Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TC1 H.264 Recording

TC1 H.264 Recording

Hello.

Setting up on new TC1, and I can't figure out how to set up a H.264 recording.
    Does the TC1 not have H.264 recording option??

Thanks.
    Imry

Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    Zane Condren
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

Thanks for that! I was kind of annoyed when I saw the change, but it's amazing! Definitely much better than before. Thank you.

I figured you would like it better.
    Zane Condren
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

I find the implementation of this to be incredibly dumb.

Why do I have to press the stream/encode button to record an H.264 file - instead of pressing the record button like all other TC products? It makes no sense to me and is confusing to the people and students I have to train to use the TriCaster.

Please, please, please change this back in the next software update.
    Last edited by bryanharley; 04-16-2018 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bryanharley View Post
    I find the implementation of this to be incredibly dumb.
    Why not just tell us how you really feel.

Quote Originally Posted by bryanharley View Post
    Why do I have to press the stream/encode button to record an H.264 file - instead of pressing the record button like all other TC products?
    First, this is not different than all other TC products. TC1 and VMC1 have had the same implementation for a year or so.

Second, although it does represent a change, it is far from "dumb". The move from "Record" into the "Stream/Encode" dialog is because H.264 capture now uses the same encoders as streaming does. This lets you capture 2 completely different H.264 recordings, rather than just one as before. This implementation has the further significant benefit of drastically reducing demands on the cpu, basically making it possible to do more than would otherwise be possible without overtaxing the system.

It would have been possible, of course, to handle this differently. For example, we could have dedicated one H.264 encoder to the Record section, and the second exclusively to streaming. However this really would have been dumb, as it would require users to sacrifice substantial functionality and flexibility just to appease *some who prefer the older, less efficient and more limited approach.

* I say "some" because this implementation has been in use for more than a year, and yours is the first objection.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I will add that you can make a very simple macro that engages recording and streaming simultaneously.
    Zane Condren
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

On my 460 AE, I still have to activate the record feature when I'm streaming to record the output.
    I just Streamed a show, the checkbox under Distribution (H.264) in the record section was checked and it didn't record.
    If I want to make use of this feature, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks
    Tricaster 460 Advanced Edition 2, Tricaster 40 V1
    2 Sony PXW-X70 Cameras, 2 Panasonic AG-HMC40P Cameras
    VSE 2.5 - VSE Advanced Edition, A bunch of Doo-Dads and cables

If it failed, perhaps the path assigned to it was not available?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Sorry, that was a bit harsh.

I do appreciate the technical changes in terms of cpu efficiency, recording two H.264 files, and being able to change the bitrate.

But I do think it makes more sense for this to be located under the record configuration and triggered by the record button. I've been training amateurs and students on TriCaster products for 6 years and this just strikes me as an odd change. Having to tell people to press the "stream" button to record instead of the "record" button doesn't make much sense.

It might make sense to you guys as engineers - but I'm just giving you the customer perspective.

A really good feature then would be to have different start buttons for the two streaming engines... but I think it was already requested many times.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorsunshine View Post
    A really good feature then would be to have different start buttons for the two streaming engines... but I think it was already requested many times.

Yes, I have been meaning to test to see what happens when you check and uncheck a box to see if it started and stopped. I assume it will keep going or not start etc. I did an event with presentations where the request was for one long recording with the intro etc and then to have a separate recording of each presentation. The work flow I wanted to use was to do the master record on streaming engine 1 and then start and stop 2 to capture the presentations. I know one option is to use the high quality record and bring them into the DDR and trim and then export but that is a lot of extra processing to wait for at the end of the night vs dropping a hand full of mp4 files onto a drive that they could upload to youtube etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    If it failed, perhaps the path assigned to it was not available?
    No. If the H.264 box is checked in the record section and I just click stream, it doesn't record. It only records if I also click record.

"If the H.264 box is checked in the record section and I just click stream, it doesn't record. It only records if I also click record."

Hi Stream,

There have been a bunch of changes over time with various SE and AE releases, and also the TC1, and I have exposure to all of those and get confused as to which has what features anymore!

But basically, IF your software version offers an "H.264" option under RECORD, that is ONLY going to work if you hit RECORD. Nothing to do with STREAM.

And if the H.264 config options are found under STREAM, then don't expect the H.264 to get recorded if you hit RECORD, because the H.264 "encoder" is part of the STREAM setup.

Hope that makes sense

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Perfect sense. I just hooked on because I thought that Steve said that it worked the same on all products. He said it worked the same on all TC products.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast