Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: ???news about lightwave 3d next???

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Oh, is THAT all? :eyeroll:

+: it's been so many revisions since the original coders left, for both sides (except LWM ) I think we can safely feel they are different apps and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by jperk View Post
    Just basing my opinion on what I've gathered from other members here.
    In would say you had it pretty spot on. Especially the butt hurt part.

As you now know really hurts apparently and you as some new guy are an easy target for that misguided frustration.

The only thing I would disagree with is the code part. I would say design ideas rather than code. But that is splitting hairs at this point.

I my opinion the particulars don't matter. I know a guy is dead. He is lying there. Gun shot wound to the head. Police confirm. He is dead by gunshot.

I don't need to know anything else to surmise he is dead. I don't need to even know if he was murdered much less the motive to make the decision. He's dead.

And likewise we don't need to know the particulars here.

2 reasons.

In hindsight LightWave should have been redeveloped all the way starting back at the split. Why it wasn't does not matter. And the past can't be changed. But the difficulties faced over the last decade and the predictable solution to start over confirm. In hindsight.

Second. All we can say is that now LightWave is finally getting what it needs. And the prediction of effort and time needed can be calculated from 2009 forward.

Conveniently we have a yard stick for this in Modo.

Apparently more people are afraid of it being used to inflict pain rather than what it was intended to me used for.

A measuring stick.
    Last edited by Surrealist.; 11-14-2017 at 07:36 PM.

Exactly. There is a rising interest to pursue a career in the 3D industry and honestly LW isn't attracting that crowd. At my university, in my animation courses — literally none of the students know what Lightwave is.This is a big problem. Also, Newtek is charging $299 for educational versions when every other company is distributing student versions for FREE.
    Last edited by jperk; 11-14-2017 at 09:07 PM.

lol... dude. Prepare to be roasted.

I would not necessarily put it in that light. I mean there is no reason to take it so negatively. On either side. It is just what it is. LightWave needed to get redeveloped and it happened too late.

I do agree that some people have the misguided vision for LightWave that it is fine as it is, and little fundamental change is needed. Particularly with Modeler and the split app issue.

I don't have an issue with these people's artistic choices.

But if we are talking on the broad stage of state-of-the-art. Then we need to be having a discussion that is less self-centered and myopic.

The all-too-often-used excuse or retort: "You are just trying to make LightWave like every other app.", does not hold water at all. And diffuses the issue.

However, that all said, If I were you JPerk, I would choose my words carefully.

And yeah. I am old enough to be your dad. That should be considered a good thing when it comes to advice.
    Last edited by Surrealist.; 11-14-2017 at 09:05 PM.

William Vaughan even said LW has no relevance. He is strictly Modo now. Maybe that's why there are no books on LW2015.

I invested in LW2015 educational version this past summer with hopes to upgrade to commercial when Next rolled around. No tutorials or anything on LW2015. Everyone at the forums at the time were all expecting Next to release within a couple weeks or a month. This pushed me more to purchase. Also, I purchased a book covering older LWversion9 because that is what was recommended.

It doesn't even matter anymore. I'm learning Zbrush and I'll just surrender to Autodesk and cough up $30 when I need to rig and animate. Probably makes the most sense given that I paid for courses to learn Maya.

I was pissed Autodesk no longer offered a perceptual license for Maya LT — so I rebelled against the subscription costs and looked elsewhere.
    Last edited by jperk; 11-14-2017 at 09:36 PM.

So what are you looking for? Some kind of confirmation?

The only person relevance of any software matters to, is you. And that is it.

Unless you are a writer and you are going to make an article on software or write a book or be a journalist, none of this banter should be anything you are even remotely interested in as an artist.

Complete waste of energy and time.

You want to talk technical facts, and discuss the future of LightWave and where it needs to go, that is one thing. But you are barking up the wrong tree here otherwise.

Really. I will leave it at that... son..

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post

You want to talk technical facts, and discuss the future of LightWave and where it needs to go, that is one thing. But you are barking up the wrong tree here otherwise.

Really. I will leave it at that... son..
    Dad, I did not start this discussion regarding LW's future. I am only contributing to it and the many similar threads regarding this matter.

And instead of sticking up for it in hopes that I'd be securing my investment — I now see the clearer picture of this whole ordeal. It's looking kind of shady too.

I'm not going to be a chip off the old block. I'm retiring from these forums.
    Last edited by jperk; 11-14-2017 at 09:33 PM.

OK son. I use LightWave when and if I need it. Blender, Maya LT, MotionBuilder, Maya full version. Modo is on my radar. Zbrush of course. Substance and other stuff.

You. You use whatever software suits you. You feel you were burned by NewTek. Fine. I don't blame you. But if I were you, I would be very careful about inciting flame wars and using wording like wet dream and calling LightWave users a bunch of old Star Trek fans. None of these guys are responsible for your actions.

You feel burned. Take it up with NewTek.

Being choosey about software is one thing. Spreading ill will towards others who have done nothing to you is another entirely.

I'm retired.
    Last edited by jperk; 11-15-2017 at 12:58 AM.

I always thought lightwave users were old Babylon 5 fans. Star Trek is for normies.

Oh dear...

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    OK son. I use LightWave when and if I need it. Blender, Maya LT, MotionBuilder, Maya full version. Modo is on my radar. Zbrush of course. Substance and other stuff.

You. You use whatever software suits you. You feel you were burned by NewTek. Fine. I don't blame you. But if I were you, I would be very careful about inciting flame wars and using wording like wet dream and calling LightWave users a bunch of old Star Trek fans. None of these guys are responsible for your actions.

You feel burned. Take it up with NewTek.

Being choosey about software is one thing. Spreading ill will towards others who have done nothing to you is another entirely.
    he shouldn't feel burned, he stated he was told not to upgrade to a full licence a while back as sales told him "Next" was coming soon and the upgrade price would be lower, he then said he asked for a refund on the educational version after that,
    and no tutorials for 2015? https://www.lightwave3d.com/learn/?page=1 about 100 free ones here i count, liberty3d have some, Adam Gibson,
    and i think you may be miss quoting William, that was a comment from another user and it was not that Lightwave is not relevant, it was that if you want a job with a big employer in that industry its probably not relevant and you would limit yourself, if you work for yourself, everything is relevant if it gets the job done and works for you.
    Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Well get ready for disappointment because there wont be modeling tools in layout in lightwave next.
    Well that's my expectation at this point. 5 to 7 years since lw 10 came out after the disastrous LWCORE at which point I think they were working with lw 11 and updating the core architecture. I hope that wasn't BS.
    If I'm disappointed that's fine its easy to drop software for me. Dropped modo already. Easy to come back as long as the licensing is not crazy restricted.

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    i think you may be miss quoting William, that was a comment from another user ...
    No.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-11-15 (3).png 
Views:	154 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	138573
    Last edited by jperk; 11-15-2017 at 02:49 AM.

Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast