Thread: Faster software download CDNs

Faster software download CDNs

One of our TC1s is completely out of service today. Troubleshooting with NewTek involved downloading 7 GB of updates, that failing to fix the problem, having to restore to factory defaults, then downloading those same updates yet again.

Your CDNs max out at just under 4MB/sec. That is over an hour of waiting around for those updates to download, meanwhile we're dead in the water with a completely non-functional switcher.

A CDN maxing out at 30mbit is pathetic when you're serving 7GB+ updates. Please upgrade your content delivery networks/download servers. Thanks.
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #1
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #2
    Video Nerd

I'll pass along your remarks to our IT people, thanks. Just as a tip, please note that you can perform a TriCaster restore operation in about 10 minutes, give or take, and no download required. This can be a lifesaver when those minutes are precious. And this is all the more valuable if you have created a custom backup drive.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

That doesn't preclude you from having to download/install any updates released since the last restore image was made.

It didn't help in our situation anyway, TC1 is still crashing on startup after a factory restore.

Was also expecting an email from support today which never came... guess I'll have to call in again tomorrow
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    Video Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by lukerctv View Post
    That doesn't preclude you from having to download/install any updates released since the last restore image was made.
    True, but assuming you made it at a time when your system was well configured and running without issue, it does serve the purpose. Sounds like your problem is something other than software anyway, mind you. You didn't really specify what sort of issue you've encountered.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Update Tip: manually DOWNLOAD the TriCaster updates, either on TriCaster (from Windows screen) or another PC, rather than using the INSTALL option. This will create a folder called C:\TriCaster Build.

I then move that download folder to the D: drive since doing a RESTORE on TriCaster completely wipes the C: drive and you of course then lose your download if saved on C: drive.

I also rename the folder to include the VERSION name of the download. I usually have the last few builds available on my D: drive - in case I have troubles with a new update I can easily roll back to a previous build.

Worst case scenario that I do both a RESTORE and UPDATE in the field, looking at maybe 20 minutes (I've done it on location, no internet needed). Good idea to also have your serial and 6-digit registration code on the machine. I made a little label that is on my TC, then I always have it readily available. I actually have the original SE info and the AE info both on my label!

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: PTZ Optics 20x SDI

We do try to keep copies of Tricaster builds on portable media, but I do second the statement that Newtek download servers are comparatively slow. You definitely don't want to be caught in the wild trying to make an update (nor should you, professionally) but even here in the shop it's on the tedious side. They're slow, and we have a timeout at least 25% of the time we go to make a download.
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

Props to NewTek for listening - I'm downloading all sorts of updates today because I finally have some downtime with our TriCasters, and they're humming along at 11-12MB/sec! Much better than in the past. Hopefully this is a permanent change!

Edit: Ohhh noooo, as soon as I post that, the downloads go back to 3MB/sec... some kind of throttling?

Edit 2: Down to 2.3MB/sec. Am I being punished? :P
    Last edited by lukerctv; 09-12-2017 at 10:49 AM.
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    Video Nerd

Someone else started a download at the same time. :-P
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

Just to let you know that we are looking into this.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Any update on this? Downloads are especially horrible today... with 3 TriCasters to update. Fun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 5.10.50 PM.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	138268
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    Video Nerd

We're having issues here too today. The good people from our provider are expected shortly.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator