Thread: Web Captioner, speech to text application

Web Captioner, speech to text application

Just found out about this tool on another forum. https://webcaptioner.com/ Its a free speech to text application that runs in a Chrome web browser.

Using it, with NDI Scan Converter, NDI Transmit and my TriCaster and I was able to do this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkdJn5Loql0

It's not perfect, but not bad for free!
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Wow, that's impressive actually!

I know that it was extremely time and labor intensive to caption my PBS program when it was in the air ... This would have been a godsend! And the price is right!

If you ever watch CC for live programs, this is about as good as they do if not even better. Sometimes, it's actually hilarious the mistakes the captioners make!

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

Very awesome find Thanks

I found who I think is the author of this program on Reddit yesterday. He said that as of accuracy, the cleaner the audio the better it is, oviously, but he believes it to be around 80% or a little better. So for some projects it's not up to par yet. Although I think it is really cool and most likely over 80% accurate from what I tested.

At a glance, it looks far better to me than the live captioning system used by our local tv stations. It's absolutely horrid, with a better than even chance that the text on a screen at any moment will be illegible gibberish.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I agree and plan on using it as a backup or primary for live events. For produced videos I would have to be a little more careful. In education the ADA requires 99% accuracy. I really like this though.

Once more into the CPU!
    Anyone know away to take the generated text and combine it with video for true CC?
    2 TC40 6e.V2
    -BMSC
    -SDI/Component/S-Video
    -LiveText 2.73 w/LT[SB2]
    -YouTube Stream
    _
    SKTV 205 / WTV News
    "Keeping you in tune with school!"
    South Kitsap High School

Hello, all. We're currently working with a TriCaster mini and looking to integrate Closed Captions. Currently we have another tower running webcaptioner.com plugged into our audio board. The unit also has Vmix, NDI Scan Converter, and NDI Transmit. We are trying to find some way to get the webcaptioner feed into the TriCaster so we can have "Live" captions on our video out. Anyone have any luck with getting something like this going?

Tricasters don't support CLOSED captions. If an incoming SDI video feed has embedded captions, they are stripped out in the Tricaster. Also, no Tricaster has the capability to embed closed captions within its SDI feeds.
    What most people do is take the program feed from the Tricaster and then run it through a closed captions encoder (which embeds the captions in the SDI feed). If you're looking to stream the feed, you then need to use a RTMP H.264 encoder that preserves the captions (such as a Teradek Cube).

If you are looking at OPEN captions instead (which are basically subtitles), that's a different matter. You just need a character generator that can take your text feed from your captioner, and send it to the Tricaster using NDI, iVGA or SDI (depending on your setup).

Imry

You can use WebCaptioner to create open captions on the TriCaster output. Currently, use NDI Scan Converter to grab the web browser interface as a feed into TriCaster.

I don't know when this might happens, but I've spoken with the developer of WebCaptioner to add DataLink support so that you can have captions sent in using that method which will save a video input in the process.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.