Thread: Net Switch for NDI network.

Net Switch for NDI network.

Hi folks,
    I'm doing the final specs for a multi (9) camera facility that will be using 2 Tricaster Minis. I'm planning to use the versatility of NDI thru out the system. We have the wiring for a NDI dedicated network, yay
    My question (finally), what network switches should I use? POE is needed to power the cameras and I plan to use SFP fiber connection between switches.
    Any model or general specs would be appreciated.
    Thank Brook

Make sure you spec a switch with PoE+ the NewTek PTZ1 camera needs that as do most other PTZ cameras.

I've been happy with TP Link network units and they have some switches that match all of those requirements.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Ubiquiti managed switches are what we are specing and building out with now. If you are not an IT person then you need to find one you like and trust.
    Vlans are going to be your friend in the very near future.

https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgeswitch/
    or the 10G solution
    Ubiquiti Networks US-16-XG 10G 16-Port Managed Aggregation Switch

Spend the money now or spend it later once you try to do too much on a $100-200 consumer switch.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Definitely agree with the UBNT recommendation. I've been slowly transforming our fiber network from one-way video feeds to an impressively robust town-wide network. I am the only "tech guy" so it falls completely to me for speccing and implementation, and Ubiquiti sure makes it easy for one person to manage all that.

That US-16-XG switch is an aggregation switch though - there's only 4 copper 10GBE ports, and the rest are empty SFP+ slots so you can add your own modules. I suppose you could add 10gbe copper modules, but those are hundreds of dollars, and 10GB BiDi SFP+ 20KM fiber modules are more like $50 each.

It is definitely impressive having a TriCaster in our main studio receive all the inputs from the 3 other TriCasters set up around town.
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #1
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #2
    Video Nerd