Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why have you stuck with LW all this time!

Quote Originally Posted by Over View Post
    Iīm getting there...

Attachment 137855

Also, I donīt think I need to spend one year with any app to be able to know how fast you can do things in it. Itīs obvious that practice is what makes anyone fast with any tool, but thereīre tools that are easier to use.
    That looks nice to me, but at the top of the gear stick, on the right, there is a polygon with triangles streaking from the corner which looks odd to my eye. Am I missing something there ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    That looks nice to me, but at the top of the gear stick, on the right, there is a polygon with triangles streaking from the corner which looks odd to my eye. Am I missing something there ?
    Can't really see the area you're referring to in detail but triangulation isn't necessarily a problem, especially when you can control your smoothing like you can in Modo.

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    Actually the fact that Modeler is still a relevant modeler after years of neglect is testament to its design.
    Yes. 100% in agreement

Iīm getting there...

Attachment 137855

Also, I donīt think I need to spend one year with any app to be able to know how fast you can do things in it. Itīs obvious that practice is what makes anyone fast with any tool, but thereīre tools that are easier to use.
    How many polys? Are you using any instances? Any Mesh Ops? Any sub-dīs? Rounded edge shader?

I use LightWave because it works and I used it so long that I can do or find ways to solve almost everything I need to do. I should add that I almost don't use any plugins at all besides dp stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedpup View Post
    How many polys? Are you using any instances? Any Mesh Ops? Any sub-dīs? Rounded edge shader?

Wow! ...

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    Muscle memory. I am just way faster in LW than anytihng else. I know where everything is and I know where the land mines are.
    Exactly the same for me..

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    Ok, those HV puffballs are the biggest pain for me in Lightwave...
    Do you mean the screws? if thatīs the case is like the place mesh tool in LW, but this time it works. Anyhow, you need a good deal of front view adjustemnts to space them realistically in both apps taking into account that instruments are not all the same size.
    Last edited by Over; 09-08-2017 at 11:17 AM.

but at the top of the gear stick, on the right, ... Am I missing something there ?
    I canīt understand which part you refer to.

your average lightwaver gpdesigner's Avatar
    Started with Inspire 3d in the late 90's... stuck with Lightwave because I am comfortable with it, like it's ease of use awesome layout, integrated render engine and... I'm too old to learn another program...
    gp
    " Nuts! " . . . ~General Anthony McAuliffe: 101st Airborne at 'The Battle of the Bulge'
    MacPro Quad Core x64| 16 Gb Ram | 10.7.5 ~ Bootcamp ~ Windows 7 x32 bit.

Do you mean the screws? if thatīs the case is like the place mesh tool in LW, but this time it works. Anyhow, you need a good deal of front view adjustemnts to space them realistically in both apps taking into account that instruments are not all the same size.
    I mean the puffballness of Hypervoxels.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

I canīt understand which part you refer to.
    Hi Over, to my eye the model looks like some sort of cockpit. There appears to be a window with a curved frame. Just inside the curve of the frame are a couple of bits with triangles in them when all the rest appear rectangle. Was just curious really, the model looks good to me.

Wow! ...
    What? Difficult questions to answer? Sorry, hard to tell from one single screenshot. But as an example, I see several places in that picture where it would be natural to use instances. So if you did not, and then so unequivocally say you can remodel something faster in Modeller, it is more a matter of you not utilizing Modos features and tools to its fullest (like hrgiger said).
    Last edited by Wickedpup; 09-08-2017 at 03:09 PM.

For me, it’s familiarity also. I know Lightwave reasonably well. As a hobbyist I also dabble in other programs and to be honest I think they all kind of suck. Everyone that I’ve tried seems to find a way to frustrate me. I like Lghtwave and then run into stupid issues. The most recent one is audio support. I’m on a Mac and well… it sucks. I also wanted a UI picker for Character animation and without being able to script it, it doesn’t exist. Maya- powerful cluttered interface and steep learning curve. Modo- seems ok but it just doesn’t really click with me. Blender- Besides the weird interface (I’m trying Brett’s LW to Blender course). I also find stupid stuff in there as well. Add a sub D modifier on your object. Guess what? You can’t remove it or toggle it on and off, wtf? Z-Brush- Another weird interface. However, I actually like it even though if I don’t use it for a while I get to have to learn it all over again. 3D coat- I’ve really only used it for ReTopology and the mirroring doesn’t lock on the x axis. I have to go and fix it after importing in another program. Again, wtf? And the ability to interchange information between programs and continue to work on things after is a bit of joke. In my world (Audio post production) you can import and export OMF’s, AAF’s, EDL’s and edit information in and out of most programs. It’s not perfect but it sure is a lot better than most of the 3d world. My other problem is, as a hobby I don’t have a lot of time to dig into the programs as much as I’d like. My opinion only, YMMV.

Hi Over, to my eye the model looks like some sort of cockpit. There appears to be a window with a curved frame. Just inside the curve of the frame are a couple of bits with triangles in them when all the rest appear rectangle. Was just curious really, the model looks good to me.
    Likely he's attaching the curved part of the window frame and merging them down into triangles or triangle shaped quads to avoid a large ngon there. It shouldn't present any type of problem.
    Last edited by hrgiger; 09-08-2017 at 02:52 PM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast