Thread: Basic NDI hookup questions (TC8000 to TC Mini and VS4000)

Newtek Elite Partner

Basic NDI hookup questions (TC8000 to TC Mini and VS4000)

The scope of work is:

Building 1
    TC8000 AE
    TalkShow VS4000
    TalkShow is connected to TC8000 via SDI with embedded audio.

Building 2
    TC Mini HDMI AE
    Laptop running Powerpoint connected to Mini via NDI Scan Converter
    Camera and microphone connected to Mini via HDMI

Building 3
    Projector
    Screen
    Speakers

Mini is connected to 8000 via NDI

The person in Building 2 will provide talking head video and Powerpoint presentations to the Skype participants via TC8000 NDI inputs.

My questions are:

1. Can the talking head in B-2 interact with the TalkShow callers without being one of the TalkShow callers? In other words, can he get a mix-minus feed from the TC8000 via NDI and carry on a conversation in real time with the Skype callers?

2. Will all the Skype callers get a mix-minus audio feed as well? (This seems obvious, but I don't have any real TalkShow experience.)

3. Can the TC8000 operator in B-1 control the switching on the Mini? Or will there need to be another operator in B-2?

4. Would I use NDI Connect Pro to take a Program feed from the TC8000 to B-3 for display to a group of people?

Thanks. Of course, the customer needs to know that this configuration will work by tomorrow...
    Last edited by eracer; 08-24-2017 at 12:30 PM.

Hi,

First things first, I'm assuming all buildings are on the same gigabit LAN, correct? That is imperative for NDI.

Why use SDI between TalkShow and 8000? You can get all 4 Skype channels into TriCaster, and also easily provide return video and mix-minus audio, all via NDI over the network.

1. Can the talking head in B-2 interact with the TalkShow callers without being one of the TalkShow callers? In other words, can he get a mix-minus feed from the TC8000 via NDI and carry on a conversation in real time with the Skype callers?

** Yes, that should not be an issue. Both your TriCasters have 4 audio mixes with advanced matrix routing, and 4 independently configurable NDI output mixes.

2. Will all the Skype callers get a mix-minus audio feed as well? (This seems obvious, but I don't have any real TalkShow experience.)

** You need to set up the mix-minus in TriCaster Audio Mixer, then also check the appropriate boxes in Skype TX Control software for return audio channels - https://support.newtek.com/hc/en-us/...-audio-routing

3. Can the TC8000 operator in B-1 control the switching on the Mini? Or will there need to be another operator in B-2?

** You can't control the Mini switching remotely from the 8000, however, you may not need to really. The 8000 will be able to access all cameras connected to the Mini over NDI, as if they were connected locally to the 8000...thus all switching could be done on the 8000. You would need to configure the NDI sources from Mini as inputs on the 8000.

4. Would I use NDI Connect Pro to take a Program feed from the TC8000 to B-3 for display to a group of people?

** All you need is the free NDI Monitor app running on a PC in B3, then connect that PC to display/projector.

Overall, I'd confidently say this is all POSSIBLE but would require an experienced person to configure and operate it all effectively. Not for inexperienced users to tackle. And again this is assuming solid LAN between buildings with good bandwidth (as if in same building). College campuses are good for that.

I had some experience with original VS100 and software, but recently had to setup a new TC1 with a VS4000 for a total of 6 Skype channels between the two units. Microsoft recently made major changes to their Skype TX controller software, and Newtek had to follow suit with their own TalkShow update, so really it was like starting all over for me again, completely new Skype interfaces on both ends with a learning curve!

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: PTZ Optics 20x SDI

Newtek Elite Partner
    Thank you Jeff. I'm going to be the inexperienced guy setting this all up. I've got a lot of experience with Tricasters (I'm the trainer for the company) but our customer base doesn't use TalkShow much (or NDI at all - except for Scan Converter.) So... I'm going to get some OTJ training.

We're pushing to sell more to customers that can use Talkshows, and especially NDI. This is a major corporation, and they have a very robust gigabit network.

You asked: "Why use SDI between TalkShow and 8000?"
    They will be in the same physical space, so I thought it would make sense. Since the 8000 can handle the audio routing to the Mini, and the return audio will be coming over NDI, I thought it logical. The 8000 has 4 cameras hooked up to SDI already, so I thought I might be running out of NDI assignable, simultaneously live inputs.

I would connect the TalkShow and TC using NDI in both directions - easier setup, much less wire.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")