Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why have you stuck with LW all this time!

I think norka should spend a little time for thinking before writing such a funny statement. We are not comparing a full 3d package that does everyting from modeling to animation and rendering with a software which is perhaps more expensive than full package and the only thing it does is rendering.
    Btw i trully doubt you can do better rendering with your tools than some of amazing works we have seen in the gallery.
    Have you seen the Ed by Chris Jones? Share your amazing result with that 80s or 90s work.
    I will be very intresred to see them even though u seem to be a very humbled artist hiding your masterpieces.

Lwcad, pictrix, plg and dpont.

I personally like the minimalistic interface.
    Its the first 3D software I bought and I have never had a project where I have needed to go and outlay a load more cash to move to another piece of software. Yes there are some better tools in other packages, but I am still able to accomplish everything I need to with LW. The next release will definitely be welcome though, just to make life easier

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    In order of importance.
    1. Price
    2. Good renderer with unlimited render nodes
    3. Familiarity

All three are now irrelevant.

1. Blender is free
    2. Lightwave is not the only one with a good renderer with unlimited render nodes
    3. Maya, max, modo, blender are equally familiar now. Lightwave becoming less familiar now since i haven't used it much in months and no Lwnext updates helps it become more irrelevant.
    This. Please take note.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Blender is incredibly weird but at the price and features, I keep thinking I need to get into it at some point but honestly it really puts me off. I just saw the features coming for next year and it looks like they will be adding workspaces which in my opinion are long overdue for that app. But for now, I'm pretty happy with Modo.
    Workspaces in Blender would be very welcome (if well-implemented). I really don't understand a lot of things about Blender, but I've followed some really good tutorials on YouTube, and asked a lot of basic questions on blender.stackexchange.com (keeping a growing folder of notes!), such as how to target, how to add and rotate HDR environments, etc., and see that it has decent fluids, fully-realized bullet, decent compositing, etc. -- but even following tutorials sometimes leaves me wondering how things were done (and I did them!)

The shape of the learning curve is a sideways "8". I've been seeing comparisons between Blender, Modo, etc. recently on YouTube, and how to make them work alike (to a degree). VERY helpful!

Modo looks awesome also.

Iīd would like to make clear first that Iīm all for a new LW release and that I support all of some people critisism here. LW needs to arrive to 2017 and beyond if they want to be relevant.

With that being said... Iīm sorry for making my opinion look absolute, but you will hardly find a faster modeling solution for solids than Modeler+LWCAD+wathever, and yes Steve, I know that some procedures are just impossible in Modeler, but you need to understand that some people donīt run into those issues always. (Steve calling stop, now for all) Thatīs what makes me keep LW as my main modeling tool for now. Modo, C4D, Max (Iīm sorry, I canīt afford more apps, money is not infinite), all have more steps to make the same things that LW do in one or two steps. I would not care less if the workflow is destructive or not, with LW I can redo as fast as you rearrange your procedural item in Modo.

Anyhow, my next project will be all Modo, I want to get as familiar with it as Iīm now with Max and LW.

Hope the wifey never found out how much I have spent.

I was ready to upgrade to commercial LW version, but I've been informed by NewTek to wait for the next LW release. If I don't hear anything within next coming months regarding LW—I'll probably be looking into MODO via The Foundry's graduate discount or the MODO 10/MARI 3 indie bundle on Steam.

(EDIT)

Modo Indie 11 is apparently on it's way. However, that was posted June29th. Also, I've been informed that the indie versions are limited.

I'll probably just wait for LW Next. Newtek is rewarding 2015 users with a $295 upgrade.
    Last edited by jperk; 09-07-2017 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Just informed that...

I still use LightWave because:

1. I like it.

2. It gets the job done quickly.

3. It's very affordable.

4. All the studios where I've worked have it. Sure, we have other 3D programs available but I rely on LightWave for most of my 3D tasks because of items 1 & 2.

5. The artists I work with tend to also be LightWave people, and they're more fun to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Over View Post
    With that being said... Iīm sorry for making my opinion look absolute, but you will hardly find a faster modeling solution for solids than Modeler+LWCAD+wathever, and yes Steve, I know that some procedures are just impossible in Modeler, but you need to understand that some people donīt run into those issues always. (Steve calling stop, now for all) Thatīs what makes me keep LW as my main modeling tool for now. Modo, C4D, Max (Iīm sorry, I canīt afford more apps, money is not infinite), all have more steps to make the same things that LW do in one or two steps. I would not care less if the workflow is destructive or not, with LW I can redo as fast as you rearrange your procedural item in Modo.
    Well that's the problem with absolutes as opinion, they're all relative. If you say something is faster to do in Modeler than another app, who am I to argue the point? I'm sure for you that is absolutely the case. Or maybe its even definitively true in some cases. But then as you've already said, you're not familiar with Modo as well as you are with LW so why would that ever be the case that you would be faster in it? But in any event, absolutely there are some things that few could argue aren't quicker to do in Modeler than in another app but if that's the only thing you gauge as important to you, then absolutely I say stick with Modeler. But speed is not the only thing that is important to me. Function, workflow, flexibility... these things are equally if not more important to me than just raw speed. Again, not to drudge up old discussions but I could easily list dozens of things in Modo Modeling that are either a hacky workaround in Modeler or simply just not possible to do with Modeler. And that to me is far more relevant then simply how fast you can perform an operation. Does it mean that Modo is just better than Modeler? That's for everyone to decide on their own, for me, it is certainly the case. But its really just pretty simple to see when you have something that's been consistently improved for the last 13 years vs one that's been largely ignored for that amount of time, you tend to get a few advantages in those improvements. But again, all a matter of preference.

If you want to see how fast its possible to work with quality in Modo, I would suggest watching some of Tor Fricks modeling sessions on YouTube or Twitch

Actually the fact that Modeler is still a relevant modeler after years of neglect is testament to its design.

Well I don't know if I would say relevant. Working maybe....

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Well I don't know if I would say relevant. Working maybe....
    While I was working as an art director, I heard "Max sucks" a lot. Since they didn't hear "Lightwave sucks" except when I was doing it wrong, I got lots of questions about why that was...
    The stack in Max is fine, unless the person working on the scene before was sloppy and did lots of extraneous operations that bloated the stack. I'd spend a good part of a day figuring out what the heck their thought process was. Then a few hours hours streamlining it and fixing the dependencies the mashed together. Ugh!
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger
    you're not familiar with Modo as well as you are with LW
    Iīm getting there...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Modo.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	137855

Also, I donīt think I need to spend one year with any app to be able to know how fast you can do things in it. Itīs obvious that practice is what makes anyone fast with any tool, but thereīre tools that are easier to use.

Ok, those HV puffballs are the biggest pain for me in Lightwave...
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Over View Post
    Iīm getting there...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Modo.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	137855

Also, I donīt think I need to spend one year with any app to be able to know how fast you can do things in it. Itīs obvious that practice is what makes anyone fast with any tool, but thereīre tools that are easier to use.
    Nice screen grab - is that for personal use or for a simulator?
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i7-5960X OC@4.2GHz | 32Gb | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti + GeForce GTX 970 4Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast