Thread: NDI Spark for Backboard Cam?

NDI Spark for Backboard Cam?

Just wanted to see if anyone has had any luck or issues using an NDI spark for sports? I'm thinking about picking up a Marshall cam and an NDI Spark (SDI) to feed a backboard cam into our Tricaster systems.

We are currently testing this with GoPros. We are getting some glitches right now in an empty arena connecting to a stand alone router. So we're not sure if its a distance problem or the other wifi networks interfering. So the luck part is we are actually getting the camera feed the issue part is its not a clean signal.

2005 NewTek Demo Guru
    Our experience so far has gone like this: Testing the Spark before the event (at our home base) always seems to work fine over the Spark's WiFi. However, that is not the case so far at any venue we have visited up to this point (4 different locations), I'm guessing there is too much or too many other WiFi signals "on location" at the different arenas we have visited. In theory we know it works, but haven't really experienced that on site. So on two occasions we used a wired connection and ran a long ethernet cable to the Spark. On the other two, we used a Ubiquiti point to point system between the Spark and our control area, and that seemed to work ok. I'd say it all depends on what RF is hanging around inside your particular venue. Good luck.
    Jonathan Crowe
    ETV Engineer
    www.etvhuntsville.com

Quote Originally Posted by JonCrowe View Post
    On the other two, we used a Ubiquiti point to point system between the Spark and our control area, and that seemed to work ok.
    I just bought one of these and sent a signal back from a high end zone camera about 500ft from the football press box. I was surprised how well it worked. There was a slight bit of latency but not enough for me not to continue to use it.

I now have a working system, if everything is at the latest update, and you turn everything on in the right sequence, and nothing changes during, it works.

So has anyone figured out how to use the Spark with a 3Play? You can put the video in DSK A and B but not use it for replay?

So all this frustration to find out I still have to run fiber to the backboard cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by PSUCAPS View Post
    So has anyone figured out how to use the Spark with a 3Play? You can put the video in DSK A and B but not use it for replay?
    Eventually, you'll probably be able to use NDI|HX input in either place, but right now you can't use it at all on 3Play, sorry.

(New versions of TriCaster were prepared to support the HX driver, but 3Play is a different scenario, and a new version that is friendly to HX hasn't been released yet.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Thankfully they installed network jacks right under the hoops that can be patched over to our production network so I shouldn't have to use Wifi. Now I have to decide if I want SDI or HDMI...

Quote Originally Posted by JonCrowe View Post
    Our experience so far has gone like this: Testing the Spark before the event (at our home base) always seems to work fine over the Spark's WiFi. However, that is not the case so far at any venue we have visited up to this point (4 different locations), I'm guessing there is too much or too many other WiFi signals "on location" at the different arenas we have visited. In theory we know it works, but haven't really experienced that on site. So on two occasions we used a wired connection and ran a long ethernet cable to the Spark. On the other two, we used a Ubiquiti point to point system between the Spark and our control area, and that seemed to work ok. I'd say it all depends on what RF is hanging around inside your particular venue. Good luck.
    If you are suffering problems with limited WIFI once the crowds arrive (with their iPhones) - this is rather like the experience exhibitors have at trade shows - it alls works until they open the doors.

Anyway - our experience with these sorts of challenge led to one answer - Directional Antennae.

They are really low cost and VERY effective in improving point to point links on Wifi. Different ones for 2.5 and 5.8 but start with the TPLink antennas which have worked great for me.

TPLink ANT2409