Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V-Ray and Lightwave

V-Ray and Lightwave

What are the semblance of opportunities someone might expect to see a V-Ray plugin for LW? Not sure about the status of the new LW. But, like the idea of seeing some decent plugins reinforced, so I'm asking. Please don't smother me in smashface.
    "Once one can articulate an important idea into a concise statement, then one can use the statement and not have to have the fear of changing behavior." - Ed Catmull on Pixar creativity

I believe it hurts LW not to have Vray available, if that's what you're asking. Your question was a bit unclear.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.2),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

I am just wondering what is in the air, if anything on its development. You all have your ear to the ground much more than I do, though I understand we don't know what's going on in general. So, that was it - is there any possibility someone has said they will develop it? I looked into the LWtoA development, only to find it is not available right now and Solid Angle isn't doing it. So, I'm curious about LW. I own Modo...so V-Ray could be something I care about from that angle, but would rather (MUCH rather) do V-Ray from LW.
    "Once one can articulate an important idea into a concise statement, then one can use the statement and not have to have the fear of changing behavior." - Ed Catmull on Pixar creativity

Unless something is already in the works and being liaised, I'm taking a guess that this would be the worse time to develop a VRay Lightwave plugin, simply because LW Next is an unknown quantity on the rewrite front and could break a new plugin. But I only hear good things of VRay. LW Next compatibility would be awesome, especially with a VRay GPU version. Having said that, their own LW renderer is being rewritten and may herald some pleasant surprises.

V-Ray has always been very impressive, I agree. I can't wait to see what LW Next does and I can always hope & pray some good plugins take full advantage of it.

I think it absolutely hurts LW to not have a VRay version for it. Especially since so many studios use it as standard. But it is not a requirement.. Many use Renderman as well.. etc.. In the end, all that matters is how well the rendered material behaves in comp.

Quote Originally Posted by rcallicotte View Post
    I own Modo...so V-Ray could be something I care about from that angle, but would rather (MUCH rather) do V-Ray from LW.
    The MODO V-Ray integration is very well implemented, IMO. Smooth as native in most cases, with only a few "requires-schematic-connection" extreme oddities. CG did a really, really good job, and they've been very attentive to addressing MODO V-Ray issues raised in the Foundry or V-Ray forums. It's not unusual to see a bug cited one day, then fixed and released in a nightlies build within the next day or two.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.2),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

jwiede +1

MichaelT - yes, I agree - it's the artist, after all...you're right.

FYI...days ago I wrote to Corona Team asking how they decide a new plugin...and if, after joining Vray Team, they still are interested in Lightwave in some way...this is the answer, so please contact any developers that you know!I think this could be a good moment for start a collaboration...

We are definitely interested in Lightwave as a platform, especially taking into account how many requests like this we are getting from its users.
    Once the Lightwave development is started, we will announce it publicly, so currently the best idea is to track our social media channels such as Facebook page, forum, and blog.

That's a good, polite answer, nothing more.

I hope Corona Rendering could be possible in Lightwave! I'll contact them to let them know I'm interested as well.

We also need to keep this sort of innovation (kept up to the present version at 1.2!) - http://www.euriskostudios.com/es/plugin_pages/vRoom.php
    Last edited by rcallicotte; 09-06-2017 at 08:33 AM.

i would be interested potentially in a corona plugin as well, but the problem is that for any developer it would be kind of an adventure to start programming for a platform which nowadays has a totally obscure development status. i fear that almost no developer will start a larger plugin development at this stage and wait until/if a new version will be released. after all, there are most likely significant SDK changes connected to a new release, which would make a lot of development work obsolete very soon. another problem could be that our platform is almost perceived as 'dead end' when seen from outside. that was also one of the reasons why nextlimit after many years dropped LW support for version maxwell V4.

i agree with others here, the only option we have nowadays is to contact them personally and show that LW is still alive! and the other hope is that soon lightwave 3d group will make some reliable official statement about the next LW version.

my 2 eurocents - cheers

markus
    3dworks visual computing + photography
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

OSX 10.12.x, macpro 5.1, nvidia gtx 980 ti, LW2015.3, octane 3.x

Quote Originally Posted by 3dworks View Post
    the problem is that for any developer it would be kind of an adventure to start programming for a platform which nowadays has a totally obscure development status. i fear that almost no developer will start a larger plugin development at this stage and wait until/if a new version will be released.
    The Lightwave brand has been driven into the abyss. I hope it works out but I'm done defending LW Group.
    Last edited by Chris S. (Fez); 09-06-2017 at 03:14 PM. Reason: *Clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    The Lightwave brand has been driven into the abyss. I hope it works out but I'm done defending LW Group.
    Good to know. Thanks for your input.
    Salut!,
    Allabulle.

Quote Originally Posted by allabulle View Post
    Good to know. Thanks for your input.
    Since 5.5 I have convinced quite a few professional contacts to purchase Lightwave. The number of those licenses still being used: 2, including mine.

Next will hopefully jump start the third party market but...honestly...you think there are enough active Lightwave users for Chaos Group to invest in a Vray-for-LW plug?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast