Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940

Thread: ???news about lightwave 3d next???

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    Regarding LightWave, this is why many of us are happy to see Layout potentially being able to see components for the first time really in 26 or more years. Believe me. Those of us that have been working in other apps lately see where this can go. And it is a good thing.
    The question is how this is implemented.

If Layout can just see Points, Edges and Polys additionally to the Object / Layers, that would not be the most modern architecture they promised.

It would require custom objects / any kind of other objects that can have custom properties and abilities (Text, Walls, Stairs, Doors, Trees, Rocks, Landscapes, Ropes, Pipes, Gears, Vehicles, Fluids, Hair, Characters and last but not least Primitives and Curves).

Without this, a (future) non-destructive / procedural approach seems impossible / difficult to me (and it would definitively not be a modern architecture).

Look at LWCAD or Forester for C4D for example, all objects are parametric and they can be modified at any time later. Adding a Bevel to a Text object without fiddling with the mesh? Changing the Font, Kerning or Text itself? Modifying curve tangents or subdivisions? Curve presets like Star, Heart, Gear etc. that have individual parameters? What about Booleans? Modifying Hair properties and Grooming? Dynamic LOD? Will this be possible with LWNext?

Edit: I don't ask or expect these objects (Fluids, Landscapes etc.) to be part of LWNext but does the architecture allow it? Well Text and Curves are overdue...
    Last edited by Marander; Today at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Over View Post

Could it be for the amount of steps you need to go through to be able to select them in other apps?
    Well I cant speak to other apps but just talking between Modo and LW which we've discussed before. You could say its more immediate in modeler since there is no 'item' mode in Modeler (which presets other disadvantages not having an item mode in Modeler but that's another discussion). I might have agreed earlier on that its more immediate to select components in Modeler but when I weigh how much better selection is in Modo, I would say any advantages you gain in immediacy you lose in efficiency. (things like select pattern, select between, raycast selection, auto selection which will select whatever you click on and switch component mode for you, etc...)

Houdini Currently Open Luc_Feri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sami View Post
    I was just kidding in a friendly way - because you've been getting more and more intense and no one's been getting where you're coming from - though I see much of your points for sure.
    LOL, it's all good Sami, I was actually giving you some stick back in a friendly dig hence I put a wink after my comment.

I probably sounded p**sed but it was actually a slight friendly wind up dig at Steve because he kept mentioning the IQ thing. Sometimes context of intent can get lost on a forum post. I was ribbing our St. Steve that's all but I was probably a bit direct with that.

But yeah your right I'm stirring it up a bit. I was hoping that one last rant might get LW3DG to bite and just say 'Hello, LW Next is still alive' or something.

Anyway just upgraded to Marvelous Designer 7, too much time wasted banging head on a wall with these forums. Somebody had a pop at LW3DG earlier in the thread and I had to join in one last time. I was told they won't bite and boy is that true.
    Last edited by Luc_Feri; Today at 02:26 PM.
    LW2015 Suite, Octane Render, LWCAD 5, Modo 10, Mari 2.5v2, ZBrush 4R8, 3D Coat V4.8, Sub. Designer 5, Sub. Painter 2 & Marmoset Toolbag 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Luc_Feri View Post
    I was ribbing our St. Steve that's all but I was probably a bit direct with that.
    I wonder why your phrasing makes me think of "our Daisy", "our Onslow", and "our Hyacinth"?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I wonder why your phrasing makes me think of "our Daisy", "our Onslow", and "our Hyacinth"?
    Oh priceless, I love Mrs Bucket! And Basil Fawlty!

Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940