Thread: Goofy Cross-Eyed 3D Example

Goofy Cross-Eyed 3D Example

Just for yucks. :+)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl-jimpPKYk

You need to be able to cross your eyes to see the 3D effect. If you can do this, I think it's pretty cool. The COLOR is far better than anaglyph.

Still...Absolute Amateur scallahan1's Avatar
    Hi,

That was pretty cool. Especially liked the asteroid field part. Had to zoom out my browser a few notches until my eyes would cross far enough. Ages ago I made a crude cross-eyed animation in Vista Pro. Always loved this technique.

Steve

Hey, I found that pretty easy to do actually. Of course I've just had my first Stella and uh, other analgesics but still...

Now to figure out how to mask the sides from the 3D center.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Hey, I found that pretty easy to do actually. Of course I've just had my first Stella and uh, other analgesics but still...

Now to figure out how to mask the sides from the 3D center.
    Heh. Yeah, this is what "Google Cardboard" did pretty well with a cell phone. I might experiment with white borders or something. Playing this on YouTube on a 24" monitor (but not full screen) "sort of" does this, because of the white edges/background of YouTube. I guess the reason I like it is because I've been playing so much with anaglyph, which really is pretty marginal on YouTube because of compression: the colors aren't very accurate by the time they scrunch it down to size.

I like the relaxed eye method a lot too, but I can't get my eyes to go "wall-eyed" like Marty Feldman, so the images have to be too small. But I can cross my eyes so far that I can look at the end of my own nose! :+) On YouTube, the image-size limitation is 960x1080 (half 1920X1080), which is pretty good.

cool...got it working with crossing my eyes as well, though it brings on a bit of a strain to focus like that, and getting back to normal eye focus will yield a kind of nausia effect...cool though, and better than lousy glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    cool..., though it brings on a bit of a strain to focus like that, and getting back to normal eye focus will yield a kind of nausia effect...
    Yeah, it's not for every set of eyes, apparently. Mine actually like it, since I'm naturally sort of cross-eyed to begin with - once I get the 3D view, I can just relax and enjoy it. On the positive side, I notice that image subtleties not seen in compressed anaglyph actually work pretty well using this method, even with the poop compressed out of it on YouTube.

I'd like to see other wavers do the same thing with their own existing content. The basic rule (for me so far) has been 1920x1080 total area, spit in two: each image being 960x1080 (maximum), with the right eye's image being on the left. It requires composing in some kind of video editor (I used After Effects, but almost any would do.) -- All it has to do is put two animations side-by-side.

Newbie Member
    Good job man. Amazing 3D effect