Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Darkside Studios - Andrew Bishop - Create Expo 2017

Blog Entries

Darkside Studios - Andrew Bishop - Create Expo 2017

Darkside Studios - Andrew Bishop - Create Expo 2017. Talk about the great work they do and how and why they use Lightwave 3D for their 3D and VFX. There is also a little glimpse of the new Lightwave 3D Hyper Voxel systems, really cool.

https://youtu.be/wTQ6MzXwqHU

"And the vast majority of the shots we used to pump through at VTR were done in Lightwave, it's just that everyone thought they were paying for the SGI department."

"So we don't normally mention it, we don't show it on the website and we don't generally talk about it with clients, but it's still one of the main packages we use."

Alright, hands up who does the same thing. This is great stuff.

Curses. Video not there anymore.
    Guessing it was removed because of the tantalising mention of the new voxels...

Still, encouraging to hear the studio still relies on lightwave, even if they don't advertise the fact.

Okay, since the video was taken down, there are obviously sensitivities to be respected beyond what Mr Cross has said, but this guy said they still use Lightwave for 60 to 70% of their current work, and the LW Next render engine was described as amazing. The funny thing is he said "Please don't take photos of this, I'll get shot....This is the new system". Well, the video went down, so I guess he got shot

My hunch is that one reason the video went down is because the very brief clip of LW Next was heavily degraded by his presentation equipment and ambient lighting and then more again on a home monitor, so was simply not the way for us to see or judge anything. Also, it was an unofficial channel (NDAs, etc). One thing seemed pretty clear from the vibe though - regardless if a user is overwhelmed or underwhelmed by LW Next, the peeps at Newtek have not been idle....at all....
    Last edited by TheLexx; 10-01-2017 at 05:37 PM.

Yeah. To be honest, I don't mind that I can't see the video.
    The fact that they are singing LW praises, and presumable testing LW Next (or whatever it will be called) in production is very promising indeed.

Something positive to discuss instead of repeating the same conversation about no official word on what's going on or when it'll be ready.

We chatted with Andy after the talk and it was great to hear about the next version of LW and his plans - great bloke. If anyone really does want to mix it with some UK LightWavers I suggest you book into the next Create Expo - beers on the evening around the table throws up some interesting stuff

It's still painful we can't get to play with it ourselves - still waiting for the day.
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i7-5960X OC@4.2GHz | 32Gb | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti + GeForce GTX 970 4Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by tonyhall007 View Post
    Darkside Studios - Andrew Bishop - Create Expo 2017. Talk about the great work they do and how and why they use Lightwave 3D for their 3D and VFX. There is also a little glimpse of the new Lightwave 3D Hyper Voxel systems, really cool.

https://youtu.be/wTQ6MzXwqHU

SO the Youtube was removed.... Andy's knuckles rapped ... oh well BUT

ALERT: ON the Video it was mentioned that LW NeXT has Quote

' IT HAS A NEW REDESIGNED VIPER which iS GPU'ED & FAST'

that's for sure ( at the end of the Video)

Should've downloaded the video and spammed it everywhere.
    The logic of the people handling lightwave at newtek. SMH
    You get free positive publicity, ask to take it down.
    Newtek has nothing to lose at this point by leaking information. Lightwave not exactly at the cutting edge right now or the market leader in 3d. What gives? SMH
    Totally bewildered at the marketing people who think no information is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    ' IT HAS A NEW REDESIGNED VIPER which iS GPU'ED & FAST'
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....=1#post1519254
    LightWave UX Designer
    LightWave 3D Group
    A Division of NewTek Inc.

"Beautiful things are easier to use" - Don Norman

Blog Entries
    Andy's knuckles have not been rapped, I uploaded the wrong version. I am waiting for the re-edited version then will re-post, with the new Hyper-voxels VPR test.

Blog Entries
    Why I am waiting for the new Darkside edit here is the Nebula test render using the new volumetrics in Lightwave next, Darksides Studios.

Oooooohh!! Nice!
    Thanks for the video.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyhall007 View Post
    Andy's knuckles have not been rapped, I uploaded the wrong version. I am waiting for the re-edited version then will re-post, with the new Hyper-voxels VPR test.
    Might want to point him at Matt's reply.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.12.5),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Kinda getting sick of hearing people say to me when they find out that I use LW... "Oh, that's really still in development?" No one seems to know that it still kicks ***. Oh well. What can ya do? Shut up and wait I guess..that's all I can do..

Quote Originally Posted by mummyman View Post
    Kinda getting sick of hearing people say to me when they find out that I use LW... "Oh, that's really still in development?" No one seems to know that it still kicks ***. Oh well. What can ya do? Shut up and wait I guess..that's all I can do..

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast