Thread: TC1 First Impression and Question

TC1 First Impression and Question

I had the opportunity to run a TC1 to switch the ISM Vision Screen (jumbotron) at Martinsville Speedway for a late model stock car race. We had a 4 camera setup and used basic functions like graphic overlays and media playback, but the kicker was we had to record 3 inputs for instant replay function. I was probably pushing the machine to the max, and as a result the TC1 glitched several times throughout the night when trying to create the replay file. It would either freeze for several seconds and generate no media in the DDR, or it would generate a file with a seemingly random duration. If I had to guess I'd say the replay function worked 75% of the time for me.

Also want to note, I had an issue with DDR playback controls not being visible in the DDR tab, so I waited on hold on the Newtek customer service line for 1 hour 45 minutes (during regular business hours) before being picked up and hung up on. I called back and was on hold for 45 minutes before hanging up myself. Two ISC contractors and an MRN producer witnessed the attempt. Turns out the Windows scaling setting was wrong. This was my first attempt to contact Newtek customer service but the company I was working for said he owns 5+ older Tricaster's and he has similar issues with Newtek customer support.

With all that said I'll be back at the Speedway soon to switch another event. Company wants to use TC1 picture in picture function.

QUESTION: How do you do box in box with TC1? I briefly tried last time I was in front of TC1 but I failed. Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers!

Sorry to hear you had issues with the TC1 - I've switched several live multi-camera events with TC1 and never a hiccup. First thing is to (manually) check and make sure the software is up to date. Old software could very well have bugs that need patching! The TC1 computer components inside are next-generation and running Windows 10, so really hot-rodded compared to say a 410, 460, or a Mini...so I don't think you were anywhere near pushing the machine to the max! Bet you weren't using complicated M/E compositions, and encoding streams to two difference websites, or running 4k, or running a bunch of NDI sources in and out...you get the picture. Probably a software update needed.

In TriCaster UI, press ALT-B and see what version number it reports at top of screen, bet it is months old. Latest TC1 software is 6-0-171029, very recent - https://www.newtek.com/downloads/

Not sure what you are referring to about "Windows scaling".

To do Picture in Picture/Double Box effects, best way is to use an M/E, of which you have 4. Press "M" on keyboard which opens up another "switcher" - above that on left you have 4 tabs for the 4 M/Es. Check out these tutorial videos for tips - https://www.newtek.com/support/certi...s/tcae-videos/

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: PTZ Optics 20x SDI

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    Sorry to hear you had issues with the TC1 - I've switched several live multi-camera events with TC1 and never a hiccup. First thing is to (manually) check and make sure the software is up to date. Old software could very well have bugs that need patching! The TC1 computer components inside are next-generation and running Windows 10, so really hot-rodded compared to say a 410, 460, or a Mini...so I don't think you were anywhere near pushing the machine to the max! Bet you weren't using complicated M/E compositions, and encoding streams to two difference websites, or running 4k, or running a bunch of NDI sources in and out...you get the picture. Probably a software update needed.

In TriCaster UI, press ALT-B and see what version number it reports at top of screen, bet it is months old. Latest TC1 software is 6-0-171029, very recent - https://www.newtek.com/downloads/

To do Picture in Picture/Double Box effects, best way is to use an M/E, of which you have 4. Press "M" on keyboard which opens up another "switcher" - above that on left you have 4 tabs for the 4 M/Es. Check out these tutorial videos for tips - https://www.newtek.com/support/certi...s/tcae-videos/

Thanks
    With some monitors Windows 10 wants to display text and icons at 150% size. This plays heck with the TriCaster UI. I have this issue with several Samsung TVs. You can fix it in the display control panel.
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Gear Used: TC1, TC 8000, TC 460, TC Mini 4i, 3Play Mini, 3Play 4800, TS 100, TS 4000

Thanks
    Thank you so much for the response! There is a good chance the machine needs updating. I'll have the machine at home tomorrow and I'll make sure it's up to date! I'll also take a look at the tutorial video you linked. Thanks again for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by jcupp View Post
    With some monitors Windows 10 wants to display text and icons at 150% size. This plays heck with the TriCaster UI. I have this issue with several Samsung TVs. You can fix it in the display control panel.
    Thanks for clearing this up! I appreciate the response.

Check out these tutorial videos for tips - https://www.newtek.com/support/certi...s/tcae-videos/
    This is the exact link I needed. Thank you so much, very helpful.

Waiting on updates at the moment then I'll dig in on double box. Thanks again.