Thread: Streaming to Youtube - Looses the reference to the YT channel

Streaming to Youtube - Looses the reference to the YT channel

Hi,

Has anyone come across this problem: (it may be a Gremlin)

We stream a show to Youtube a couple of nights a week. We set up the event on Youtube and point the TC to that live event.
    The TC sees it and we do a test stream to ensure that YT is receiving the feed; We stop the stream (from the stream button);
    then a couple of minutes before we go live, we want to stream again, but we then HAVE to click on the Streaming Gear again and point the TC to the YT channel again. One cant just stream again ... is this normal?

this entire process happens within a time frame of 15 - 25 minutes before going live.

What am I missing?

Cheers
    Nino

We have had that exact thing happen on our 460, one time it bit us hard. We did a series of graduations; did the test stream at 5:30am that morning, came up great. Started the first graduation, started streaming, and our phone lines LIT UP with grandparents mad that they couldn't see the stream.

Our uStream settings in the stream panel had reverted back to the default (first) channel in our account.

I've also had this bite us in a less serious way - the resolution settings also revert to default after a test stream. So we do a test in nice pristine HD, then start our event and people start complaining that graphics are fuzzy. Uggg.

I have not gotten around to bugging it; need to do a software update on my machines to make sure we're on the latest and the problem continues. But thank you for the reminder; my post is in affirmation that this probelm exists.
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-AVP View Post
    We have had that exact thing happen on our 460, one time it bit us hard. We did a series of graduations; did the test stream at 5:30am that morning, came up great. Started the first graduation, started streaming, and our phone lines LIT UP with grandparents mad that they couldn't see the stream.

Our uStream settings in the stream panel had reverted back to the default (first) channel in our account.

I've also had this bite us in a less serious way - the resolution settings also revert to default after a test stream. So we do a test in nice pristine HD, then start our event and people start complaining that graphics are fuzzy. Uggg.

I have not gotten around to bugging it; need to do a software update on my machines to make sure we're on the latest and the problem continues. But thank you for the reminder; my post is in affirmation that this probelm exists.
    Hi,

We had the same issue as you with the previous version, after an update to the software, that PARTICULAR issue seems to have been resolved.
    However our problem is that even after doing the stream test, we can't "just hit the stream button again". The YouTube preset is still enabled, but the TC is no longer "verified" / "signed in" to that particular Youtube Account/Event. It seems like it looses that connection.
    So once you hit the stream button the error message saying somehting along the lines of "Can not stream, no streaming destination" comes up.
    Once we point the TC to the same Channel & event again and hit stream immediately, all is peachy!
    So not a big problem, as long as you know how to work around it, but still not ideal.

Anyone else experienced this?

Rgds
    Nino

We're investigating a way to resolve this, but I'm told that (as implemented by YouTube) events are effectively 'one time' if you go live. More news when it's available.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I meant to include that in my reply. YouTube events ARE one-time. You can test to them without going live, but if you stop streaming, you have to generate a new key.

So my issue may be resolved with software update, and his looks to be a CDN constraint.
    www.avprva.com

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    We're investigating a way to resolve this, but I'm told that (as implemented by YouTube) events are effectively 'one time' if you go live. More news when it's available.
    Hi Steve,
    thank you for your reply! As always, appreciated!

We don't actually go live with the YouTube stream, but simply test to ensure that the signal is going through to YT. (Preview only, not live). It is after this that the problem occurs.
    Looking forward to more feedback, when your team has had a chance to investigate.

Quote Originally Posted by Malapati View Post
    We don't actually go live with the YouTube stream, but simply test to ensure that the signal is going through to YT. (Preview only, not live).
    Yeah, I understand you can do that from their webpage, but I'm not sure the API calls are as flexible. Anyway, I know for a fact it's being examined, so am hopeful for some sort of approach that will make this smoother.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Please don't change the process for YouTube! The preview mode before going live (controlled from their web page) works SO much better than the Facebook method (where you go live the moment you hit the stream button, with no option to check quality, etc).

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

I think the object would be to properly support the preview mode, Fritz - not to eliminate it.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Malapati View Post
    Hi Steve,
    thank you for your reply! As always, appreciated!

We don't actually go live with the YouTube stream, but simply test to ensure that the signal is going through to YT. (Preview only, not live). It is after this that the problem occurs.
    Looking forward to more feedback, when your team has had a chance to investigate.
    If you disconnect from YouTube, that stream key is no longer valid. That is just how YouTube works. You have to generate a new stream key - which the Tricaster is doing for you - which requires you to re-credential. If you want to do a test, you either test in preview and then click go live without ever disconnecting, OR you have to re-credential and re-connect with a new stream key.
    www.avprva.com

UK based Live Production
    Just use the legacy flash option in the Tric for both facebook and youtube - you can test and then go live when you want.

My understanding - from YouTube support - had previously been that, if you run a test and then disconnect without going live, your entry point info (stream and key) expire and have to be regenerated.

This page, however, seems to contradict that belief: https://support.google.com/youtube/a..._topic=6105666

Not in a position to test right now, but it would seem that the best option is to just use the stream and key instead of the YouTube module, as suggested in the previous reply.
    www.avprva.com