Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Country Railway

A.K.A "The Silver Fox" Gungho3D's Avatar
    Just noticed your render times "... around 26 hours to render 1 frame at 1920x1080 (that's the Vizpark surface settings, with reflection on)"

My recommend: remove those items which are racking up huge render times, replace them for development with stand-in/proxy objects. Get all the lighting etc issues solved first, then with confidence add the Vizpark stuff if you must ...

Thanks for the tips. The great thing about instances is you can turn them on and off so yeah whilst working on improvements the scene just has the Xfrog plants (render much faster) and the underlying surface textures.
    Adrian.

"Dreams are good, but memories are better"

Here's an update, am I moving in the right direction with regards to the lighting? I know there's still a lot of work to do on other things yet, at the moment I'm focusing on getting the lighting correct before moving on. I've also had a first go at putting in some haze, needs lots of refinement I think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CountryRailwayII-Render2.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	923.3 KB 
ID:	138254
    Adrian.

Gerry will be pleased the tractor finally got upsized ... :-)

There is now sunlight evident in the render, even if with long shadows.

Bear in mind that with some work / animations / renders, there comes a time when you must draw a line in the sand and press forward, get the thing (or part thereof) done, and do the next "thing", be that another project or something else needing completion. A good rule of thumb is to consider "fit for purpose" as a general guide. In summary, don't chain yourself to absolute perfection ... or at least know when to cut the umbilical :-)

Ahh yeah, that's a trick I'm still struggling to learn :-)
    Adrian.

What strikes me is that the sun seems to be to the left (if you look at the clouds) but at the same time it seems like a light casting shadows from the right? I also think the little road with the mini seems a little too rough and too narrow, it have almost a cartoon feeling to it. The brick bridge is a little too perfekt, both texture and geometry, try breaking it up somehow. Otherwise you just need some good shading to pull it off.

Ps. I would also consider moving the tractor away, I don't think it help to sell the image.
    Last edited by Ztreem; 10-10-2017 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian View Post
    Ahh yeah, that's a trick I'm still struggling to learn :-)
    Aren't we all :-) But it can be the difference of a job going "sour", as in it becomes such a drag to finish. For longevity's sake, you have to strategise so as to maintain a measure of creative freshness for each successive work. Let the overall effort keep some of that "man I really enjoy doing this" appeal ...

think a lot of the problem stems from colour, you have one red vehicle, one blue and one yellow one, almost as if you deliberately decided not to use the same colour twice. This is a distraction from the focal point of the scene, the locomotive, the tractor is a Jon Deer and they like Henry Fords original Model T only come in one colour, green, ok so you don't want a green tractor on green grass you might think but you do it will make it less of a distraction for the eye, I would have nix the red car and made it grey or black, toned down the Mini or made it silver and brightened up the loco. If you go ArtStation or any of the other art sites and observe how artist work you will see that one of the ways they discipline themselves by restricting there colour pallet, thats a pretty good idea in 3D too.

Thanks Gerry, I will change the colour of the vehicles for sure, what you say makes total sense. I hadn't actually thought along those lines and it wasn't a conscious decision to not use the same colour twice so an interesting observation.

I feel as if i've learned two new valuable lessons today :-)
    Adrian.

Agree with comments. Looks like the bridge needs to be chamfered to soften the hard edges. I would raise the sun higher, so it hits the train with a bit of rim light. Currently it looks like the hill is putting the train in shadow, which is making it look a bit flat, while we have a hard shadow on the bridge behind it. Lastly, the guy's left arm leaning on the top of the car door is creating a very straight, level, line that looks unnatural. I would move the arm to a different pose, like "hands in pockets" or something.

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    Took this this afternoon. Might give you a better idea as to colours and suchlike.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0163.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	391.2 KB 
ID:	138256

Low sun, Virgin Train, bridge in background, did my best!
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12