Thread: Audio Follow. TC Audio Mixer doesnt make mix transitions between audio sources

Audio Follow. TC Audio Mixer doesnt make mix transitions between audio sources

Hi
    Does anyone knows why when you make a mix transition, with audio follow, between 2 internal sources with Audio (ie: DDR 1 & 2) you definitely have a Mix on the video but the Internal audio mixer will provide a Cut audio transition. Meaning when you start your transition between DDR1 to DDR2, the audio from DDR2 will come cut at 100% from the very beginning of the transition and the DDR1 audio will be cut out at the very end of the transition.

What is the trick to make an internal audio real mix in a Audio follow mode?

Quote Originally Posted by Miseopoint View Post
    Hi
    Does anyone knows why when you make a mix transition, with audio follow, between 2 internal sources with Audio (ie: DDR 1 & 2) you definitely have a Mix on the video but the Internal audio mixer will provide a Cut audio transition. Meaning when you start your transition between DDR1 to DDR2, the audio from DDR2 will come cut at 100% from the very beginning of the transition and the DDR1 audio will be cut out at the very end of the transition.

What is the trick to make an internal audio real mix in a Audio follow mode?
    If there's a way to make this happen, I'd really appreciate knowing the secret as well!

Quote Originally Posted by dhodlick View Post
    If there's a way to make this happen, I'd really appreciate knowing the secret as well!
    So, I'm not the same to point this but strangely no one seems to need that function. At this point, the Audio Mixer should be so called Audio Router...

This is a topic that has arisen here from time to time over the years, and which has also generated some number of feature requests by other means. The facts are that a) this is actually much more complicated than most people imagine, and b) when you get into the fine details, one suggestion is often completely incompatible with the next.

Actually, some suggestions have been taken into account in the current implementation. About all I can say here is that we are always listening to feature requests, and we often accommodate them when we find a good way to do so that won't annoy another group of users.

So, I'm not the same to point this but strangely no one seems to need that function. At this point, the Audio Mixer should be so called Audio Router...
    I can't agree, sorry. I can think of a very large number of audio mixers that do not enforce some sort of automatic crossfade based on external stimuli, much less allow you to configure it flexibly to satisfy different requirements. No-one suggests these be renamed.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    This is a topic that has arisen here from time to time over the years, and which has also generated some number of feature requests by other means. The facts are that a) this is actually much more complicated than most people imagine, and b) when you get into the fine details, one suggestion is often completely incompatible with the next.

Actually, some suggestions have been taken into account in the current implementation. About all I can say here is that we are always listening to feature requests, and we often accommodate them when we find a good way to do so that won't annoy another group of users.

I can't agree, sorry. I can think of a very large number of audio mixers that do not enforce some sort of automatic crossfade based on external stimuli, much less allow you to configure it flexibly to satisfy different requirements. No-one suggests these be renamed.
    Hi Steve,
    Thanks for the update regarding potential improvements to come on that needed function.
    The technical side is not the difficulty, especially today with the DSPs. Audio Follow was implemented, back to analogue age in, for instance, Ampex Vista Mixer almost 30 years ago and Imagine Communication (Ex Harris) has been providing a Clean and Switch Router, since 2010 where fade transitions are possible for both Audio and Video. And I'm not talking about the Channel in a Box system which also handle this.
    But the management of this mixing function has to be properly designed. In some cases you may want a cut audio transition while executing a dissolve or wipe on the video or a Cut+Fade up, Fade out + cut, fade up + fade out. As a suggestion, this could be, for the internal sources (video or audio clips), defined as a clip properties, pretty much as the audio level can be defined on a clip basis. For live source, this could be define on each audio mixer input.

But I believed you guys have been thinking about it.
    My only other question will be. Do you have a roadmap for this implementation?

Thanks

The technical side is not the difficulty ...
    Correct. The problem is coming up with something reasonably simple that covers most common needs. A fade is a simple matter - in fact if memory serves, we do a very brief crossfade now.

My only other question will be. Do you have a roadmap for this implementation?
    As policcy, we do not discuss future plans, unless we are announcing something that is about to be released. That said, I will say that this very matter was re-evaluated not too long ago and no changes were made at that time. So just at the moment, we're in 'listen' mode (as opposed to development).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I feel like at some point it did try to fade, but was defeated by the autoplay feature. I can't remember which version(s) that might have been. But I remember a thing that it did fade, but on the fade out it ended up getting clipped anyway because the Autoplay was immediately cueing the next clip. That ended up making the fade not work anyway if autoplay was engaged.

Kris
    TriCaster: 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    CG: LiveText2 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5 (SDI & ATEM with Tactical Fiber)
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

I am not sure what folks are doing to where this functionality is NOT needed. I mean, the TC is billed as an all in one box so taking the requirement of an operator-driven audio crossfade off the operator's plate seems to be a no brainer. As it is now, its just something we've learned to deal with on shows where I don't have an external audio op