen..no, standard sculpting allows for deformation sculpting ala Quads, but as soon as you turn on dynatopo ..it goes triangles, I believe that is the case with zbrush as well, 3dcoat or mudbox..do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    You can use the multires modifier on a quad mesh and sculpt with only quads. If you want to use dyntopo for sculpting then you are forced to tris and thats because I think it is impossible to do addaptive tesselation of quads. Imagine you have one big quad and the make one similar beside it that you subdivide once. Now try to weld these together without making anything other than quads? It doesn’t really work.
    Yep..but a multires modifier isnīt an option since it isnīt treally relevant, dynatopo is tris regardless wether you are applying a multires modifier or not. (blender)