Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why have you stuck with LW all this time!

Honestly?

These days it's mainly because I know it and everything I have built up over the last 20-odd years is based around it. Having said that...

...without LWCAD I would've abandoned Modeler ages ago - LWCAD gave me tools that made me go 'aahhh', in a good way. That was a few years ago.

I've loved LW's renderer up til now, but jumping on the Octane train a few months ago I had yet another 'aaaahhh' moment, and now hate going back to surfacing in LW.

UVing wasn't something I *had* to bother with in LW - I used it occasionally, but Octane made me use it more, and so I picked up 3D Coat, and now I love UVing - yet another 'aaahhh' moment.

So the truth is, right this very minute, I model in LWCAD, render in Octane, UV and texture in 3D Coat.

What keeps me in LightWave is purely not really knowing how much the other packages are offering for the buck, or their workflow.
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i7-5960X OC@4.2GHz | 32Gb | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti + GeForce GTX 970 4Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

Quote Originally Posted by kopperdrake View Post
    Honestly?

These days it's mainly because I know it and everything I have built up over the last 20-odd years is based around it. Having said that...

...without LWCAD I would've abandoned Modeler ages ago - LWCAD gave me tools that made me go 'aahhh', in a good way. That was a few years ago.

I've loved LW's renderer up til now, but jumping on the Octane train a few months ago I had yet another 'aaaahhh' moment, and now hate going back to surfacing in LW.

UVing wasn't something I *had* to bother with in LW - I used it occasionally, but Octane made me use it more, and so I picked up 3D Coat, and now I love UVing - yet another 'aaahhh' moment.

So the truth is, right this very minute, I model in LWCAD, render in Octane, UV and texture in 3D Coat.

What keeps me in LightWave is purely not really knowing how much the other packages are offering for the buck, or their workflow.
    Sounds very much like me. I should do more UV'ing so importing models into Unity is easier! But just habbit. Love LWCAD, OCTANE and LW's Camera manipulations!

I do 3D modeling and animation for an engineering company. For what I do - Lightwave works just fine (it could of course be better). I've used Lightwave for a long time so it's familiar - that's the biggest thing for me. It used to be, when I was younger, learning a new program was interesting and exciting. Now however, (now that I'm oooold) - I have so few active brain cells that learning something new requires something old to be forgotten. As much as LWG pisses me off in their horrible treatment of us users - I'm still not going to go to another program. So I guess we are just stuck with each other for the foreseeable future! I'm not sure who has the worse hand - me or LWG!
    Somewhere between the Darkness and the Light

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    I do 3D modeling and animation for an engineering company. For what I do - Lightwave works just fine (it could of course be better). I've used Lightwave for a long time so it's familiar - that's the biggest thing for me. It used to be, when I was younger, learning a new program was interesting and exciting. Now however, (now that I'm oooold) - I have so few active brain cells that learning something new requires something old to be forgotten. As much as LWG pisses me off in their horrible treatment of us users - I'm still not going to go to another program. So I guess we are just stuck with each other for the foreseeable future! I'm not sure who has the worse hand - me or LWG!
    Basically the same for me. Most of my 3D work these days is for corporate clients so my needs from a 3D software are not all that great. As such, I only use a fraction of Lightwave's capabilities so no need for me to move onto anything else at this point in time. Also, if I'm being honest, I'm pretty lazy and don't want to invest the time learning something new.

I am investing the time to learn Zbrush though because it's more "fun" than other 3D programs.
    -Joshua Jorgensen

I'm 62 and am partly retired due to medical issues, but I can say I've been with Lightwave since it's inception. My client work never had any real demands and has been mainly industrial in nature. Too old to even want to learn a new app.

I'm 90% retired also: I became a pretty serious hobbyist, then became a pretty lazy hobbyist. I'm looking at Modo, and slowly learning Blender also. Blender is weird, but amazingly powerful. LW is simply familiar -- that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DrStrik9 View Post
    Blender is weird, but amazingly powerful. LW is simply familiar -- that's about it.
    Blender is incredibly weird but at the price and features, I keep thinking I need to get into it at some point but honestly it really puts me off. I just saw the features coming for next year and it looks like they will be adding workspaces which in my opinion are long overdue for that app. But for now, I'm pretty happy with Modo.

In order of importance.
    1. Price
    2. Good renderer with unlimited render nodes
    3. Familiarity

All three are now irrelevant.

1. Blender is free
    2. Lightwave is not the only one with a good renderer with unlimited render nodes
    3. Maya, max, modo, blender are equally familiar now. Lightwave becoming less familiar now since i haven't used it much in months and no Lwnext updates helps it become more irrelevant.

Because it's great! I look at what it can do rather that constantly post about what it can't do...but only lazy people post that. There is always a way...
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Loving Lightwave since LW 5.6. Lightwave does everything I have ever needed it to do - without exception. The render is great. Great Plugins are plentiful and the new python support is great. I like 2015 better than the 8's and 9's. I think the move toward Core was a stumble. I think they should have filled the High Schools schools with free copies. I dislike subscription software or cloud software - I hope we do neither. And if they do I will stick with the stand alone version. I love the dual screen to model and render. I love the way I can modify everything about the interface. I dislike Max because it is way over priced and I believe it is so prevalent because of dumping into the warez market place during the 90's. In the 90's 3D Max was in every HS kids computer who wanted to try 3D, they got it free and they became the next generation of game designers/animators. LW on the other hand was fairly expensive and the trial was very limited. - Just an old mans thoughts on a great program - Lightwave.

Modeling in LW is such a breeze; I work with interface hidden. Feels great that all my modeling is reduced to hotkeys and mouse-menus.

The rendering in LW is quite good and can't wait until the new PBR comes out. My first project turned out so good it convinced me LW has all the tools necessary to do nice illustrations. You can do things fast in the software and with practice you can get professional results that are Maya or Max level.

My only request is streamlining and modernizing its rigging/animation workflow. If it did, I would stick with LW 100%. Maybe when integration happens is the next logical step.

I keep on giving Blender a try but it's interface is so ugly I can't stay in it for more than ten minutes. Despite the fact that Blender has put out some impressive short films recently, for now LW is pretty good for me.
    Last edited by pbaroque20; 09-06-2017 at 09:16 PM.

I got started in the Amiga days, because it was the only thing that did what it did that a person could afford. When Amiga died I switched to 3dStudio Dos. When windows became the thing I tried every thing I could get my hands on and liked Lightwave best. I've stuck with it because I don't use it a great deal and haven't found any thing that was to taxing to do with it, that I had to do. I do keep looking at what else is out there, but am content to wait a bit longer for Lightwave next and work with what I have now. I am shocked at what Blender and Daz have put into their free software and do use both some.

Why have I stuck with LW all this time? Everything seems pretty easy and straightforward. Modeler needs tons of attention, but it gets the job done - if rather awkwardly at times.

I hop in now and then because of LWCAD and TFD. That's about it.
    3D Generalist
    i7 5960x, 128GB, GTX 1080, Windows 10

I've been practically laughing my *** off with so many of you saying you love LW's render engine! That truly is hilarious. Clearly you have not spent enough (or any) time with Octane LW, or any physically-based render engines at all, for that matter. LightWave is honestly like a plugin for my LW Octane, which I have been using (every day, doing tons of commercial work) for 5 years now, and have used LW's engine twice in that time for a couple HV renders. Yeah, LW's engine is good if you want your renders to look like cg from a late 90's sci-fi show. If LW3DG would have taken my advice all those many months ago, and abandoned their engine, and made Octane the official engine of LW, we would not be in this effing mess. My guess is they are taking all this time because they are probably trying desperately to get their engine in the realm of Octane, VRay, Corona, RedShift, etc, etc... Hey LW3DG, that's a fool's errand, if there ever was one!

Had Octane for LW not arrived when it did five years ago, and also for Juanjo (Octane LightWave/Houdini plug dev god), I would have been gone ages ago.

I love the text-based interface. Let's not start that discussion yet again. Text is king. Faster. Better. Period.

I still love Modeler, even though it does need tons of love. I always have ZB for things that can't be done with LW and its plugs (3rdPwrs etc) and have Painter for texturing. I own 3DCoat but haven't dug in too deep because I manage pretty nicely with LW's UVs etc. But I do know I am doing myself a disservice by not switching my UV work to 3DCoat. Maybe after this gig...

In the end, I stick with LW because I am still finding myself able to earn a damn fine living using it. Layout is my camera/transform gizmo for Octane, and I do 80% of my modeling in Modeler.
    Last edited by Norka; 09-07-2017 at 07:09 AM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast