Thread: TC1 Output to a ROSS Carbonite

TC1 Output to a ROSS Carbonite

My production wants me to run video playback and graphics from my TC1 and send to a Ross Carbonite in a production truck. I'm not sure why exactly, but this is their request.

(I should note I'm trying to plan in advance before I actually have access to the TC1 which is currently in transit to our next event location. Or I'd just test all of this myself.)

Do the OUTS of the TC1 include an embedded ALPHA channel if, for example, if routed DDR1 to OUT2 and played a video that had a transparency?

Further, I'm not sure if the Ross requires a separate feed for KEY and FILL like an EVS would output. I'm sure we could use some sort of de-embedder, but I was wondering how the TC1 would handle this alone.

I know you can set a multiview window to SHOW ALPHA, so can one of the OUTs be set to ALPHA ONLY of a particular source?

That way I could set OUT2 to be DDR1 and OUT3 to be DDR1-ALPHA. Problem solved.

ALTERNATELY: My super back-up idea is loading DDR1 with the full video and DDR2 with its black/white matte. Then select both DDRs in my playback control delegation and fire them off at the same time. Each routed to a different out. Kind of double the export work though, but would function much like an EVS.

Thanks in advance.

It is not possible to embed a key in a SDI signal, SDI doesn't support it.

What you would need to do is put the the DDR in a M/E and there is a 'Show Alpha' effect you. This will give you a black/white image of the alpha. Now output the DDR directly out of one outputs on the TC1, then the M/E showing the alpha out of a second output on the TC1. Connect these two outputs to the Ross system. After that it is up to the Ross system to put the key and fill back together. I'm assuming the Ross can do this but I don't know how.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Awesome! That's the easy version of my backup plan and no exporting an annoying matte file. Thank you!

OK. I'm with the system now. I've configured the M/E to see the DDR's alpha using (Show Alpha), and it does in fact display the blank and white alpha on my live desktop. I then routed the DDR to OUTPUT 1 and the M/E to OUTPUT 2. OUTPUT 2 should now theoretically be showing the black and white alpha from the M/E -- but it is still just showing the full DDR image.

Show Alpha only seems to change my live desktop view and not the output.

Thoughts?

It's working here on a TC1.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Are you doing SHOW ALPHA inside the M/E, or perhaps as an option in the multiviewer? In the M/E, you need to go to Virtual Sets, then scroll down to the bottom of the list, and in UTILITIES folder there is SHOW ALPHA and that is actually applied to the M/E including output. Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: PTZ Optics 20x SDI

Got it. I was using the live view context menu and not actually applying the effect through the M/E. I think one of kenep's sentences got cut off.

Thank you! Working!

Good catch, Jeff.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Glad to help. Kane did mention this a couple days back, but details are easily missed especially when we read these posts on phones and such!

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: PTZ Optics 20x SDI