Thread: Tricaster 40 Centerfield Cam

Question Tricaster 40 Centerfield Cam

Hey everyone,

My boss has been pushing hard to get a centerfield cam up for our baseball and softball games. I know your typical camera using cat5 and component baluns are good for 300ft, but it's gonna take 1000ft to get a camera out to centerfield.

Are there any boosters for my cat5 and component baluns set up? Or is there a decent wireless setup that people have used/know about?

Thanks!

-Tim

Looks like 1000' is the max distance, so being at that distance could be problematic - pushing the technology.

It would require conversions at both ends, but if you have SDI out of camera, or can convert to SDI, then perhaps use SDI to Fiber converter set. Fiber can literally run for MILES !! Convert SDI back to Component to connect to TC40 then.

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: PTZ Optics 20x SDI

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    Looks like 1000' is the max distance, so being at that distance could be problematic - pushing the technology.

It would require conversions at both ends, but if you have SDI out of camera, or can convert to SDI, then perhaps use SDI to Fiber converter set. Fiber can literally run for MILES !! Convert SDI back to Component to connect to TC40 then.

Thanks
    Just measured the run today and it's shorter than I thought. It's about 600' for the cable run. I know fiber is the best bet, but it is so darn expensive (and I think, a little out of budget).

Someone has to have had this problem before with a Tricaster 40 before!

Before I got a MINI I used a 1000 ft balun setup. I worked well for me. I ran a Go Pro from backboards for basketball. I had one set for component and one for composite. I think you should be OK to use them. I have kept mine around (along with my TC Studio) just in case. I imagine with NDI if I really needed them again I could bring that in via a capture card.

Just a side note, I would go with the best cable you can find. It does make a difference.

It would be worth buying and testing that Hall Research product at that price. You're gonna have trouble finding and converting HD Component to anything that Wireless will send and then turning back into HD Component at the TC end. too many points of failure and the cost of wireless, while down, is still up there.

Just a heads up, these boxes are probably going a lot cheaper than this now. I think even 5 years ago I bought the pair for less than $100.00. You may want to jump on Ebay and see if someone is getting rid of theirs. I would just send you mine but I may still use them at some point down the line.

For example here is a set of 3 on Ebay for $140.00 including shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Muxlab-Vid...YAAOSwRMtZZQZe

Perhaps I'm a little late for the party, but for future reference you could consider and Gigabit Ethernet Extender. Cost is $349, ($395 with 4yr next business day replacement warranty), for each 800 ft you want extended. So one extender will cover 1128 ft using CAT5e UTP cable. (328ft + 800' externder). The 828p Gigabit POE Extender.

For shorter distances up to 656 ft - you can use just a standard Gigabit Switch. If there is no A/C nearby, a battery and power convertor or run a separate shielded twisted pair for low voltage power along with the ethernet.

PS: Max distance is 2,000 feet.

Gordon, how do these differ from the video baluns?

IP extenders - like Gordon posted - are generally not compatible with balun setups, which are just using the copper to send a balanced analog signal, not actually an IP connection.
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber