Thread: Personl project: vintage metal lunchbox

Personl project: vintage metal lunchbox

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LunchBox_Complete.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	138188

A few weeks a long overdue update of Silo 3D was released and I thought I'd give it one more try. So I made this lunch box based on the old 1960's Thermos brand. The imagery will applied to a UV map I'm illustrating on Paintshop Pro. (Hopefully I can do it better on Krita.) But I'm thinking I should just apply surface and materials on the non-decorated parts in Lightwave. The handle and lock don't need image maps.

Does anyone know what are good material settings for a plastic handle and tin?

Oh yeah, can the Bend Tool be used to fix the origin point on the center of the lunchbox handle? That way I can bend both ends away from the center.

Are you talking about LW for the bend? If so, I would use shear rather than bend, with symmetry active, using N (numeric input), with the right mouse button you can actually position the orange indicator however you want without affecting the object, and using the presets choose "ease out", this give a nice gentle curve. Shear is a very under used tool, you can use it for all sorts of curvy deformations in a pretty intuitive way.

Name:	Shear.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	219.6 KB 
ID:	138189

Also ToolChef have the lattice deformer, that would also work for what you want to do.

Name:	EndomorphIt.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	204.3 KB 
ID:	138233

Name:	Lunchbox_Lips.jpg 
Size:	293.7 KB 
ID:	138237

Name:	Lunchbox_Project.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	334.0 KB 
ID:	138238

Thanks for the shear tip.

I've realized I can't make UVs off the casing through a planar approach. The lips I designed into the lid areas have polygons that are perpendicular. I think I might have to create an endormorph but how to I make sure I flatten out the pendicular polygons before I make UVs? I also noticed the PLG Tools plugins link is gone.
    Last edited by Bernie2Strokes; 10-07-2017 at 09:08 PM.

I'm using ABF tool in this example.

Name:	UV 01.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	138243

Name:	UV 02.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	192.2 KB 
ID:	138244

Name:	UV 03.jpg 
Size:	217.5 KB 
ID:	138245

Name:	UV 04.jpg 
Size:	223.3 KB 
ID:	138246

Name:	UV 05.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	216.9 KB 
ID:	138247

Name:	UV 06.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	202.2 KB 
ID:	138248
    Last edited by djwaterman; 10-08-2017 at 12:54 AM.

I built one of these years ago, actually think I've done three in total, used swept splines in an old program called Amapi which is far better than the sad spline set up in LW, just look at how you did the handle which is ok but kind of a kludge, being able to to properly sweep a profile along a spline is far better in terms of uniformity of end result. As to uv'ing in LW the less said the better, in Modo a top down projection and a simple relax with edges locked and you'd be done and totally square and true, which if you are intending to place a pattern on the object is very important.

Thanks for the help, DJ.

Now I have to find out why the EPS file is blank in Corel Paintshop.

Name:	UV_fix.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	263.2 KB 
ID:	138252

I dunno about Corel, but here's how the export EPS setting should look.

Name:	EPS export.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	138255

Exporting the EPS UV Texture View from Modeler in LW 2015.3 using djwaterman's settings opens OK in the copy of Corel Paintshop Pro X4 I have. It's imported as a bitmap though, collapsing the curves into a "raster graphic". If I open the .EPS file in Corel Draw, the individual lines and text are retained as individual objects.

Also, note that you can drag the polygons and points around in the UV Texture window without effecting the geometry, it just slides the UV-mapped textures around on the geometry. In order to see what's going on, you need to use the Surface Editor (F5) to set up the UV Texture image map on the approprate Surface, but then it'll appear reasonably rendered in any Textured viewport.

So, if your version of Paintshop won't import the EPS file, you could create a very large, composite image in Paintshop containing all the individual front, sides and back images you want to UV map, bring it into the background in the UV Texture window, and drag the various polygons and points to fit the locations of the individual images in the composite image.

mTp

Thanks, guys. I'm starting over with an earlier save. I'll try to keep track of the steps better.

I've back tracked and separated the lids into separate layers from the four faces. I managed to do an ABF Unwrap of the walls. But when I try to do DJ's ABF Unwrap for the lids nothing appears in the UV Texture window.

Update:

I've stopped trying to ABF unwrap the lids and just made news UVs of the target areas for the illustrated texture maps. I'll just use the surface and texture editors to fill in the rest. Thanks for the assistance. After I'm done I'll go back and find out why some things didn't work properly. I might even decide to just model the casing natively in Lightwave instead of importing it.
    Last edited by Bernie2Strokes; 10-11-2017 at 05:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie2Strokes View Post
    I've back tracked and separated the lids into separate layers from the four faces. I managed to do an ABF Unwrap of the walls. But when I try to do DJ's ABF Unwrap for the lids nothing appears in the UV Texture window.

Update:

I've stopped trying to ABF unwrap the lids and just made news UVs of the target areas for the illustrated texture maps. I'll just use the surface and texture editors to fill in the rest. Thanks for the assistance. After I'm done I'll go back and find out why some things didn't work properly. I might even decide to just model the casing natively in Lightwave instead of importing it.
    For something like this, I would create the UV in LW using the Atlas setting. It will flatten the rolled edges and lay pretty much everything else out nice and flat and do a good job maintaining the spacing. Then do your export and start your texturing. I think in the end, you will be very pleased with the result.

If you are trying to create something with a specific curve, I normally create a spline the way I like it, then create a starting polygon in the shape I am looking for and then extrude it along the spline. I get the curvature I am looking for and then I can further shape the extruded object.

Anyhoo, my two cents.