Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why have you stuck with LW all this time!

Why have you stuck with LW all this time!

I have been using LW since 2001ish. I used 3D studio (not max) prior to that a little bit. I don't want this to be a bash or mass exit thread. Curious if others find the same things in the liking of LW as I do.

I kind of like the fact that it's two programs. Although we are a small studio it does allow for collaboration that isn't possible (I don't think) in other apps. Modelers can tweak models and animators, scene setups etc...can do their work.

I LOVE being able to so easily access points and polys. I do like some of Modo's methods in this area too (I play with a trial every time they come out with a new version). But it just doesn't feel the same in many ways.

Love the easy to develop textures/surfaces in LW. I use Octane now and it's implementation is very easy too.

We don't do a lot of animation per say, so instances and camera movement is about all we do in Layout. I love the instancing we have and how easy it is, but this too as far as I know is pretty robust in other packages.

We use LWCAD quite a bit, love the tools they have brought to modeler. Not sure what we would have done without it 5-6 years ago. Probably would have jumped ship back then...

Things I hope get better in NEXT, coming 2020

Snapping native in modeler/layout
    Interface that can be customized, similar to Modo. Expandable, movable tabs etc..etc..
    We have moved to Octane, but would love an update to the native engine.
    Not sure what else at the moment, we are easy to please, until we see something innovative that makes us go "huh!"

Love Lightwave!

LWCAD is really the only reason I still use Lightwave. There is nothing else like LWCAD out there! If it wasn't for LWCAD I would have very few reasons to stick with Lightwave and would probably be using Modo. Lightwave is still very competent in the area of rendering so because of LWCAD I choose to model and render in Lightwave.

I'm hoping LW NEXT will give me more reasons to keep using Lightwave for Arch Viz work.
    Last edited by Nicolas Jordan; 09-06-2017 at 09:38 AM.

Visualization FreeLance THIBAULT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    LWCAD is really the only reason I still use Lightwave. There is nothing else like LWCAD out there! If it wasn't for LWCAD I would have very few reasons to stick with Lightwave and would probably be using Modo. Lightwave is still very competent in the area of rendering so because of LWCAD I choose to model and render in Lightwave.

I'm hoping LW NEXT will give me more reasons to keep using Lightwave for Arch Viz work.
    Yes, for me too ! LWCAD on ..... 3DS MAX !

Muscle memory. I am just way faster in LW than anytihng else. I know where everything is and I know where the land mines are.

Quote Originally Posted by THIBAULT View Post
    Yes, for me too ! LWCAD on ..... 3DS MAX !
    And LWCAD on C4D for me. LWCAD for modo would be intersting too. LWNext could be interesting for large meshes and heavy scenes.
    Last edited by Marander; 09-06-2017 at 10:35 AM.

LWCAD would be the only reason I would ever open up modeler. I've since moved to Modo for modeling as it's just better in almost every imaginable way. It's also updated 3 times a year and the modeling environment is continually improving unlike modeler.

I would like to see LightWave survive and continue to improve. And my hope is that I will find the new renderer useful but honestly I've lost my patience with their silence. The only thing you can do is laugh or cry at this point.

Modeler with LWCAD is still my main app, because I just have a good feeling and easy workflow with it, although I use more and more 3D-coat for UV-mapping, and substance suite for almost all texturing. Then, I use layout for every rendering and animation. I have started to test Marmoset Toolbag and plan to buy it to get real time PBR renders and turntables of my models, but it is not suitable for heavy scenes not even speaking of complex animation. I do put a lot of hope in Next PBR renderer to complete some animation projects I have and ease the use of my maps painted in substance painter. In other words, I'm used to LW, I had to add some other apps to extend my possibilities, but I certainly don't plan to change my main app in the foreseeable future.

Lightwave is my best 3D friend along with Zbrush, Substance and Blender. I do all my renderings in LW and most of my animation works as well. Sculpting/painting/smoke and fire happens outside.

There is no other choice I guess.

After dropping the dongle, LW is the only closed (blender can't play nice with other tool/lib due to license) 3d app that is cheap and you can keep it (houdini don't count, neither is C4D) that still care about CA (modo, due to current critism, doesn't count).

I create concept art, models and animation and the occasional 2D graphic design. Maya, Zbrush and Affinity has become the dynamic trio for me. I'm liking redshift for rendering just fine, very fast and interactive. I don't think I'll be needing Lightwave or Adobe soon, unless the job requires it. Then I'll just get a temp sub from Adobe.
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 09-06-2017 at 11:15 AM.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

i like it for organic SubD modeling and simple HardSurface stuff.
    also like the launch time, basically Zero.
    IKBooster handles are great.
    Endomorphs, nice.
    lowcost Awesome plugins > RHiggit / Advanced Placement / Turbulence / Fluids / Syflex / 3rd
    DPont
    finally got LWcad, still have to learn it / test it.
    LW > Octane
    LightWavers sharing info. i wish i could share more, however.. > time.
    no damn forced Subscription  

biggest drawbacks >
    missing workplane, non interactive tools, slow modeler, no paint option, no Modeler Love in long time, plugin dependent, Layout no modeling options, FiberFX.
    ++
    Last edited by erikals; 09-06-2017 at 12:51 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    And LWCAD on C4D for me. LWCAD for modo would be intersting too. LWNext could be interesting for large meshes and heavy scenes.

Yes a port of LWCAD for Modo would be nice but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm a rare breed in that I do motion graphics in LW, so DP Kit is essential!

Other things that have kept me going: love the renderer, Instance Generator and Spline Control, the amount of time and effort spent learning it, LW CAD and host of others. Without the 3rd party stuff I'd be a C4D user by now (I hope LW3dg are taking notice, theres a lot riding on the next release for me).

I enjoy modeling and the fact that it does lots of things by hitting one key without having to use menus with clunky settings.
    Renderer is awesome.
    Lots of animating and dynamics tools.
    I lllllooooovvvvveeee instancer.
    VPR is great.
    Its interface is gorgeouse.
    With a little proceduralism and better undo LW will be the number one 3d package.
    Lightwave rocks.

Very interesting mix of things here. Thanks for the feedback, I'm hoping LW3DG is watching from a far...

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast