Thread: NDI over public Internet

NDI over public Internet

Here is tool that will allow you to send NDIŽ over the Internet. It's current in beta, but you can try it out.

https://www.medialooks.com/ndi
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

For those of you who have been waiting for professional Wide Area Networking for NDI, Sienna Cloud for NDI (NDI.Cloud) is now in beta and is now free for all to try during its public beta phase.

Sienna Cloud for NDI has already been well proven during the extensive testing and has been used for multicam sports backhaul, remote editorial monitoring, and many other applications between different cities, states and even continents.

Unlike solutions based on video conferencing standards, Sienna Cloud for NDI has been developed specifically for broadcast quality at full frame rate, with the ability to control datarate, and unique features such as multicam frame accurate synchronisation, and support for fill and key over the internet.

Professionals looking for a serious alternative to Satellite, or Dark fiber or an upgrade from Skype or WebRTC should claim their free public beta account using the link below.

Sienna Cloud for NDI - Public Beta Registration

More information at http://sienna.cloud

Great news, just in time for IBC!
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

This looks pretty interesting.

Going to have to play with it!

I can definitely see a lot of applications, especially since (so far) it's FREE!

Cheers,

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

UPDATE:

Just ran a little test from my house (using NDI camera) to the Museum in downtown Chicago and it WORKS (at least point to point). Have to connect it up to the TriCaster, on our LAN via NDI, but seems like this is really something!
    Last edited by fgolman; 09-19-2017 at 07:02 PM.

We have had a great response to the Sienna.Cloud for NDI launch - enabling NDI over the public internet, within a professional, cloud configured service created with technology custom built for the task.

There is plenty of technical information for those that are interested, in the Sienna.Cloud White Paper

Hundreds of users are now registered on the system enabling them to share their NDI sources across the internet. Sienna.Cloud is a fully bi-directional system where each node gateway can send and receive NDI sources with any other member of their group. Sienna.Cloud can be configured to the lowest (and fixed) latency in class and has perfect audio sync.

Something useful to know is that the standard model in Sienna.Cloud is for users to create a node for each of their locations, then a PRIVATE group to connect them together - this means that only another node in their private group can connect to the sources.

However, Sienna.Cloud also has a SHARED group mode, where a user can create a SHARED group containing their nodes, and then invite a 3rd party to connect to that group via their own Sienna.Cloud account, using an ID and Password rather like teamviewer. After joining the shared group, the 3rd party is 'part of the party' !
    Either side can terminate the arrangement instantly. Here are some other great benefits of Sienna.Cloud

So, the hundreds of registered Sienna.Cloud users who are spread right across the entire globe are *ALREADY* setup to create ad-hoc video connections with any other user who wishes to collaborate, within a password-protected group.

This shared group concept is one of the really exciting opportunities which Sienna.Cloud opens up for remote production, remote interviews, and things like remote direction of editorial.

More information at: http://sienna.cloud

And if anyone hasn't yet claimed their free beta account, they are available by signing up HERE
    Last edited by livepad; 09-20-2017 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fgolman View Post
    This looks pretty interesting.

Going to have to play with it!

I can definitely see a lot of applications, especially since (so far) it's FREE!

Cheers,

Fritz Golman

UPDATE:

Just ran a little test from my house (using NDI camera) to the Museum in downtown Chicago and it WORKS (at least point to point). Have to connect it up to the TriCaster, on our LAN via NDI, but seems like this is really something!
    I have to agree with this post. Media looks app really does work great for point to point ndi links over the interwebs. Here at home I used the app and the resulting image at the far end looks great as if generated locally. We even tried splitting my available home B/W between an ndi desktop capture and a camera input via a BMD decklink card ( the app works natively with BMD capture cards using the BMD SDK ) and still looked great, with the crew switching both sources as needed. It's free and anyone wanting long distance NDI using the interwebs really must try this app.
    Last edited by AElli; 10-07-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Do you have to have a PC with the Nvidia cards? I tried plugging an NDI camera directly in, and while the app could see the cam, the DL side of the app was 100% crashtastic

Quote Originally Posted by dhodlick View Post
    Do you have to have a PC with the Nvidia cards? I tried plugging an NDI camera directly in, and while the app could see the cam, the DL side of the app was 100% crashtastic
    Give Sienna.Cloud a try. At present it's free
    Works on macOS, Ubuntu and Windows 7 and *doesn't require a GPU*.
    http://sienna.cloud

The Medialooks apps don't require specific hardware, unless you want it to do SDI capture/playout.

You just use the two apps (transmit and receive) as gateways to existing NDI equipment on your network, be it an NDI PTZ camera, TriCaster, etc. I've even used it for a CG to send graphics (although the alpha channel on the playout doesn't work yet). Haven't tested the "bidirectional" feeds on NDI that would pass PTZ, tally, etc, though.

Doesn't even have to be very powerful CPUs I've noted.

Bandwith is the key, the more the better, but it does work with pretty low speeds equivalent to residential cable modems.

Fritz Golman

I gave the MediaLooks stuff a shot but the receive module kept crashing out on my system. I will try a different config.

NDI cloud - I have a beta account, but I am a total networking n00b and step-by-step instuctions are few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by dhodlick View Post
    NDI cloud - I have a beta account, but I am a total networking n00b and step-by-step instuctions are few and far between.
    Did you work through the QuickStart guide ?

if you get stuck, there is a great Community forum, and you can also contact the developers using the email at the bottom of the page at Sienna.Cloud

Please give feedback to the developers if you are finding it tough to get started - that is the whole point of the public beta phase, so there are people ready and waiting to hear about any challenges you are having.