Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Control for PTZ

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    You can use a Windows USB joystick to control the NewTek PTZ1 using NDI Studio Monitor, not the TriCaster.

Do be aware that currently it requires a dual axis joystick (like a XBox controller). One axis controls pan and tilt the other axis is zoom and focus. I tired my X-Key's XK-12 but since it is only a single axis, you can only control half the functions (zoom and focus in this case). I did put in a feature request to hold down a joystick button to 'flip' the control axis so that you could make the XK-12 work, so hopefully something like that will be added in the future.

On the TriCaster itself, the thought is that you would mainly use the presets during a live event, the manual controls are there to get the presets setup. I would recommend that if you want manual control during a live event you should have a control surface with a joystick.
    Thanks Kanep. I hadn't thought of it but when you mentioned an XBox controller I figured I would give that a shot. Borrowed my son's and hooked it up to a Windows 10 machine (not the Tricaster) to try and control from Newtek Studio Monitor. It sees the controller but when you connect it in settings the camera immediately tilts straight up and stops responding. It doesn't like something. I wanted to try it though because it's possible to use the controller wirelessly which would be great. Trying to find a smaller solution than a large flight game stick. Less about Tricaster integration and more for a smaller Wirecast setup.

Just read something that you need one of the newer controllers to run with Windows 10. Ours are with the original XBox One so that might be my issue.

Quote Originally Posted by fuelcreative View Post
    Just read something that you need one of the newer controllers to run with Windows 10. Ours are with the original XBox One so that might be my issue.
    Actually, the Xbox One is the newer unit (until the NEW new one comes out next month). We just tried our new controller (Xbox one) on a windows 7 machine and it doesn't seem to work.
    Is there a setting somewhere to activate the joystick in Studio Monitor?
    The PC recognizes it when I plug it in (USB insertion sound).

Perhaps it only works with the older Xbox 360 controllers?

...and I just now see I need to BUY the drivers to make this work. $40. I guess they want to make sure they get some money even if you don;t buy another controller. Might test this later today...

Andrew
    Last edited by Red Dog Records; 10-07-2017 at 12:17 PM.
    Tricaster 460AE2 + LC-11
    Rack: Router, switch, backup encoder, captioning devices, audio mixer , etc
    Cameras: Sony FS700, Z150, NX5, NewTek PTZ1, Spark
    http://reddogrecords.com

quick update. Got the Xbox One controller to work partially.
    All buttons turn AF on and off.
    Left joystick up/down will zoom camera in and out
    Left joystick right/left with focus the camera

Right joystick does nothing.
    D-pad does nothing

I looked into remapping applications, but they mostly map keystrokes to the various controller buttons and since there are no keyboard control options in Studio Monitor, they don't help us here.

Anyone else find any good remapping applications?

Andrew
    Tricaster 460AE2 + LC-11

I picked up the most recent controller (X Box ONE S) and it configures to Windows. When I select the controller in Studio Monitor the PTZ camera tilts straight up to the ceiling and freezes there. Focus control works using the controller but no motion control. I'm going to borrow a flight joystick and see if that works.

Since I had no luck with my Xbox one controller, I bought a Logitech 3d pro just to test. Camera immediately moves all the way to the left. Up/down will zoom and some buttons will turn auto focus on and off. No luck on panning. Cant figure out what is movung the camera to the left and also no luck trying to remap the joystick.

So, I know any 2 axis joystick 'should' work, but has anyone actually gotten in to work? If so, which one?
    Tricaster 460AE2 + LC-11

I would bug it.
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....Reporting-Bugs

I don't have a Windows dual axis joystick (just a X-Key's single axis). My understanding is that dual axis is what you need, but I've not been able to test it myself.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

There is a new firmware update out for the PTZ1. Give that a try.
    Last edited by kanep; 10-16-2017 at 04:33 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

Hi,

Is there an SDK for the PTZ NDI camera, so I could control it from a standalone app?

Thank you,
    -Chilton of the Hill People

Quote Originally Posted by ConjureBunny View Post
    Hi,

Is there an SDK for the PTZ NDI camera, so I could control it from a standalone app?

Thank you,
    -Chilton of the Hill People
    All of that information should be part of the NDI v3 SDK.
    https://www.newtek.com/ndi/sdk/
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

I've not tested a Windows joystick using NDI Studio Monitor yet, but would suggest to anyone trying - make sure to CALIBRATE the controller in Windows before trying to control any PTZ camera. Search the web for "calibrate windows joystick" or "calibrate windows game controller" for tips on doing that.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

I don't have a XBox controller, but I just tried using the Kinoni iOS GamePad app. This software allows your iPhose appear as a XBox 360 controller in Windows (it even shows up as 'XBox 360 Controller for Windows' in device manager). There is a free version of this you app that can use. http://www.kinoni.com/

Once I had that installed, I was able to make it work with the PTZ1 camera without issue. The left joystick controls zooms and focus while the right joystick handles pan and tilt. Pressing the A/B/X/Y buttons will toggle auto focus on and off. Something that I noticed as well, is that you don't even need to have the NDI Studio Monitor application selected to control the camera, just move the joystick controls it will respond.

In case it makes a difference, I'm using the 'VHR110' version firmware on the PTZ1 camera.
    Last edited by kanep; 10-24-2017 at 03:41 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    I don't have a XBox controller, but I just tried using the Kinoni iOS GamePad app. This software allows your iPhose appear as a XBox 360 controller in Windows (it even shows up as 'XBox 360 Controller for Windows' in device manager). There is a free version of this you app that can use. http://www.kinoni.com/

Once I had that installed, I was able to make it work with the PTZ1 camera without issue. The left joystick controls zooms and focus while the right joystick handles pan and tilt. Pressing the A/B/X/Y buttons will toggle auto focus on and off. Something that I noticed as well, is that you don't even need to have the NDI Studio Monitor application selected to control the camera, just move the joystick controls it will respond.

In case it makes a difference, I'm using the 'VHR110' version firmware on the PTZ1 camera.
    Kane you just completely made not only my day but my week. This find is going to be amazing for our remote control camera heads as a backup. Thanks Kane!
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Awesome, hope that week is the next week so I get a full week out of it, this week is almost over!
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

Hello Everyone,

I'm wonder if anyone can help me with getting the PTZ1 being controlled within Tricaster and it's CS. I have the TC8000 with AE, and recently bought 2 PTZ1 from Newtek, but despite the reference guides and help pages of the PTZ1 saying that it's pretty easy to add like just "Change the Connection Type for each connected PTZ1 input to NDI", all are selected as NDI, but in the PTZ tab it doesn't show any PTZ, nor I'm getting able to control them anywhere else other than the web interface. In fact by default all possible cameras that were PTZ are already selected as NDI...(odd also that all possible cameras are listed as being able to be selected, instead of the GUI, just either find automatically only the NDI ones, or by just a simple "+" button to add cameras and then get you to each detailed on how you want to connect to (rs-22, NDI, etc)

Also just tested recording Input 1 and 2 (PTZ1 1 and PTZ1 2) and MIX 1 which the feeds were coming from NDI, but only the MIX 1 was with video, the IN 1 and IN 2 were black!

Can anyone elaborate on how exactly you can control 2 PTZ1 cameras on a Tricaster AE with the control surface?

I need to be able to control and record these 2 cameras individually, from the Control Surface (using presets for the 2 cameras, which are on 2 different stages). This should be relative simple but actually it seems that either I'm missing something or there might be a bug?

Also might be a good idea that the manual itself at least refer to a dedicated chapter on "How to Control the PTZ1 WITHIN Tricaster", instead of a very self explanatory on how to use the remote control, since this technology is around ever since the first TVs. You get way more info these days if you have any other PTZ brand and want to control it via Tricaster than with Newtek's own PTZ cameras...

Thanks and regards, Xavier V.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast