Thread: Process 4K into multicamera sources?

Process 4K into multicamera sources?

I've been looking at the Datavideo KMU-100 4K multicamera processor. Basically it allows the user to split a 4K video camera to become multiple, overlapping, scaled HD cameras. Does the NewTek Studio Input Module allow this function with the TC1?

The workflow I imagine would be 4K camera (4x3GSDI)-> Studio Input Module (NDI)-> TC1. And in the TC1 I'd make multiple sources using that single NDI stream and region-of-interest scale each internal source as I want. Is that a correct all-NewTek workflow to emulate the Datavideo KMU-100?
    Tom F
    Academic Webstreamer

TC1, yeah baby!
    TalkShow 100
    TCXD850 with 5x Panasonic AW-HE100 w/ Panasonic AW-RP555 PTZ
    2x TCXD300 with 3x Sony NX5 w/ Grizzly r-THREE PTZ

Hi Tom,

I don't have the input module, but YES you can do this. I've tried with a 4k NDI source (Premiere timeline via NDI Adobe) and also with a 4k DDR clip. What you do is assign the 4k source to an M/E, then in the M/E use Scale and Position as desired. Using COMPS you can create multiple "scenes" from the one large source. You can then do cuts or animated moves between the different Comp presets. I've done extensive testing and there is ZERO quality loss as long as you don't zoom in past having enough pixels to match the Session (don't scale past quadrant-size for 1080p). A 720p Session would allow you to "zoom in" further than a 1080p Session of course.

Opens up a lot of possibilities.
    Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: PTZ Optics 20x SDI

This is interesting. I had suggested to our NewTek friends to take this concept to the next level: to actually assign specific camera "inputs" to the associated shots and connect them to control surface buttons. I guess one could do that with macros and such, but my suggestion was to do it all natively.

Very exciting stuff ...

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

Quote Originally Posted by fgolman View Post
    actually assign specific camera "inputs" to the associated shots and connect them to control surface buttons.
    That is the exact behavior I had expected. Oh well. That's what I get for not testing the switcher before buying.

Quote Originally Posted by fgolman View Post
    I guess one could do that with macros
    Any suggestions how to go about that?
    Last edited by fonze; 08-02-2017 at 07:08 AM.
    Tom F
    Academic Webstreamer

TC1, yeah baby!
    TalkShow 100

Hi Tom,

Record a Macro of yourself selecting a specific COMP preset in an M/E. Test macro to make sure it does what you want. Assign to a key shortcut - with macro config in LISTENING mode, press the MACRO button on your Control Surface, then select the key that you want assigned to fire your Macro. Just remember that any time you want to run the macro, you must first depress the MACRO button on Control Panel before pressing another key.

If that two-handed approach is awkward for you, perhaps get yourself one of the many varieties of USB keypads from Xkeys.com and assign those keys to switch your Comps - Xkeys is supported natively on TC1, no programming needed. They have a "stick" with 16 keys straight across and you can put your own labels under the keycaps. That would give you 16 presets for Comps.

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: PTZ Optics 20x SDI

The XKeys sticks are exactly what I need. Thanks!
    Tom F
    Academic Webstreamer

TC1, yeah baby!
    TalkShow 100