Thread: Houdini Fluids - Shaun Lee Bishop

Houdini Fluids - Shaun Lee Bishop

Houdini Fluids in LightWave by Shaun Lee Bishop on Facebook Lightwiki >

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ligh...6681689771161/

worth a mention 
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Cheers for the heads up erikals ! Pretty impressive stuff. Houdini is a beast

  ...quite Awesome for FX.
    can also motion blur particles in LW if you use this LW64bit PC plugin.
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....=1#post1519078
    (no option for motion blurring meshes, yet)

I'll take a peek erikals, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    (no option for motion blurring meshes, yet)
    I'm no expert but I think the trail sop in Houdini handles that ... I realise you're talking LW tho

Houdini Currently Open Luc_Feri's Avatar
    How to get the foam mask and other parts of the ocean sims has already been discussed 2 years ago by me and others. In fact I've managed it ages ago and it can be done.
    LW2015 Suite, Octane Render, LWCAD 5, Modo 10, Mari 2.5v2, ZBrush 4R8, 3D Coat V4.8, Sub. Designer 5, Sub. Painter 2 & Marmoset Toolbag 3.0

sure. nice of Shaun Lee to render out an example though.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    sure. nice of Shaun Lee to render out an example though.
    Oh yeah for sure. It can be done. MPLAY is your friend for this.

Render in MPLAY your sequences, but save output in .bmp so it is grey scale and then it can be used as an alpha mask for an image sequence in LW.
    Last edited by Luc_Feri; 10-23-2017 at 05:59 AM.
    LW2015 Suite, Octane Render, LWCAD 5, Modo 10, Mari 2.5v2, ZBrush 4R8, 3D Coat V4.8, Sub. Designer 5, Sub. Painter 2 & Marmoset Toolbag 3.0

Good tip Luc, cheers.
    I wish Octane was like Redshift and just came with all the plugins rather than having to purchase individually - off topic I know , but I hazard a guess that rendering outside Houdini is why these workflows pop up.

Quote Originally Posted by adk View Post
    Good tip Luc, cheers.
    I wish Octane was like Redshift and just came with all the plugins rather than having to purchase individually - off topic I know , but I hazard a guess that rendering outside Houdini is why these workflows pop up.
    Your welcome.

I liked Redshift as I demo'd it in Houdini.

Quote Originally Posted by Luc_Feri View Post
    Your welcome.

I liked Redshift as I demo'd it in Houdini.
    I liked it so much that I actually invested, and why I hoped Octane would be similar as sometimes I'd like to test both in Houdini, and LW where possible.
    But hey, can't have everything right.

Still a relative newb at both Houdini and RS and just following along some online tutes.
    Wish I invested more time into Houdini prior as I feel like I have eons of catching up to do.

Last edited by adk; 10-25-2017 at 11:42 PM.

Wow nice one adk, that looked sweet. I made sure I upped the embed video to HD too!!

I honestly loved Redshift and wish Octane too was a lot more like it. So much easier for PBR materials, in fact one of the shaders from Redshift is used in Mari 3, I forgot which name it was.

I'm torn on Houdini, I had Indie but I was just not spending enough time in all my other packages that I got stale in MODO/LW. I have MayaLT also, just felt I was thinning myself a wee bit.

I actually have Octane plugin for Houdini but I guess I always kept coming back to the limited 1080p output and thought maybe I ought to really utilise LW more and work with MODO's particles.

Quote Originally Posted by Luc_Feri View Post
    Wow nice one adk, that looked sweet. I made sure I upped the embed video to HD too!!

I honestly loved Redshift and wish Octane too was a lot more like it. So much easier for PBR materials, in fact one of the shaders from Redshift is used in Mari 3, I forgot which name it was.

I'm torn on Houdini, I had Indie but I was just not spending enough time in all my other packages that I got stale in MODO/LW. I have MayaLT also, just felt I was thinning myself a wee bit.

I actually have Octane plugin for Houdini but I guess I always kept coming back to the limited 1080p output and thought maybe I ought to really utilise LW more and work with MODO's particles.
    Well I'll be, I never knew/realised that embed videos have a res setting best I fix my portfolio embeds. Thanks for that Luc.

Yeah it's not easy to be current and fluid in multiple packages, something always seems to drop off, for me anyway.
    I work across too many things that's for sure (not all 3D related) and constantly get that thinning feeling you mention. More brain RAM perhaps?

Houdini definitely is just plain impressive. The fact that only rendering plugins are the only addon for it, and essentially everything else is doable says a lot about what it can do.
    Granted, not in my meagre hands but still. I'm a newb in Houdini and quite aware of that fact that it will take a lot of work and dedication to become half way to competent.
    That particle video above is from an online tute that blends optical flow output from Nuke with Houdini, something which is coming in 16.5 apparently so one less step again.
    Particles aren't really my thing. I just loved the look of that technique and had to try it for myself.

That 1080p video limitation definitely is a pain, but hey they opened Indie to external renderers not long ago and I suspect that's where a lot of their growth and further industry reach came from.
    So maybe that limit might also increase? Hope so.

I have Octane for LW and Redshift for well, everything else so I can't complain, and yeah it's a very good, flexible and faaassssst renderer.
    I am a total newb in it, hobbyist really, but I would put it above Octane for me personally as it's just so flexible.
    I recall having arm wrestles in Octane trying to do what LW native does in a heartbeat, and from looking back it would be easy in RS I think.
    Horses for courses.

Hopefully LW Next get their act together and get back on the track soon as I want to play with that new render engine.
    It has been a while between drinks, but they have major work behind, ahead, and a crowd with pitchforks at the gates it seems

Houdini 16.5 Fluids can be faster now >

coming soon >
    OD alembic particle export to pfx

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....=1#post1521598

quite Awesome!
    Last edited by erikals; 10-29-2017 at 06:25 AM.