Thread: It's happening again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's happening again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, this is my 4th or 5th single hdd mini TriCaster. I have lost track as to how many it has been. It hasn't been used over the summer and we have used it now several times since the start of the new school year. It just lost it's warranty, (imagine that). We just had another shoot ruined where we had to call someone back in to do the shoot over again. Some shoots we have done that got ruined because of this we never did get to redo because of certain circumstances. The reason why it was ruined is it says, your hard drive may not be fast enough blah blah stuff. Then it starts to give me jump cuts which makes it all unusable. This has happened on 3 or 4 others and each time they had to replace my mini. I am the main person that uses it. No one else touches the thing other than to push some buttons etc. Nothing gets done to the machine but to record different things. I restarted it and the problem has since gone away, at least for the time being. This is how the others started. I am really getting scared now that this thing is out of warranty.
    Has NewTek ever thought of trying SSD drives?

Is there anything unusual about your environment? I've been running a Mini in constant daily use for nearly two years without incident, which suggests to me that something unexpected is happening to your drives. Apart from unusual heat or dust (unlikely, I think), the first thing that comes to mind is 'dirty' power.

(This may seem like grasping at straws, but one must ask. Back in my reseller days, I had a customer who had repeated failures that I could not reproduce. One day he casually mentioned living right across from Venice Beach, and having had to replace his home's electrical fixtures due to corrosion from the salt air. Well, guess what ...)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Newbie Member
    Hi there! Curtis Wood at ComputerWise can help you out by installing SSD drives in your Mini, he does it all the time.
    Give us a call (435) 752-2500 ComputerWise....
    Lisa k Wood
    Vice President
    ComputerWise Inc.
    300 North Main Street
    North Logan Utah 84341
    435-752-2500
    www.computerwise.net

Nothing unusual at all. Controlled temps of 73 degrees or even a little less. No dust, or virtually no dust.
    How can a person tell if it is dirty power? Should I put in a UPS that regulates power? There really should not be any dirty power though. Maybe I'm just one of the unlucky ones.

Newbie Member
    Try running an extension cord to a separate breaker so only the Mini is on that breaker, that's an easy quick way to see if that solves the problem. All TriCasters seem to like good clean power, or a breaker all to themselves.
    Lisa k Wood
    Vice President
    ComputerWise Inc.
    300 North Main Street
    North Logan Utah 84341
    435-752-2500
    www.computerwise.net

But that's not a real life situation. Almost impossible in my situation. I am in a school system. I think the one thing that would be of a benefit if it is that, I could maybe use a UPS that has a power regulator on it. I have another dual hdd mini that I use on the same outlet. I use that to set that mini up for travel. It seems fine on that outlet.

I don't think that Lisa is saying that is necessarily the solution, but a test to find the cause.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Okay, I get that. It's still almost impossible to do though. I don't know where I can find an outlet on its own breaker in the school.

You'd be surprised about power.

I have an office where an older Dell CPU works fine but a newer one is seemingly much more sensitive to power quality. Went through six CPUs before we'd believe it.

After running 4-6 hours, on system restart, wouldn't power up. Tried same with virtually same load on outlet at home and ran flawlessly!

The only way to be 100% sure would be be with a fairly sophisticated power line analyzer.

Cheers,

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications