Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Thread: ???news about lightwave 3d next???

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Im using his words Richard. He said he wouldnt talk about features before they were ready. He was showing these things 2 years ago and asking people to buy 2015 based on on those features.
    And what do you mean hes not here to defend himself? Whose fault is that?
    Yeah I was there. What is your point? That because of the silence and no release yet that that is proof these things don't exist? And that he was lying? That isn't proof. Strong probability. Very strong probability. But not proof.

And everything else has to come from proof including why he is not around. It is all just speculation.

And who's fault is that?

everyones fault but lwg. they are awesome

I feel it is definitely fair to fault LW3DG for not releasing bug fixes for 2015. They are definitely getting bug reports and not doing much about them, most likely they made the decision after 2015.3 to shift development completely to NEXT. This was clearly premature.

I personally don’t feel however that we were tricked and promised a version was imminent in March of 2016. “Closer to release” was what was stated in the blog. That could easily mean months and months between feature complete and release, heck a year or so of continued boring development (optimization, confirming all features and first party plugins still work, etc) then internal and external testing strikes me as perfectly reasonable for an application with as many moving parts as lightwave, particularly if they swapped out the engine like they claim to have done.

I believe that everything shown in the blog was fully implemented in the next version when it was shown, and as far as I am concerned that is as “ready” as anything can be when it comes to sneak peeks of upcoming software. My guess is that they underestimated the time it would take to get the new version stable and production ready which probably accounts for the time up until about spring of this year, judging from the continued fb posts and periodic teases from Lino up until that point. Then “something” changed and they clammed up entirely. At which point I believe one of two things happened:
    1. They failed to get it done within a cost that Newtek considered acceptable, and Newtek is looking at its options.
    2. They got it done an Newtek is left trying to figure out how to best sell a piece of software with an anemic user base that is getting sqeezed between the top by maya max and C4d At the top and Blender at the bottom.

and selling the whole thing to someone else is one of the options on the table which means forced silence.

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    Did you even read the dates on your first 3 links? 2016
    You need to brush up on your English I think. But it is not your fault. Really. English speakers take a lot more liberties than English as a second language people do.

Very often we use words in a very loose sense. Meanwhile does not always mean an event occurring at the same time. That is the literal translation. But sometimes we mean, as an aside, or in a very loose way as a segue or transition to another subject - right now. Not that the event is happening now, but the discussion takes another turn now, as other discussions continue, now. Meanwhile, lets talk about Japan. And I loosened it even more and said, meanwhile in Japan.
    Last edited by Surrealist.; Today at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    You need to brush up on your English I think. But it is not your fault. Really. English speakers take a lot more liberties than English as a second language people do.

Very often we use words in a very loose sense. Meanwhile does not always mean an event occurring at the same time. That is the literal translation. But sometimes we mean, as an aside, or in a very loose way as a segue or transition to another subject - right now. Not that the event is happening now, but the discussion takes another turn now, as other discussions continue, now. Meanwhile, lets talk about Japan. And I loosened it even more and said, meanwhile in Japan.
    I thought Chinese was the new English
    I too get really sloppy sometimes, the grammar of course being the hard part, the rest I blame bad buttons on the keyboard, or written and respelled wrongly when I use a cellular phone I usually get away with that, and I am also getting too old having issues seeing the small
    letters sometimes, so I have some backup excuses..good and bad

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
    Keep in mind though that Eevee is a realtime renderer, like UE4 is. It does come with drawbacks, and speed hacks.
    Nice...though I wan´t a demo or the real thing working soon, I have tried the preview version, it wasn´t really workable for a longer degree of time, but yeah..I can see it becoming a much much more important player than it ever has been before.

Houdini Currently Open Luc_Feri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post

I glanced quickly over your work (including the character work from last year), and I'd say you can still learn a lot about materials/texturing, lighting, modeling realistically, detail oriented-ness, and colour design. In particular your sense of colour and lighting needs much more work. (Might be you are slightly colour blind? Don't know - I had a couple of students in the past who turned out to be exactly that, and their colour choices were quite odd because of that.)

The work I see done on TV is generally of a higher quality than that. However, you taught yourself a lot in a short amount of time in the first couple of years, but stagnated a bit in my opinion when I saw your 2016 work.

You might have better work done in the past year that I haven't seen yet.
    Thanks for your comments, constructive criticism is always welcomed, many on here never bothered to even give me that so, nice a start!!!. You see many old timers could indeed help newer users if they actually bothered to do this.

I disagree about modelling realistically. That Spitfire I did was my second project ever, and that is not fairly realistic, no? That could easily be animated in a shot with updated materials and lighting. Many of the work from last year or so I clearly state are WIP's, things like missing eyebrows and the skin shader is not anything other than a basic material as I hadn't got round to that. Maybe if you just glanced at the images and not read the articles then I would understand this impression that you got. The focus was on getting hair and that with some workflows. I did a nice butterfly that was pretty realistic and textured well and was well received and that wasn't a final shot either.

The TV advert stuff I mentioned, surely my reptillian beast and the english bull terrier is just as good as many of the character stuff I have seen on UK TV adverts, some of them suck a** for detail IMO, only the high end SKY/Virgin adverts surpass it greatly. It's far from higher end, I totally agree, but it is much better than quite a lot of stuff I have seen. You telling me the detail on that beast, look at the MEGADETH image for the actual diffuse texture I painted, that other green version I should have updated as the SSS in MODO blew out all my painting detail, look again at the capsule beast, it is the same guy!!! You telling me that some of the PIXAR/SONY DREAMWORKS blobby bits of characters for kids is better than that, no way. Not a chance, that english bull terrier, look at the face, look at the addidas trainers I modelled and circa 1980's NIKE cagoule detail, that is poor modelling detail, and is not as good as some PIXAR stuff? BS.

Your right about one thing for sure, 100% correct on that.

I have to confess, I am RED/GREEN colour blind.

As you said is true much of it is 3/4 years old now and when I was learning in the early stages and lots of the more recent from last year just WIP's and not anywhere near final quality, I actually say this on the threads, time stamped and true.

Thanks for your comments though, appreciated.

IMO 7/10. I do have a lot to learn, we all do. I learnt a lot working freelance in 2015 but that was using 3dsMax and Vray. My bottlenecks have been hair/fur and animation and scene population working on my own. That and having PBR textures but no render engine that supported it in MODO/LW.

This is not being defensive but honest. Look at some of the disney pixar and sony dreamworks stuff, a blob, with textures so basic, one base colour and a bit of fluff of hair on top. That reigns supreme over just two of my old character bits from 3/4 years ago. NO WAY JOSE, BS KING!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Luc_Feri; Today at 07:47 AM.
    LW2015 Suite, Octane Render, LWCAD 5, Modo 10, Mari 2.5v2, ZBrush 4R8, 3D Coat V4.8, Sub. Designer 5, Sub. Painter 2 & Marmoset Toolbag 3.0

I read through Surrealists long post.

A beautifully balanced appraisal of how the last few years have panned out.
    LW2015 Suite, Octane Render, LWCAD 5, Modo 10, Mari 2.5v2, ZBrush 4R8, 3D Coat V4.8, Sub. Designer 5, Sub. Painter 2 & Marmoset Toolbag 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I'm not really sure who you are addressing but, in any case, I do have a comment.

It is, of course, always appreciated when people are able to express themselves with civility *whatever their view. This can hardly be surprising in any context. It's commendable, a skill which a few don't seem to be able to master.

Let's stick to facts, shall we? JPerk wrote numerous critical posts that could reasonably be characterized the way you have done, and was freely allowed to do so without argument by anyone at NewTek. Other members may have supported or disagreed with him, as is their due.

It was only when he strayed over the line and began asserting as fact allegations he was repeating based entirely on hearsay that called the actions of others into question that he was called on that one item specifically. Anyone here can criticize policy or actions, and many do. Start defaming someone's character and we're going to have a problem.

Congratulations. Not that IQ tests mean much or bear on the validity of one's views, but based on what I've seen here over the years I imagine that is an adequate level for membership in this community ... probably (I'd guess that many here meet or exceed that level, and there are some who blow it sky high).
    Steve you are a fair guy, you have let me vent plenty on here and that, thanks for that. You did know who I was addressing though didn't you, I or you aren't silly, just a mild little dig, not meant to be harsh, a fun little mention just now, no offence.

Jperk did go a little west shall we say. I thought, not you, but others tried to get a bit antsy with him, lets be honest. His original frustrations have no doubt turned to a little bit of anger/frustration at things.

As for the IQ bit, LOL, 130+, puts me on an equal level with the community. LOL, not unless half of Mensa reside on here it doesn't, c'mon!!

I hope you have seen my comments to be harsh but fair, no denying that. I'm glad we can share our feelings, that is the hope that can only come from all of this. I hope you have seen my comments where I praise LW, the features I like and the usability of LW. I don't say LW is rubbish or sucks because I like the software and it is a fun tool. Only constructive criticism to the way things have been handled by the other side of Newtek that disappoints me more than anything, no hatred, just frustration and disappointment.

And one last thing. Maybe people think I am an arrogant tosser, fair enough. I'll say one thing despite what people may think, I'm a troll or WUM or whatever.

THIS, I know people can fight their own battles but one part of this is my white knight, righteous prick attitude in trying to stick up for the little guys, hobbyists and small voices, truly, honestly.
    Last edited by Luc_Feri; Today at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    Yeah I was there. What is your point? That because of the silence and no release yet that that is proof these things don't exist? And that he was lying? That isn't proof. Strong probability. Very strong probability. But not proof.

And everything else has to come from proof including why he is not around. It is all just speculation.

And who's fault is that?
    This is my point as well. Clearly something is not right in Lightwave land, and the silence makes that crystal clear. There is a big difference, however, between underestimating development time and lying to sell seats. Don’t get me wrong. I think we are fast approaching a point at which even the most patient among us are going to call foul. I would be willing to bet that most of us have placed an arbitrary deadline of jan1 2018 for a new version or at the VERY least a CLEAR statement of intent concerning what is happening with lightwave. By clear statement of intent I mean something that addresses the actual high level decisions going on that are stopping the new version from being released, what the plan for the future is and how this will affect existing customers. I don’t mean just sending poor Lino into the lions den again with some nice renders and promises that next will be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Luc_Feri View Post
    ... just a mild little dig, not meant to be harsh, a fun little mention just now, no offence.
    Thanks, none taken. I take matters of ethics extremely seriously, and I know it makes me sound a bit pontifical at times, my apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Luc_Feri View Post
    As for the IQ bit, LOL, 130+, puts me on an equal level with the community. LOL, not unless half of Mensa reside on here it deosn't, c'mon!! .
    I wasn't entirely kidding about that. In the larger community of mankind, this would be above average ... but this isn't the usual crowd, and it would not surprise me at all if 130-ish was just average here. Even in my small local circle of friends (I haven't lived here that long) I know several individuals testing in the 160+ and 190+ ranges.

Anyway, talking about someone's IQ is much like talking about how much money they have. By this I do not just mean that it can be a bit 'tacky', or an attempt at intellectual tyranny. Rather, IQ does not speak to one's value as a person, one's honesty, or even the likelihood that their view on any given matter is correct. History is studded with brilliant failures and succesful cheaters. Meanwhile, there are everyday heroes who are completely unremarkable intellectually.

Returning to a related topic, modesty isn't just a virtue, a social nicety. It's a critical component of learning. Arrogance is dangerous, not least because it tends to imprison one's thinking within the narrow confines of personal biases and ego.

My prose can also be a bit ponderous... apologies again.

P.S., Some will find this all OT ... But we're really just passing time here, right? Pretty much everything that can be said that would be 'on topic' has been said, many, many times. For those that remain, this is either a waiting game, or a chance to vent some more. So the occasional distraction is a pretty harmless offense.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

+ plenty of people with 160+ that never lifted a finger or contributed to the world community in any way.

that said, they shouldn't be forced to.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    Blender will never be used in japan for cg stuff and anime for 3 reasons.

1. unorthodox workflow and ui
    2. poor japanese documentation and training materials
    3. 90% is AD at this point

C4d is better, its actually jumped over modo and lightwave now.
    I have always been interested in C4D but it's price is definitely something that's always put a stop to my interest in it.

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Sometimes ...

Living, as we do, in a time when every other adolescent has been told by silly parents that they are 'gifted', a great number of people imagine they are superior life forms and thus everyone should bow to their genius. Really, even when someone really does have exceptional knowledge of some field or other, whether by dint of hard work or genetic happenstance, does their 'talent' magically endow them with more 'worthiness' than other humans, or give them the right to treat others like dirt?

<snip>
    As ever, spot on
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i7-5960X OC@4.2GHz | 32Gb | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti + GeForce GTX 970 4Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132