Thread: Dante Output not working properly

Dante Output not working properly

Hi Guys,

We are preparing our Tricaster for our 9 month around the world Sailing Race. And for this we are trying to get Dante to work with our Tricaster.
    We have installed the Dante virtual sound card software on the Tricaster, and we can send audio into the Tricaster via another Dante machine, However, we are not able to get any audio to come out of the Tricasters outputs via Dante. We can see the audio bars going, we have a tone on the analog side, but the sound just does not show up on a receiving device with Dante.
    This is with the proper routing done on the Dante routing software.

If you guys have any ideas or things that you think I might be doing wrong, I would be very happy with your help

Thanks,

Rikr

Just to verify, the first two channels of Master and AUX1 are what are output from the TriCaster to Dante, which appear as Dante channels 1 thru 4. Is that what you are trying to use?
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Send a screen capture of Dante Controller so we can make sure you have the correct routes checked off.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Hi Guys,

Thanks for responding and sorry for the late reply. Our setup is packed every night in a shipping container while we prepare, so we have to build everything out for the testing.

To answer both of your questions;

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    Just to verify, the first two channels of Master and AUX1 are what are output from the TriCaster to Dante, which appear as Dante channels 1 thru 4. Is that what you are trying to use?
    Yes, That's what I'm trying to do

Quote Originally Posted by joseburgos View Post
    Send a screen capture of Dante Controller so we can make sure you have the correct routes checked off.
    I've attached a couple of screenshots showing the different results I'm getting.

The setup I'm using to test the dante output is as follows:

I have a Macbook with Dante Via running that is acting as the receiver. (during the race this will be a S32 desk)
    I have a TC1 to transmit the audio over dante to the macbook.

At the moment I have the following working;

Transmit from Macbook into DVS Receive 1-2 in windows mode

Transmit from Macbook into DVS Receive 1-2 in Tricaster mode
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	working receiving in Tricaster.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	137848
    Transmit from Windows Mode via DVS Transmit 1-2 into Macbook.

Name:	transmit working in windows.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	137847

While changing none of the settings, but just booting up into Tricaster mode and trying to transmit in tricaster mode to the macbook does not work.

see Dante controller for routing:

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 15.47.29.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	686.8 KB 
ID:	137846

And a picture of Dante Via to show you I'm listening to Dante channel 1-4 on my macbook local output (top right):

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 15.58.56.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	438.5 KB 
ID:	137849

I'd love to hear if you guys have any other idea's. I'm pretty stuck at the moment as every single Dante feature is working as it should except for the outputs out of tricaster.

Am I missing a tickbox or something like that?

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it!

Rikr
    Last edited by stwr; 09-07-2017 at 08:59 AM.

Hi guys!

Hoping you have some time to look at my reply, it's still not working as it is supposed to..

Many thanks!

You have configured Dante INPUT and not Dante OUTPUT ...

#
    Quote Originally Posted by ACross View Post
    You have configured Dante INPUT and not Dante OUTPUT ...
    Hi ACross, Do you mean in the Tricaster? Can you please show me where I would configure the Dante outputs in the trickster software?

As I have definitely set everything up in the Dante controller correctly (and tested)

I have gotten word back from newtek support who is apparently aware of the issue and is working on a fix.

Thanks Rikr

Quote Originally Posted by stwr View Post
    I have gotten word back from newtek support who is apparently aware of the issue and is working on a fix.
    Just to clarify, Customer Service isn't exactly "working on a fix". That's not really their role.

To explain: broadly, CS handles 'customer side' issues (and they're quite good at it!) Occasionally they will refer an item back to engineering. It might be something they haven't been able to resolve, or are unsure about, or just to pass along interesting user observations or requests. Ultimately, the resolution of the matter afterward is in the hands of engineering, and can vary from 'this is by design', thanks for pointing it out', 'interesting idea, we'll consider it', etc., to 'it was a bug, and it's fixed.'

In this specific case, TC1 has actually never supported Dante output - which makes this a feature request. Note that it does have Dante input support, which I think is what Andrew was getting at (he probably wrote that on his phone on the way to IBC, so didn't get into much detail). This all said, this is something we are actively looking into - but I'm truly sorry I can't make any promises at this precise moment.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Just to clarify, Customer Service isn't exactly "working on a fix". That's not really their role.

To explain: broadly, CS handles 'customer side' issues (and they're quite good at it!) Occasionally they will refer an item back to engineering. It might be something they haven't been able to resolve, or are unsure about, or just to pass along interesting user observations or requests. Ultimately, the resolution of the matter afterward is in the hands of engineering, and can vary from 'this is by design', thanks for pointing it out', 'interesting idea, we'll consider it', etc., to 'it was a bug, and it's fixed.'

In this specific case, TC1 has actually never supported Dante output - which makes this a feature request. Note that it does have Dante input support, which I think is what Andrew was getting at (he probably wrote that on his phone on the way to IBC, so didn't get into much detail). This all said, this is something we are actively looking into - but I'm truly sorry I can't make any promises at this precise moment.
    Hi Sbowie,

You are totally right, CS had mentioned engineering was working on a fix. They have replied now that that was a miscommunication and there is indeed no support on the TC1 for dante outputs at this time. Thank you very much for clarifying, it's sad as we were under the impression that the TC1 would do everything the 8000 did and more, but we'll go and do it the analog route for now. We really hope Dante support will be more broadly implemented as it is pretty much the standard for AoIP, as NDI is for video.

Thanks again for clarifying, and sorry if I came across a little blunt in my other message, was not supposed to.

Cheers, Rikr

ps. I've added my support for Dante in the feature request section.

Thanks for understanding, and please be assured that my reply wan't intended as a rebuke. As you can imagine, a number of individuals can be involved in handling a support request, and we're all imperfect (yours truly in the forefront in that respect), so we wanted to take the time to make sure that what we were communicating was accurate and honest, and did not mislead in any way.

Feature request noted and understood.

Quote Originally Posted by stwr View Post
    Hi Sbowie,

You are totally right, CS had mentioned engineering was working on a fix. They have replied now that that was a miscommunication and there is indeed no support on the TC1 for dante outputs at this time. Thank you very much for clarifying, it's sad as we were under the impression that the TC1 would do everything the 8000 did and more, but we'll go and do it the analog route for now. We really hope Dante support will be more broadly implemented as it is pretty much the standard for AoIP, as NDI is for video.

Thanks again for clarifying, and sorry if I came across a little blunt in my other message, was not supposed to.

Cheers, Rikr

ps. I've added my support for Dante in the feature request section.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")