Thread: Spark will not auto connect to WiFi

2005 NewTek Demo Guru

Spark will not auto connect to WiFi

I've been trying unsuccessfully to connect my HDMI Spark to WiFi. It has the latest firmware (a reset was performed afterward), and I can setup the WiFi connection when it's connected to the LAN, and the Spark's setup page shows that's its connected to WiFi. However, by watching the client list on the wireless AP, as soon as the hard-wired connection is unplugged, it disconnects from the WiFi. The WiFi is setup to "auto connect" in the Spark, and a reboot is unsuccessful as well. The only way I can make it connect is by having it plugged into the LAN, which defeats the purpose. Hopefully I'm missing something simple, or someone else might have encountered the same issue. Any help is appreciated. Unfortunately, the manual is especially vague in the networking and WiFi setup, here are the instructions for that section: "Controls in the Network Settings section will be familiar to anyone who has connected a computer or mobile device to a network, and require little explanation."

thanks
    Jon
    Jonathan Crowe
    ETV Engineer
    www.etvhuntsville.com

2005 NewTek Demo Guru
    UPDATE: This only happens with my HDMI Spark. Both of my SDI Sparks will auto-connect to WiFi perfectly. No matter what I try, I cannot get the HDMI Spark to auto-connect to WiFi, I have to use the LAN. Could this be a bug in the firmware? It's on the current version that's posted online, 0404 dated 8-31-2017.
    Jonathan Crowe
    ETV Engineer
    www.etvhuntsville.com

I have the same issue with my HDMI Spark. It will connect to the ethernet fine and see all the wifi signals available, but will never connect to the wifi.

Same issue
    HDMI version
    firmware 404

2005 NewTek Demo Guru
    After speaking with NewTek support, this unit is headed back to NewTek and a new unit is on it's way to me. We'll see what happens when it gets here
    Jonathan Crowe
    ETV Engineer
    www.etvhuntsville.com

NewTek Engineering QA VideoEng QA's Avatar
    Hey guys,

We have been taking a look at this issue and attempting to reproduce it here without any luck. I just wanted to check and see if we were doing anything different that might explain why we are seeing different behavior.

We are using an HDMI Spark with firmware 404, so that should all be the same.
    First, the Spark is connected to the network via ethernet.
    Then one of our products is used to connect to the NDI source of the Spark.
    Next, we went to the Spark webpage from the Configure button, and signed in.
    The WiFi connection was configured and saved, after which the Ethernet cable was unplugged.

At this point the connection with the old (Ethernet) IP was still cached for a short time which could cause confusion, but in all of our tests we were able to see, and connect to the Spark on the new WiFi IP after a short time. Exiting and restarting the software which is connecting to the Spark can force a refresh if you do not want to wait, but it should not be necessary.

Are we doing anything differently to configure this here than you are when you see this problem? Thanks for your help.
    NewTek Engineering QA
    For bug reports, feature requests, or technical inquiries: https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?pg=pgPublicEdit

2005 NewTek Demo Guru
    This is what I encountered that's different from what you describe. I was able to connect my HDMI Spark to WiFi as long as the ethernet cable was plugged in. I would select the WiFi network I wanted, enter the parameters (including "auto connect") and click connect and it would connect. However, as soon as the network cable was removed it disconnected from WiFi. I was able to tell this by watching the client list on the AP it was connected to. I waited as long as 15 or 20 minutes and it never reconnected to the WiFi. I could however plug the network cable back in and manually click connect on the WiFi and it would connect. I should point out that all the WiFi settings were remembered, it just wouldn't connect on it's own..., again, as soon as the cable was unplugged it dropped from WiFi and would not reconnect.

Now, contrast that with my two SDI Sparks. Once I setup the Spark using the ethernet cable, it will connect to WiFi. Not only does it connect perfectly when the cable is unplugged, it remembers all the settings and connects on it's own after a restart without ever having the cable plugged in. Which is exactly how these should work. Once the settings are there it should remember them and connect without having to juggle with a cable to get it going.

So, the two SDI Sparks work as I would expect them to, and the HDMI Spark does not. I will report what the replacement HDMI does when it gets here.

Please let me know if this doesn't make sense, or if you need further clarification on anything. Thanks for digging into this!
    Jon
    Jonathan Crowe
    ETV Engineer
    www.etvhuntsville.com

I Have my spark working now. I did a reset, then connected it to a different wifi network and now it has worked for roughly 14 hours straight. I am going to leave it running over night and see if it is still working in the morning. If it is I am going to take it to the location I had it connected to a network designed to only have NDI devices on it and see if I have the same result.

We are also having problems with the hdmi spark connecting over wifi. It will sometimes eventually connect and then sometimes drop out unexpectedly.

UPDATE: So when I connect to my home wifi I can connect and it will auto reconnect every single time I power cycle it. Also when I connect to a LAN and then configure the WLAN to a different network it will connect to both and send out the signal perfectly on either network.

When I take the Spark (HDMI) to my production facility and connect to the LAN and configure the wifi (using Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-MESH) it will show connected in on the admin page, then when i hit refresh it is disconnected. I have tried resetting the AP's, reconfiguring the wifi settings, I even tried setting them up as an open network but nothing I do will get them to connect. I can connect with laptops, iPads, phones, you name it and it will connect. but the Spark will not connect to it.

Any help or things to try would be greatly appreciated.

I had similar problem. No function on WiFI. Connected through Ethernet I also could see the WiFi-interface with a network scan. When I removed the cable both interfaces disappeared.
    Unifi Mesh. I found "Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data" checked in my network setting (Advanced). Unchecked this and voila – the Spark is on WiFi!

Anyone using a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router having problems connecting? I can get our spark to connect to a cheap wifi router but cannot get it to connect to a R7000.

NewTek Engineering QA VideoEng QA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by curtismacd31 View Post
    UPDATE: So when I connect to my home wifi I can connect and it will auto reconnect every single time I power cycle it. Also when I connect to a LAN and then configure the WLAN to a different network it will connect to both and send out the signal perfectly on either network.

When I take the Spark (HDMI) to my production facility and connect to the LAN and configure the wifi (using Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-MESH) it will show connected in on the admin page, then when i hit refresh it is disconnected. I have tried resetting the AP's, reconfiguring the wifi settings, I even tried setting them up as an open network but nothing I do will get them to connect. I can connect with laptops, iPads, phones, you name it and it will connect. but the Spark will not connect to it.

Any help or things to try would be greatly appreciated.
    Can we get a list of what Wireless Security your router(s) are configured to use? Our test network is currently configured for WPA/WPA2, maybe we are looking in the wrong area.
    NewTek Engineering QA
    For bug reports, feature requests, or technical inquiries: https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?pg=pgPublicEdit

Excellent Data Points on the Unifi

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JoLa View Post
    I had similar problem. No function on WiFI. Connected through Ethernet I also could see the WiFi-interface with a network scan. When I removed the cable both interfaces disappeared.
    Unifi Mesh. I found "Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data" checked in my network setting (Advanced). Unchecked this and voila – the Spark is on WiFi!
    Thank You.