Thread: Bonding Internet

Bonding Internet

Hey forum I have a couple questions about bonded internet. There are some situations that pop up that someone would like me to produce an event that is just not equipped with any decent wired connection. I have also had an event where the venue was wired, but was on a super slow and dated DSL connection.

My question is whether there is a device that can take multiple types of internet connections and bond them together? I am familiar with a LiveU that can take USB Data cards but does anyone know of a device that can pull from a variety of internet connections? The LiveU is great but also every expensive and built more for constant use.

I would like a device that could combine a 2 Mobile Hotspots, or a Mobile hot spot and venue WIFI bonded together.

My cell phone (Samsung) claims to be able to bond internet for download purposes. It apparently can take the WIFI connection and bond it with the 4G cell signal and have a faster download speed. I have never really had a reason to do this on the download end but I am curious what can be done on the upload end?

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

Separate from the Tricaster work I do with a school, I work for a TV station with a similar need. They use Comrex Liveshot (http://www.comrex.com/products/liveshot-portable/). Here's a case study Comrex did with the station: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdXlzNtlGGg. It's definitely not cheap, but for mission critical stuff I hear it's pretty rock solid.

EDIT: I'm now seeing you said you were looking for something cheaper than LiveU, so maybe this isn't what you're looking for. Either way, something decent to look at if your needs ever hit that point. Teradek may have a solution for your needs.
    Last edited by GThomas; 10-11-2017 at 05:37 PM.
    Gabe Thomas

Gear Used:
    Tricaster Mini
    JVC GY-HM600
    Canon HF G20
    Livetext with LTscoreboards2
    Allen & Heath ZED14

Which model Samsung has that?

Thanks!

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

Fritz I have a Galaxy 5. I dont know if the newer models include the same feature. I am kind of hesitant to move away from the 5 since it still has an IR sensor and a couple other features Samsung went away with.

I'll see if I can look up the actual name of the feature.

Gabe-Thanks for that suggestion. I dont mind a pricey solution as long as it is not subscription based. I am willing to purchase the hardware or software if I can build the cost in to cost of the events.

I did find an interesting solution from Teradek. I own the original VidiU and use it as a backup and also keep it around in the event I need to stream something from my older SD Tricaster Studio.

They have a new VidiU call Pro that has some neat features. One of the features is Sharelink. It is subscription based though. Not really worth the money if you just need a solution every now and then but they offer an unlimited solution. If I were in this position often, I would really look at this! Their bonded internet solution can combine even (Apple) cell phone data signals together.

I think their has to be a non subscription based product out there. In a pinch I would like to be able to at minimum combine an in venue WIFI connection with my 4G Hotspot and has enough data to send out a reliable HD feed.

EDIT: Fritz the feature is called "Download Boaster" and only available on a S5 and S7 from what I see. I found the instruction online on how to enable it if you need that info.
    Last edited by Radio_TVPat1982; 10-12-2017 at 07:01 AM.

Doing a little research and it's also available on the new S8 ... but, many carriers (like my AT&T) disable it.

There are work-arounds to get it but I'm not going down that road.

Thanks for the heads up.

Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by Radio_TVPat1982 View Post
    Gabe-Thanks for that suggestion. I dont mind a pricey solution as long as it is not subscription based. I am willing to purchase the hardware or software if I can build the cost in to cost of the events.
    I'd definitely encourage you to look at the Comrex. I don't think you need a subscription, and I hear it's rock solid. I don't think bonded internet over a cell phone is what you need; I'm pretty sure, for video, you need something capable of realigning all the packets when they arrive back to "master control" out of order (like a Comrex or Teradek).
    Gabe Thomas

Gear Used:
    Tricaster Mini
    JVC GY-HM600
    Canon HF G20
    Livetext with LTscoreboards2
    Allen & Heath ZED14

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Pat look into the Mushroom Networks productions for bonding. Also the Peplink routers we use have that capability. We use the Balance One. We also have used Cradlepoint routers in the past that can suck in Wifi to use along with the Cellular. Very handy. I believe I remember seeing LiveU rents their units so you might consider that too.

The issue with bonding is just about every product out there using some variant of bonding has to have a decoder in a rack somewhere to put the multiple streams back together into one stream. You might consider a copy of LiveStream Studio which can use multiple NICs and wireless modems to stream out. The only thing I can't remember though if the bonding works for other destinations other than just Livestream's CDN services.

Lastly, with adequate cellular coverage and speed you might be able to pull off the stream with just a singular wireless modem. I haven't done this on paying gigs but for some fun events here and there, we ran completely off of a wireless Verizon USB card. The venue connection has a DSL with .5 mbps up, the Verizon card had 15 mbps upload!! We pushed out a 1.5 meg stream with no issues for a couple hours. Just depends on your location.

We recently started putting these Verizon/Novatel T1114 units in all production vehicles to make it easier to use and integrate wireless modem access. Highly recommend getting this exact model since the new and improved model at Verizon is missing external antennae features among others. For the cost and ease to integrate into a production workflow it is worth every penny.
    http://a.co/dD99sQl
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

We use the Mushroom Networks Streamer on productions when there is no other connection available to us. It takes experimentation and patience to get all of the connections up and running, but is usually fairly solid. We've used it for tv broadcast transmission.
    Ours only supports wireless cards (not an ethernet or wifi connection) but I believe they have other models with more options. As Jef says, there needs to be a decoder on the other end. We buy that as a service from Mushroom Networks, which isn't cheap.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was hoping this would be a little easier and more common these days. Looks like their will be some substantial price involved if I go this route.

Floodstream I follow you guys on social media and love what you guys are able to do with Tricasters and a van. Great stuff.

Jef, how are things? I have also used just the Hotspot before and had success. I dont mind doing it but with my current package I only get 6G of data per month which will go quick with even just a minimal HD broadcast. We cover a travel ball national championship each season and they have access to some 15G Verizon data limits hotspots and we do fine with those.

Obviously any time you go wired you take that risk but when you are on site in a place with no internet the clients typically are OK assuming the risk I have found.

Mostly, we just share pictures of vans.

We turn on and off some of our data cards as necessary. Definitely easier than having to call and top up a pre-paid plan midway through a production :-)