Thread: Best 3rd Party Graphics Solution?

Question Best 3rd Party Graphics Solution?

I've got a Tricaster 460 running the AE2, and my boss wants me to start doing live sports productions streamed online. I'm looking for suggestions/reviews of 3rd Party graphics solutions like Character Works, Vizrt, Nixus Celio, NewBlue Titler, and NSport.

I've virtually no experience with live sports, so I probably have a lot of blind spots in terms of implementing a solution that will work seamlessly in a live environment. Can anyone who's used a few of these products chime in with their opinions of the strengths and weaknesses of each?

Anyone have any advice for what to look for and what to avoid in a graphics solution that will be need to be run by a small team (possibly even just me running the graphics and the tricaster at the same time)?

You should probably also add Compix to your search (www.compix.tv).

To add to your confusion, there are also a plethora of free software packages.

You might want to check out Caspar CG, pretty well known for their titling and animation software (www.casparcg.com).

Obviously, going forward, any software that supports NDI gets a gold star, too.

Cheers,

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

SuiteCG MultiSport Scoreboard will be available soon. Designed for very simple operation like you describe, as well as more complex options. I hope to have a new update video posted sometime in the next week or two. www.suitecg.com
    Zach Schuster
    SuiteCG- Sports Scoreboard and Stat Tools
    Tricaster 855/455
    Zeplay Instant Replay
    ScoreOCR
    Sony NX5U

I would suggest that you make a list of must have on the graphics front and them match up the providers. Basically what is most important to you.

I lucked out and had a company with a very solid package provide me one for free in exchange for some referrals and testing.

I will warn you that some of the higher end graphics solutions come with no pre built templates or very few. If you are looking for a turn key solution for sports you may want to look at Graphics Outfitters. The new Virtz partnership also looks amazing! Character Works has a solid product but they don't offer a full turn key solution. You would have to build each package from scratch or pay someone to do it. I looked a NewBlue Titler recently and like everything about them except for their turn key packages are a bit too flashy for me. I also wanted something I just could auto adjust columns and rows for chart style graphics like stats.

As mentioned, find one that does NDI. Another thing to look for is to find someone that can handle data link. It makes things much easier that way. You can build one lower 3rd for each team instead of say 100 for each football team. Even the regular Tricaster graphics can support Data Link now and they have some packages available for a really decent price.

https://www.newtek.com/software/cont...cks/#sg-slider

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Radio_TVPat1982, to your point. I guess my biggest need is the ability to pull real-time score and clock information so that I don't have to do it manually and risk displaying information that disagrees with the score keeping on the field/court/mat/whatever. I'll be covering mostly city league, highschool, and local non-collegiate or professional sports. I'll be travelling from small venue to small venue and most of them have their own score boards. Some don't have anything. I'm not worried about doing a little design work to make the graphics pretty or to match whatever brand I want. It's more important to me that when we go live the solution just works.

I've been told that most scoreboard systems are daktronics systems most of these graphics solutions mention that they work with Daktronics but I haven't seen anyone explain how the integration works. Is it a simple USB connection out of the daktronics board into a machine running graphics software? I imagine there is more to it than that. Also, what if one of these schools has some other off-brand scoreboard system. does that rule out the whole possibility of pulling data from the scoreboard?

With that in mind, I'm curious what others have to say about how they would handle this situation.

Just to follow up on answering your question about getting data in to your graphics from the score board. You are correct that most but not all boards are Daktronics. You will find some especially at the lower levels that are not even a brand you have heard of.

You will need a device that turns the data out the board and makes it readable in your graphics software. These boxes are typically called score bots. There used to be only one or two companies that made these now there are a few more. Sportzcast, and Graphics Outfitters I know both offer a box. You want to find a flexible one since you will be moving from site to site. Also know there will be some cable and network setup needed for these to communicate.

There is also one other solution that can be used and that is OCR (optical character Recognition) software. This basically takes a clock cam and the software can read the score and convert the data and send it down the line. It has some advantages and disadvantages. In a pinch it could work it you cant match a board. This however will not feed stats and things like that.

If you want things like real time data from stats you have to link that data to the source it is coming from. Say for instance if you are doing a D-I football game you can pull you stats from stat cast. One last note is that you can take this stuff straight in your Tricaster now a days if you have AE. Tricaster supports data link. Like the other graphics solutions you will need to set it up to work.

If possible it is normally best to go out a day ahead of time to setup the different feeds. From past experience it can go south quick.
    Last edited by Radio_TVPat1982; 09-15-2017 at 06:06 AM.