Thread: Auto-launch previous session

Auto-launch previous session

Hi, I recently overhauled our campus TV station utilizing a new Tricaster 460, running AE2. When you turn it on, it gets to the "select session" screen and starts counting down at the top from 15 seconds to select a session. If you don't select in time, it goes to the last session launched. We also have a 3 year old 860 running AE2 for sports production, but it goes to the select session screen and stops there. As a teaching facility, we have 4 sections of classes, plus 8-10 student produced shows, each with their own session. How do I turn off the countdown feature to auto-start the last session? Obviously with so many sessions people are ending up in someone else's session if they miss the window.

This is the standard behavior now, sorry. I get why this bites you, and we'll consider it.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I don't have experience with this and sadly have a new job that doesn't allow me to use Tricasters. but this seems a little crazy to me. Many facilities ( public access stations, schools, etc) have multiple users each with their own session. I guess it's not a big deal if it doesn't count down when you exit a session and go back to the home screen. I understand the appeal of this feature but this will cause too many problems for many users... IMO this needs to be an option or take it away.

Or at least have the option to disable it.

I have an easy fix. If you dont want it to auto connect at start you can always download something that is not whitelisted by Newtek. Maybe someone has another suggestion but if you added something that was OK but not whitelisted that will fix that problem. The countdown will still start after you hit the Ok button.

I personally love the new feature as I use my MINI for mobile production each event. I plug it in, turn it on and it is loading the session while I get the mouse, monitor, keyboard and NDI sources loaded! Saves me a couple minutes each event. An option to disable it would be ideal though.

I understand, believe me. I deal with multiple language sessions every week and often have to back out of, say, a Spanish session. This said, we add options/prefs with great reticence. Keeping it simple is in TriCaster's DNA. And really, wildfire 'proliferation of prefs' is antithetical to modern UI design.

Obviously this requires us to come up with defaults that satisfy the vast majority. The fact that it's been this way for quite some time without anyone objecting (until today) suggests we're not all that far off the mark (not too surprising, since this was a very common feature request for years). That said, of course there are those who prefer the old approach. Bear in mind that if you're paying even a little attention on launch there is no issue; and if you do load the wrong session, you can back out and select another with a couple of clicks.

All factors weighed, I'm not really sure we've got this wrong, but I appreciate the feedback and we will consider it.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

A simple solution is to have the initial install default to auto-load the last session, but for users like us that have 15 sessions, have an option in the setup to defeat this. This way everyone wins. Surely this couldn't be too complex of a change in your build?